Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flatted in a race, tyre is fine?
Quote | Reply
I flatted last weekend during IWA with a Continental Podium TT, the spare I changed it with was a Corsa Speed. This slowly went down over the course of 100km, I was pretty lucky, missed the special needs where I had another tyre and just made it into T2, the last 5kms it was virtually flat. Curious to know where the hole is, I pumped it up when I got home, put it in water, no air leaking and it's been pumped up for 3 days and not gone down... I guess it could only be something to do with the valve?
Quote Reply
Re: Flatted in a race, tyre is fine? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you use CO2 to fill your spare Vittoria Corsa Speed? If so it’s looses air faster then if you used a hand pump. Normal...I don’t know the Physics behind it but the tire is fine....I never used a Latex Tube Tubular as a spare when I was using them.
Last edited by: mike s: Dec 8, 18 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My best guess is something with the valve.
Quote Reply
Re: Flatted in a race, tyre is fine? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Did you use CO2 to fill your spare Vittoria Corsa Speed?

^^^^^ this.

CO2 leaks a lot through latex. I think the one time I tried this, it was ~10psi/hr. Maybe more. If that is the case OP, then just put air in and see if that holds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yah i call this fantom tube leak I was getting them like once a year I don't know why i was gettign so unlucky and all my friends were just fine... now i use tubeless so i have other problems
Quote Reply
Re: Flatted in a race, tyre is fine? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
My best guess is something with the valve.

^^ +1, same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zedzed,

One more thought to consider due to the stretchy nature of latex vs butyl. If it's a latex tube with a very small hole, the tube often won't show a leak with a normal water test at the limited pressure you can pump an unbridled tube up to without it looking like anaconda that swallowed a small antelope. They also will hold air for days at very low pressure if you didn't reinsert it back into the tire and pump it up to high pressure it will sit by itself inflated and not leak down.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I flatted last weekend during IWA with a Continental Podium TT, the spare I changed it with was a Corsa Speed. This slowly went down over the course of 100km, I was pretty lucky, missed the special needs where I had another tyre and just made it into T2, the last 5kms it was virtually flat. Curious to know where the hole is, I pumped it up when I got home, put it in water, no air leaking and it's been pumped up for 3 days and not gone down... I guess it could only be something to do with the valve?

Despite the flat-how did the rest of the day go for you? I loved the new swim (I did 70.3), did you find it congested on the second swim lap?? Hope the race otherwise went well. Looks like Busso will be back on the map for many after a great event this year.
Quote Reply