Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit Bay of Plenty NZ/Xterra Rotorua
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I live up in the Pacific Islands and will be down to race the Tauranga HIM in January. After 10 years (I know, I know), I'd like to get a bike fit after recent back problems seem to be aggravated riding aero. Any suggestions in the BOP? I could also do a fitter in Auckland on my way out, if they were good.

I am also considering entering Xterra Rotorua next year after becoming a bit bored on the road. I have minimal MB experience, but will look to get 4 months decent riding before the event. What is the course like, is it very technical? Would 4 months be enough to get me to s stage where I can complete the course without making a fool of myself? I'm thinking of riding it after the HIM, but would be interested in the views of anyone who knows the course well. I am a MOP triathlete-2.35ish for Ollies and 5.20 HIM.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Cheers.

T
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Bay of Plenty NZ/Xterra Rotorua [Petsoundspad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saying hi....where in the Pacific Islands are you? We go to Samoa a lot and I was thinking of racing Tauranga as well but will be in the islands for 3 weeks prior and not sure I can get much decent biking in over there (have never taken my bike to Samoa).
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Bay of Plenty NZ/Xterra Rotorua [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
Just saying hi....where in the Pacific Islands are you? We go to Samoa a lot and I was thinking of racing Tauranga as well but will be in the islands for 3 weeks prior and not sure I can get much decent biking in over there (have never taken my bike to Samoa).

I'm up in the Cook Islands. I doubt Samoa's roads are any worse than ours. There used to be a HIM up there a few years ago with NZ elites racing. If you are on the main island, I think I would take the bike and enter Tauranga. I've been going down for the last 8 years for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done any Xterra races other than Rotorua so always find it weird when people ask about bikes for Xterra on the forum and the general recommendation is a hardtail. Eagle vs Shark is much more fun with a full-sus, apparently it's uncommon to have actual MTB trails elsewhere.

If you've not done much MTB the course will be a nice challenge but not impossible. There is still a fair bit of fire road and walking paths so it's not exciting all the way.

As for fitters, not many listed on the ST database. We've got some listed, no one in Tauranga https://www.velogicfit.com/find-a-fitter/
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Bay of Plenty NZ/Xterra Rotorua [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Cheers, thx for the heads up.

T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without seeing the course let me just share my experience as a fellow beginner in mountain biking: I bought a Cannondale F-Si. It’s a lightweight hardtail sporting 29x2.0 tires. The number of times I’ve said to myself “I wish I was on a full suspension bike with more travel” is about 100x greater than the number of times I’ve said “man am I glad I’m on a lightweight hardtail right now.” There are certain trail features that I just can’t clear on a hardtail XC bike.

Personally I’m going to buy a full suspension bike in the 120-130mm range with tires in 2.4-2.6 range. The Trek Fuel EX and the Specialized Stumpjumper ST are on my short list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Cyclezone in Rotorua, they're a specialized dealer, so do the Spesh fits.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't speak for the bike fitters sorry. But done Xterra Rotorua many times over the years. Wife and I are not good mountain bikers. We usually manage a few weeks before Xterra if we're lucky. Haven't been back for a couple of years but I suspect the technicality of the course won't have changed too much. I'd suggest the 4 months of regular mtb riding would be sufficient.

I've always done it on a hard tail as that was all I had. I've a full suspension now so will be interesting to see how different it is.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eagle vs shark just got logged so is out for xterra 2019. they've included split enz instead which is rougher than eagle vs shark. neither is particularly technical by mtb standards but they are genuine mtb trails, requiring some skill to ride fast. you'll have no problem getting around without embarrassing yourself as long as you have a bit of practice.

the problem i had when i did it a few years back is the ride course goes straight into singletrack so if you're not a good swimmer then you get caught in traffic of very unskilled riders who presumably get around without undue embarrassment so you're unlikely to be the worst. the run course is fantastic - its 2 laps but well worth the repeat through beautiful bush trails around the edge of the lake which is great to swim in.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Bay of Plenty NZ/Xterra Rotorua [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
eagle vs shark just got logged so is out for xterra 2019. they've included split enz instead which is rougher than eagle vs shark. neither is particularly technical by mtb standards but they are genuine mtb trails,

Split Enz was my favourite trail before EvS came along. Though it had changed a lot last time I went through.

Quote:
if you're not a good swimmer then you get caught in traffic

As opposed to the problem I had of being a good swimmer on an undergeared SS, it felt like everyone went past me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EvS was epic. They took it out of Xterra this year apparently.

As already said, get down there and practice if you can. There’s a fair bit of climbing as well, especially so if Split Enz is included. That’s a great trail these days.

There are a few bike fitters in Tauranga if you want to get fit when you’re here for the HIM. I live in Tauranga so can point you to some of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Bay of Plenty NZ/Xterra Rotorua [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Thanks to you and all above for the helpful comments. Appreciated.

I'll be there for 2 weeks after the HIM and so will head over to Vegas to ride the course a few times and see how I go.

cheers

T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Message Cyclenutnz from this thread. He's worth taking the time to drive to Cambridge, if he can fit you in.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Bay of Plenty NZ/Xterra Rotorua [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Steve,

Sorry about the delay responding. Tied up with Xmas stuff and training. I will drop him a line today and see if he can fit me in.

cheers

T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Just a final follow up to my Xterra race last weekend. In the end because of injuries I just entered the short course. I loved it and am totally sold and will go long course next year. Even better, I did pretty well which was a big surprise. No anal ITU/TriNZ rules and athletes were laid back compared to Oly's and iron distance where we all take ourselves far too seriously. Terrific location and course and well organised. Sad that there's not more off road events around.

cheers
Quote Reply