Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood
Quote | Reply
Except he sided with the Liberal Justices in declining to hear the case ...

When should he expect an apology from Team Donkey for Borking him?

In an early decision involving abortion, newly confirmed Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh sided with liberals in declining to hear a case that could have allowed states to defund Planned Parenthood in state Medicaid programs.

My colleague Kimberly Leonard has more background and details of the cases, but the basic gist is that lower court rulings prevented Louisiana and Kansas from blocking abortion provider Planned Parenthood from participating in Medicaid. The Supreme Court has now decided to pass on the cases.

Only four justices are needed to agree to grant a hearing on any case. So to stop it from reaching the high court, it took Kavanaugh siding with Chief Justice John Roberts and liberal justices.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...thood-defunding-case

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would they apologize? They want any future judges to fear the false accusations if they dare have a different opinion on some matters. It keeps the judges in line.
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am left leaning in general so I will speak for all lefties.

I am sorry. I am sorry that a woman accused you of sexual assault and then you felt it necessary to lie under oath about what a devils threeway is.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Donald's head must have exploded along with many others.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I am sorry. I am sorry that a woman accused you of sexual assault and then you felt it necessary to lie under oath about what a devils threeway is.

JSA claims to have gone to law school but perhaps he needs to brush up on his latin.

Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was probably too drunk from having beers with Squi and Joe in the garage after working out to make a proper decision.

Waiting for Trumps tweet on this in 3...2...1...
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like beer. I mean I really like beer, too!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I had too many beers. I liked beer. I still like beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The case has very little to do with Planned Parenthood, and even less to do with abortion.

Quote:
“Resolving the question presented here would not even affect Planned Parenthood’s ability to challenge the states’ decisions; it concerns only the rights of individual Medicaid patients to bring their own suits,” Justice Thomas wrote.

Let's see how Beer Guy decides on meaningful cases.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trump is looking at FOX reruns for blonde reporters he can replace him with...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not liking the reporting I'm seeing because it suggest this is a ruling on abortion. Which it isn't. It is basically a result of red leaning states targeting ANY services provided by PP paid for by Medicaid. Medicaid is provider neutral as long as they are qualified to provide eligible services. In this case, PP provides women's health, vaccines, etc. Now some argue, that is a small portion of their portfolio of services, with most going to abortion. By allowing Medicaid payments to these services (federal money cannot fund abortion), the federal facilitates them to free up resources so they can provide these services. Therefore paying these services. The SCOTUS ruled this isn't the case and not allowed.

I have told every single anti-abortion advocate that there isn't going to be a change in abortion rights. The best they will do is get some leeway in limiting how late into a term one can have one. But any attempts to limit access already deemed legal beyond that are not going to happen. This reinforces that.

I'm not surprised by this decision, and can't imagine why anybody who values precedent, law, and consistency would be going ape over this decision. But absolutist on abortion are part of the low common denominator that have too loud of a voice in the Republican party. The goal shouldn't be to ban abortion, but to educate and reduce. Absolutist have no such desire and are the types that helped Roy Moore win the primary, yet he was the only possible republican who could lose to a democrat in a general in Alabama. They sure showed you leftist didn't they by voting for him.
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Doesn't count. You are more moose than donkey.

Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
The case has very little to do with Planned Parenthood, and even less to do with abortion.

Quote:
“Resolving the question presented here would not even affect Planned Parenthood’s ability to challenge the states’ decisions; it concerns only the rights of individual Medicaid patients to bring their own suits,” Justice Thomas wrote.

If that's true, why were you donkeys are spun up about this case?

Hmmmmm ....

Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [Ozymandias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ozymandias wrote:
I'm not liking the reporting I'm seeing because it suggest this is a ruling on abortion. Which it isn't. It is basically a result of red leaning states targeting ANY services provided by PP paid for by Medicaid. Medicaid is provider neutral as long as they are qualified to provide eligible services. In this case, PP provides women's health, vaccines, etc. Now some argue, that is a small portion of their portfolio of services, with most going to abortion. By allowing Medicaid payments to these services (federal money cannot fund abortion), the federal facilitates them to free up resources so they can provide these services. Therefore paying these services. The SCOTUS ruled this isn't the case and not allowed.

I have told every single anti-abortion advocate that there isn't going to be a change in abortion rights. The best they will do is get some leeway in limiting how late into a term one can have one. But any attempts to limit access already deemed legal beyond that are not going to happen. This reinforces that.

I'm not surprised by this decision, and can't imagine why anybody who values precedent, law, and consistency would be going ape over this decision. But absolutist on abortion are part of the low common denominator that have too loud of a voice in the Republican party. The goal shouldn't be to ban abortion, but to educate and reduce. Absolutist have no such desire and are the types that helped Roy Moore win the primary, yet he was the only possible republican who could lose to a democrat in a general in Alabama. They sure showed you leftist didn't they by voting for him.

Yep! But, good luck finding anyone in the "mainstream media" who can see it that way. Also, the hair-on-fire donkeys outside SCOTUS today don't seem to get it either ...

But, Kavanaugh is the devil, so, we must PROTEST!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribes get stronger each day, I don't even think they know what they are fighting for or who they are fighting anymore.

The abortion crowd sees any support for PP, reversal of ill written laws, etc as something they must fight no matter how absurd or stupid. Gun crowds have gotten that way too. I was reading an article about how the new democratic party leadership of the house may change the rules forbidding house members and their staff from carrying arms into the house chambers, and it got reliable republicans to defend the rights of elite politicians who should have no more of a right to carry a gun to work than you or I. Like I said last week, I see less and less arguing between right and left. Instead, I see more and more moderate right on extreme right arguing, and I'm sure the left side is seeing that too. I think this is a result of two years of tuning each other out, or unfriended people who don't share their views.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Yep! But, good luck finding anyone in the "mainstream media" who can see it that way. Also, the hair-on-fire donkeys outside SCOTUS today don't seem to get it either ...

But, Kavanaugh is the devil, so, we must PROTEST!!!

Can I throw in a little bit of "both side-isms" here? Good luck getting a 'conservative' candidate to accept and admit that limiting how late in the term one can still get an abortion is not only the only thing they can work toward but also the most sensible.
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I throw in a little bit of "both side-isms" here?

There are no "both side-isms" allowed when it comes to tribal warfare.
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

Quote:

I would just like to note that you are citing Justice Thomas to make your point....

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: And so it begins ... Kavanugh swing vote in case permitting states to defund Planned Parenthood [Ozymandias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have told every single anti-abortion advocate that there isn't going to be a change in abortion rights.

Have you told pro-abortion advocates the same?

They seem to give the impression that abortion rights are on the brink of oblivion.

I mean they were literally pounding on the door of the Supreme Court and screaming at the top of their about it just a couple months ago.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply