Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School me on Btols aero wheels
Quote | Reply
Anyone use Btols wheels? They have affordable prices, but don't know how they compare to Zipps/Flos. Price is not much of an issue for me, but just looking for some fast wheels.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Btols aero wheels [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard of them. Do you have a link?

IMHO, this falls into the don't overthink it category. When in doubt, get HED Jet + wheels, as those generally test at or close to the top for most situations. On sale, Jets are an incredible value. You can spend 3x on other brands, but you may not improve (and could get worse). FLO wheels are also awesome and are the no-brainer full carbon option. Again, you can spend 3x FLO wheels and get worse.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Btols aero wheels [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The benefits of carbon fiber over other materials are massively dependent on the fine details of the layup process. Laying carbon in a mould needs to be done by hand so its expensive but is also hard to see which means companies will cut corners to reduce costs. A cheaply build carbon wheel will be no better than a less expensive alloy wheel even if it looks similar to high end carbon wheels. The details on the Btols website indicate they are really cheaply built. Specifically they indicate the carbon weave has little impact on the product. From their website:
Different weaves can either give varying amounts of strength and looks. The rim strength and weight are almost the same. The 3k / 12k / UD / 15k / 18K / 3k twill / 15k twill / silver 18k/ Marble is the choice of cosmetic appearance.
In short, just choose what you like. When ordering, if you need an appearance other than UD / 3K / 12K, you can email us directly or contact us online.

For the above statement to be true the rims have to have been engineered in a way which do not take advantage of carbon fiber. Basically they are building the rims with enough carbon to ensure that no matter the layout the rims hit their strength requirements which means you are better off buying alloy or alloy with a carbon fairing. Similarly the brake track treatment choices are also very suspect as it suggests the only difference between the brake track and the rest of the wheel is a thin surface treatment. In the world of bike parts just because something is carbon doesn't mean its good.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Btols aero wheels [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
The benefits of carbon fiber over other materials are massively dependent on the fine details of the layup process. Laying carbon in a mould needs to be done by hand so its expensive but is also hard to see which means companies will cut corners to reduce costs. A cheaply build carbon wheel will be no better than a less expensive alloy wheel even if it looks similar to high end carbon wheels. The details on the Btols website indicate they are really cheaply built. Specifically they indicate the carbon weave has little impact on the product. From their website:
Different weaves can either give varying amounts of strength and looks. The rim strength and weight are almost the same. The 3k / 12k / UD / 15k / 18K / 3k twill / 15k twill / silver 18k/ Marble is the choice of cosmetic appearance.
In short, just choose what you like. When ordering, if you need an appearance other than UD / 3K / 12K, you can email us directly or contact us online.

For the above statement to be true the rims have to have been engineered in a way which do not take advantage of carbon fiber. Basically they are building the rims with enough carbon to ensure that no matter the layout the rims hit their strength requirements which means you are better off buying alloy or alloy with a carbon fairing. Similarly the brake track treatment choices are also very suspect as it suggests the only difference between the brake track and the rest of the wheel is a thin surface treatment. In the world of bike parts just because something is carbon doesn't mean its good.
Agree and disagree!

You're absolutely right. Their comments suggesting weave is a matter of cosmetics indicates that either the marketing is completely untrustworthy or the wheels are not properly engineered as an optimised functional component - probably both. Based on the text in your quote alone, I wouldn't touch these wheels with a barge pole!

I slightly disagree with your comment that a "cheaply build carbon wheel will be no better than a less expensive alloy wheel even if it looks similar to high end carbon wheels". That's because it implies that an alloy wheel is clearly inferior to a high end carbon wheel and I think that's very debatable - at least for rim brakes. Disc brakes get rid of some of the biggest problems for carbon and may put them out in front.
But I absolutely agree that "just because something is carbon doesn't mean its good".

If I was the OP, I'd steer well clear of these and get something that's a known quantity. HED Jets being a superb example, or if they are determined to go full carbon, go with something reputable with known aero advantages and known reliability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look like your run of the mill chinese carbon wheels. They are most likely fine.

I´ve rode a bunch of those, and a bunch of zipp, hed, reynolds. Nowadays I only ride chinese, since those are the most bang for the buck.

I´m pretty sure the part in the description about the different weaves is only refering to the outer "cosmetic" layer, which I think we can all agree has a very limited influence on performance.
Last edited by: fb: Dec 16, 18 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Btols aero wheels [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outer ply is critical for resisting impact damage. Also, a wheel designed for maximum performance will not have all that many plies, meaning the outer ply will be just as structural as the others. Not saying these wheels won't work, but they're almost certainly overdesigned, questionably aerodynamic, and I'd never buy them over flo or hed.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Btols aero wheels [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Outer ply is critical for resisting impact damage. Also, a wheel designed for maximum performance will not have all that many plies, meaning the outer ply will be just as structural as the others. Not saying these wheels won't work, but they're almost certainly overdesigned, questionably aerodynamic, and I'd never buy them over flo or hed.

Well, I don't know about that. As far as I know the impact resistance comes from the combination of resin and fiber layup of the whole structure. The outer layer is far from "critical".

As I said I have compared a lot of carbon wheels and the Chinese ones are about the same weight as the American and European ones. In my experience they also have about the same durability. Chinese rims have also withstood the uci testing.

There are also a few wind tunnel test out there showing the Chinese rims to be on par with the rest.

But anyway since the OP isn't worried about cost I would (especially in North America where the Hed:s are really well priced) recommend going for a pair of jets.
Last edited by: fb: Dec 16, 18 13:51
Quote Reply