Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Good 500 Time? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:
You in metres or yards ?
Pool / cozzie, or OW and wetsuit ?


Sorry I should have given more info.... 50 meter pool. I do not flip turn nor push hard off the wall. Just not necessary for OW swimmer

You are correct of course..."Just not necessary for OW."

That said, every wall is an opportunity to learn.
Quote Reply
Re: Good 500 Time? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
I do not flip turn nor push hard off the wall. Just not necessary for OW swimmer


flip turns and coming off the wall hard are useful training aids..

500 SCY in 6:30 or under will put you in position to be FOP swim at non-championship races. That's equivalent to 5:50 for 400 LCM (your 50m pool).

At 6:45 or so for 500 scy I was usually top 15 out of the water AG, at USAT nationals.
Not sure how that converts to IM or half though.
Last edited by: doug in co: Dec 13, 18 15:49
Quote Reply
Re: Good 500 Time? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:
You in metres or yards ?
Pool / cozzie, or OW and wetsuit ?


Sorry I should have given more info.... 50 meter pool. I do not flip turn nor push hard off the wall. Just not necessary for OW swimmer

Good grief. Not another "I don't push off the wall because there are no walls on OW" fanatic. If you want to be a faster swimmer you should swim with faster swimmers, and you can bet your ass they'll be doing real pool turns, so you'd better keep up. Trust me, you will make up those missed 1-2 strokes per length each workout by being able to do 500 more yards each time in the faster lane(s).

Support the fight against apostrophe abuse! Is it a contraction? Is it a possessive? If neither, you probably shouldn't use an apostrophe.
Learn more at The Grammar Book
Quote Reply
Re: Good 500 Time? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Calvin386 wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:
You in metres or yards ?
Pool / cozzie, or OW and wetsuit ?


Sorry I should have given more info.... 50 meter pool. I do not flip turn nor push hard off the wall. Just not necessary for OW swimmer

Good grief. Not another "I don't push off the wall because there are no walls on OW" fanatic. If you want to be a faster swimmer you should swim with faster swimmers, and you can bet your ass they'll be doing real pool turns, so you'd better keep up. Trust me, you will make up those missed 1-2 strokes per length each workout by being able to do 500 more yards each time in the faster lane(s).

Hush your mouth. He’s in my AG....

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Unattainable goals for 2019/2020 season. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6944848#p6944848
Quote Reply
Re: Good 500 Time? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I think for the majority of triathletes sub 6:00 is a dream that will not ever be attained. More like 6:20 and 6:45/:50 for M/W to be off or near the very front of the AG swim in the majority of races anyone will do. (local/regional/70.3/IM)

I have data for about 120 adult onset swimmers, we do time trials regularly. There are exactly two who started competitive swimming after 30 and have a 500 time trial under 7:00.

The OP didn't say his age, so I am making a big assumption.


To the original question, what is good; without a frame of reference there's no way to say.

But you are right in that a person who swims 6:20 is right near the very front of a regional race. Though there is usually that one former division 1 swimmer well off the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Good 500 Time? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
desert dude wrote:

I think for the majority of triathletes sub 6:00 is a dream that will not ever be attained. More like 6:20 and 6:45/:50 for M/W to be off or near the very front of the AG swim in the majority of races anyone will do. (local/regional/70.3/IM)

I have data for about 120 adult onset swimmers, we do time trials regularly. There are exactly two who started competitive swimming after 30 and have a 500 time trial under 7:00.
The OP didn't say his age, so I am making a big assumption.
To the original question, what is good; without a frame of reference there's no way to say.
But you are right in that a person who swims 6:20 is right near the very front of a regional race. Though there is usually that one former division 1 swimmer well off the front.


Ya, IME there are almost always 1-4 former D1 guys/girls going in the 17-18 min range for the 1500 m, then a 2-3 min gap and then the best non-D1 guys/girls start coming out at 20-21 min. I've seen this in around 70 or more Oly dist races. DD knows one of these guys, a certain Greg Sanchez who always beat me OOTW by 2-3 min and always was first OOTW at NC races. IIRC, he swam around 16:00 for the 1650 when he swam for UNC.


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next