Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beach Mountainbike Racing Question.
Quote | Reply
Just did European Beach Mountainbike Championships in the Netherlands earlier today. It was cold, wet, really, really hard and fun. It was even sleeting a bit at one point. Many of the bikes are really tricked out with special forks, handlebars and nearly all the bikes (except mine) had big, slick tires. I learned that those tires are real helpful in letting the bike glide over the sand instead sink in. For those with some experience in this type of racing, can you recommend some good, affordable and durable tires for a 29er mountainbike that will work well for beach racing? There is another race here in January so I’d like to put em on the Christmas list. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Mountainbike Racing Question. [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you want something like the Bontrager XR2 in 2.6” width if you can get it to fit. The Schwalbe “Big One” is another option if you can find them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continental Speed King or Compass Antelope Hill if you really want to go fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the Schwalbe Big One for tires. Standard issue f/r on the Koga BeachRacer Pro though I think Koga used to put Thunder Burt on for the front tire

https://www.koga.com/en/bikes/race/collection/beachracer-pro.htm?frame=H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was doing beach races I really liked the Notubes Raven 2.2 (with sealant) on 1.2bar (80kg).
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Mountainbike Racing Question. [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe you're correct, Thunder Burt up front and Big One on the back. I run Thunder Burts for gravel, they're super fast on pavement too. I've only ridden them on short stretches of sand, but they were ok on soft sand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwalbe Big One or Vittoria Tattoo light. The big one's are better but I race the Tattoo lights because they are more affordable ;)

Most import is tire pressure (tubeless), try what's best for you without hitting your rims against rocks.

Team Zoot Europe
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Mountainbike Racing Question. [Kaniman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing that race again this weekend. Got a set of tattoo lights on the mountain bike now. How low would you suggest running the tire pressure?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like this is mostly on the well packed wet sand, or do they go into soft sand sometimes as well?

Wonder if an even fatter tire at low psi might be the best?

Quote Reply
Re: Beach Mountainbike Racing Question. [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most the well packed sand near the shore but you have to go up into the soft stuff for a fair amount at the start and each of the turns (2 loop course so 4 times). That is one place where you can really lose the pack.
Quote Reply