Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: euro auto manufacturers now have a big problem [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
How? did the vehicles not comply with US standards? This is a different case from where VW plain out cheated to break the laws.

European standards and US standards are different and can't be compared very well. EU allowed for higher NOX emissions while lowering the carbon emissions. In the US, the NOX requirements are lower and the carbon emissions higher.

In the US, Tier 4 requirements that started in 2008 and phased in through 2015 caused engine manufacturers to put urea and SCR systems in place to burn the unburnt fuel and turn NOX into inert gases. Every manufacturer did this Cummins, CAT, JD, CNH, BMW, Mercedes, VW except for some vehicles. This is where VW got into trouble because they wanted to keep their cars cheaper. The engines themselves went through further refinement that keeps more exhaust gas inside the engine to try and burn unburnt fuel. This causes overpowered diesels to have EGR and carbon build up problems on the intake side of the engine. Just a quick note, all these turbo gas car owners are going to start getting surprise carbon build up cost tied in to their car maintenance in the near future since gas engine manufacturers have gone a similar route to increase fuel milage.

Tier 4 requirements were very expensive to meet. To the tune of more than a billion dollars for one of the companies listed above. Diesels without SCR systems will get better fuel consumption and be able to put out more power with the same displacement. There isn't a diesel owner out there that likes this system. To the point that auto manufacturers have been resistant to emissions requirements that would require similar systems on gas vehicles.

With the EU standards for NOX being higher than the US, European cars do not need SCR systems in order to meet the emissions requirements. That was, until this current ruling. The Euro car manufacturers have been trying to resist the need to put SCR systems on in order to keep cost down and have diesel options that are of similar prices to gas vehicles. To put this in perspective, the SCR system on my BMW would cost me close to $5k just in parts. My urea tank replacement parts were $1200! Thanks to the VW scandal, all emissions equipment has been extended to 12yr 120000 miles on BMW vehicles in the US and Canada.

For an emissions stand point, the combustion engine is dead. It will get to a point where manufacturers can not meet the emissions requirements that governments are requiring on any combustion engine and will cause them to be obsolete.
Last edited by: shoff14: Dec 15, 18 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: euro auto manufacturers now have a big problem [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think in the EU that point with respect to diesel has now been met

The issue is how the obsolescence is managed

The massive irony of this is that where I live, hundreds of cruise ships come every year. They are poisonous

My friends work on large private yachts, 60+m and they put out volumes of emissions that dwarf those of owners of diesels
Quote Reply
Re: euro auto manufacturers now have a big problem [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
The cities that have discussed it have said its cars that are already on the road. Not prospective cars

Wow. that would never get through the courts in America.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: euro auto manufacturers now have a big problem [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problems with carbon build up on new turbo direct injection engines is sad and pathetic.

Some of the new non turbo direct injection engines are starting to have problems as well...

Gone are the days of 100,000 miles before your first major repair, mini told me the carbon cleaning should be a 40,000 mile service item, to the tune of $700!

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next