Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Deck material
Quote | Reply
We are getting close to having to replace decks. The cost of getting them stained (condo development) has nearly quadrupled in six years (labor market is crazy hot). So we are thinking of going to a non-stained non-wood material.

This is at between 9 and 10k ft elevation. So crazy cold and snow in the winter and really strong sun in the summer.

We want to walk barefoot on the decks and I’ve heard trex is terrible for this in the sun. (We also have dogs that lie out there to nap in the sun).

The decks are on the second and third story of the building. The second story decks are large maybe 16’x20’ and the third story decks are pretty normal deck sized.

What materials would you investigate? (I’m trying to come up with ideas for the HOA)
Quote Reply
Re: Deck material [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Colorado and have a composite deck. I'm not sure it gets any hotter than wood, and my dog doesn't seem to mind. Make sure you get a capped product, like Trex brand, or it will stain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in San Diego and have composite decking (Cali Bamboo) that is a dark brown color.

When in direct sun, it is hot, but not unbearable. I’d say it’s cooler than hot sand, but certainly hotter than natural wood. My dog stays off of it when it’s hot.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Trex on my last house. I didn't find the deck to be noticeably hotter than wood, but I found it much more slippery in the winter. If I was to build another deck, I'm not sure if I would use Trex again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We used Timbertech. Doesn't look at fake as Trex -- 11 years old and still looks great. I don't find it hotter than a wood deck. Easy installation with hidden screws (but maybe they all use that now?) Definitely would use it next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The composite stuff is really expensive, so get a few quotes and don't fall off your chair when they hand you the quote. Just because you don't have to stain it doesn't mean it isn't maintenance free, you will still have to power wash every year or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Deck material [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We got one quote which after getting the staining quote seemed somewhat reasonable. It was not our plan to replace but it was only 4x the staining quote to replace. And we think we only have maybe one more staining cycle left in the deck and we are having to replace more boards each time.

We have a power washer so could do that ourselves if needed. (It’s only 4 units- so we occasionally just take turns doing stuff).

Luckily we have a retired CFO as HOA president so there is a budget reserve for decks, siding, roof etc. but the staining quote was not in line with what we had budgeted- yet the new decks was less than what we have budgeted for that.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Dec 13, 18 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Deck material [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also got TimberTech, as it was less expensive than the name-brand Trex at the time (about $2 less per board, something like $24 vs $26 or $26 vs $28), but after becoming more familiar with the products since then on other projects I actually think the TT is superior regardless of cost ~ the fake wood grain is definitely less fake (although if you really think about it, I dunno why it should matter, yet somehow your eye definitely can't help but get stuck on the more obviously fake wood), while functionally it seems like the composite feels a bit more fibrous and less just like solid plastic, so it's slightly stiffer (but still flexier than actual wood, so only fit for planking and not any of the support structure).

I've got another deck to replace in the next summer or 2 (cedar planks approaching 20 years old; had been treated at least once before we bought the place but whatever varnish/sealant finish they used has since cracked & flaked off), and TimberTech is hands-down my default choice going in, for being completely impervious to weather and splinter-free on bare feet. I got a friend who used some sort of treated hardwood that looks & feels real nice, and is structurally stiffer so he could get away w/ 24" joist spacing instead of 18", but it still ends up being more expensive even accounting for fewer support beams, plus then he also had to use stainless screws which adds further cost compared to the coated deck screws specific to the composite planks.

The surface probably does get hotter than natural wood, but I really don't think this is enough of a difference to offset the clear advantages. No idea what the rest of your place looks like, but one option is a lighter gray finish (like faded coastal cedar) which should be slightly better than a darker finish (we have the faux 'redwood' at home, but will be choosing the gray 'cedar' for the beach place).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The meteorical rise in the cost of modern decks the last few years is startling. Personally, I prefer colorless and hope Wizards keeps on their recent tend of not banning cards. I also appreciate a well constructed aggro deck, regardless of color.
Quote Reply
Re: Deck material [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I live in Colorado and have a composite deck. I'm not sure it gets any hotter than wood, and my dog doesn't seem to mind. Make sure you get a capped product, like Trex brand, or it will stain.

I suppose it depends where you live The composite decking in Australia gets red hot in summer and you couldn’t walk on it barefoot. I was tempted to go for it as my old house was a PITA having to restain it every year, but will be sticking with wood, Merbau. Composite looks great though. Just not for hot climates unless under shade.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've specd thousands of SF of Azek decking, including the same place I mentioned in the LVT thread. They went with a really, really dark brown.

Lots of well dressed people have drank and smoked while standing on it during summer weddings and I never heard any complaints
Quote Reply