Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oura Ring Users?
Quote | Reply
Any STs using the Oura Ring? Ordered one mostly for sleep tracking and HR/HRV, and waiting for it to come. Saw that Apple just released its first Beddit sleep monitoring device and it looks promising.
Quote Reply
Re: Oura Ring Users? [sharks5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have one but have been curious about it. However, I have been very satisfied with the sleep tracking from my Garmin 645.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one, really like it. I think the sleep accuracy is pretty good - based on what they have published its the most accurate, and I think its way better then the Garmin I have.
In terms of HRV and HR, tracks well with the garmin as well.. (for HR atleast, my garmin doesn't do HRV).
I tend to use it to help if i'm feeling tired - i.e. if my HRV is super low and I feel so-so but could probably push through a session I tend to take it easier as opposed to pushing - so I do use it to inform training.
Quote Reply
Re: Oura Ring Users? [dayvic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It is the GEN 2 is the original model? Heard the founder on a podcast talking about future partnership with Strava and Apple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you use it 24/7? I was thinking of getting one just for sleeping to track HRV but not sure if that would limit its functionality/helpfulness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dayvic wrote:
I have one, really like it. I think the sleep accuracy is pretty good - based on what they have published its the most accurate, and I think its way better then the Garmin I have.
In terms of HRV and HR, tracks well with the garmin as well.. (for HR atleast, my garmin doesn't do HRV).
I tend to use it to help if i'm feeling tired - i.e. if my HRV is super low and I feel so-so but could probably push through a session I tend to take it easier as opposed to pushing - so I do use it to inform training.

Is the HRV Data locked to the Motiv?
Or, can you export into other applications?

I've thought about these products, but I am unsure about the quality of the HRV data and also their algorithm.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Oura Ring Users? [grtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I use it 24/7.. minus taking it off for workouts (just don't like swimming with anything on my fingers)
I think the sleep HRV is the best part of the ring.
I have a gen 2 and everyone is amazed with how small it is. Most people ask if I've gotten married because it looks like a wedding band.

I haven't looked into exporting the data. I think there app can be improved but it allows trends over time so that's what I care about. I wish it had the ability to do regressions like hrv4training so you can see what interventions you did changed HRV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using one for about a month (Gen 2). Overall it is exactly what I was looking for- something to track sleep. I use it as a tool along w a CoreSense and the EliteHRV app upon waking and a Garmin for activity. I wear the Oura all the the time. Below are some thoughts
1) Like that you can put it in airplane mode- not sure about EMF and long term wear, but erring on the side of caution and turn it on to sync once a day or so
2) Battery life is outstanding- charge it during my shower ever 1-2 days and it almost always stays 90%+
3) Surprised (in a good way)- sleep time will sync to Apple Health and will import a variety of measures from Apple Health. Since Apple Health gets info from Garmin, Strava, etc this was an unexpected bonus
4) From talking to sleep researchers for an upcoming podcast as well as listening to a couple of interviews w the Oura CEO the device is designed for measuring sleep/recovery- ie passive activities. It isn't designed as a do all for activity/sleep.
5) It appears to measure sleep time quite well. The measurement of time in REM and deep sleep and times you wake up may not be solid. Most people agree that these are measures that rely on brain waves, not blood flow to the finger. That being said it appears to be one of the/the?? best consumer devices for passive measurements
6) Waterproof/sauna proof per Oura- this sets it apart from most/all other wearables
7) Overall a fan. I could see it as the single tracker device for someone who isn't athletic and wants a device that does the basics. For the athlete I don't think it is a good choice for a single device, but combined with something for activity I think it is a great tool
8) Like every other tool/toy it gives you info that should be considered with other info...ie don't follow the values/#'s blindly, but use it in conjunction with other parameters to direct training and revovery.

Quote Reply
Re: Oura Ring Users? [reutebh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the details. Looking forward to it. Definitely interested in airplane mode also to minimize any potential EMF. Only Oura downside I see so far is the lengthy ship times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what do you actually do with the data it provides? Have you somehow changed your sleep habits based on it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reutebh wrote:
charge it during my shower ever 1-2 days

You only shower every 2 days?
Quote Reply
Re: Oura Ring Users? [Joshua_L] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every 2 days for a shower...my part of saving water...and $$ on heating water.
Quote Reply
Re: Oura Ring Users? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take home so far w info from Oura
-anymore than 6 ounces of wine effects my sleep in a negative way
-4 days into experimenting w blue light blocking glasses prior to bed...seems to allow faster falling asleep
-10-15 min gentle movement- stretching/mobility, especially thoracic rotation and hip ROM makes for fewer wakeups
-nights when my dog doesn't have a seizure result in better sleep quality

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reutebh wrote:
5) It appears to measure sleep time quite well. The measurement of time in REM and deep sleep and times you wake up may not be solid. Most people agree that these are measures that rely on brain waves, not blood flow to the finger. That being said it appears to be one of the/the?? best consumer devices for passive measurements
At the moment, probably the best consumer-level passive devices for sleep measurements are either Beddit 3.5 (iOS only) or Emfit QS (web only.)
Quote Reply
Re: Oura Ring Users? [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
reutebh wrote:
At the moment, probably the best consumer-level passive devices for sleep measurements are either Beddit 3.5 (iOS only) or Emfit QS (web only.)
None of these sleep sensors are worth a damn, if they can't tell the difference between sleeping and reading in bed (or laying awake staring at the clock).

Anything less than an EEG just isn't going to be accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Oura Ring Users? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t comment on the sleep sensors the previous poster mentioned but from my experience my Garmin 645 is spot on as far as falling asleep go. I always read for 15-20 mins in bed before turning off the light. My Garmin easily distinguish between the reading time and when I turn off the light and fall asleep. It’s less reliable on the wake up side if I don’t get out of bed immediately. That’s not really an issue for me though as I rarely lay there staring at the clock.

Now my previous Garmins (the 235 and 935) were really bad when it came to reading in bed.
Quote Reply