Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Surf spat [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
wimsey wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Now surfrider foundation LA is on the case....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrGLWU4HTm-/

This is completely out of hand.

Both of them should be (and will be) stuffed relentlessly wherever they go.

This chick has no idea the what’s in store for her.

She filed a police report!

This seems like lunacy. I’ve surfed maybe 10 times in my life and even I can tell this should have begun and ended with a simple “fuck you” and “eat shit” exchange.

Here’s the thing, both of the people involved here are kooks based simply on the size of the surf in which this took place.

That being said, sometimes certain individuals need a little bit of regulation. Maybe they’re taking more than their share (you know, maybe to get some filming done for example) and someone decides enough is enough and takes action.

I’ve been surfing for over 35 years and this happens a lot. Usually a verbal scolding (but at some spots you are considered warned just by being there) comes first and the person shapes up. Sometimes the person being regulated feels that it’s being done to them unfairly and doesn’t shape up so tactics get elevated.

Sometimes it can be just an ever escalating series of non-verbal tactics.

In my experience, when a man gets regulated they usually fall in line pretty quick.

When a woman gets regulated they usually take it personally and believe it is happening because they are a girl.

It’s not because your’e a girl. I promise you.

One caveat, there are some guys that will treat women unfarily in the lineup. Generally these same guys will also unfairly treat men that are smaller (percieved as weaker) than them. These types of men are just taking advantage of the fact that they perceive a person to not be a physical threat so they act like dicks.

These men get regulated too.

PS: there are plenty of women who get their share of waves at Rincon, one of THE hardest places in the world to snag one from the pack.

They do it because they have the ability. Surfing is, for the most part a meritocracy. Skilled surfers get more waves.

All that sounds about right, and consistent with what you’ve posted on this stuff before.

The only thing that’s ever caught my eye in previous posts of yours (and not applicable in this case) is an apparent hostility in surfing - not necessarily you particularly - to newcomers. Which I kind of get, if surfing is getting overrun by assholes. But if it’s just newbies who haven’t learned all the rules yet, seems like maybe they should be given a little slack if they’re not obviously and intentionally being assholes.

But this case that is subject of the thread, that seems to my outsider eyes like something best handled by the surfing community. Leave the cops out if it, they’ve got better things to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Surf spat [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With newbies it depends on the spot.

Some place have easy entry to the lineup but the waves are not for the unskilled.

There is little tolerance for newbies at such places.

Other spots are newbie spots where “the rules” are different.

Some spots are straight up hostile.

Figuring all this stuff out is part of the game.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Some place have easy entry to the lineup but the waves are not for the unskilled.

Fair enough. Personally, I’m glad there are still some things in this life where you need to have a little apprehension, self-awareness, the occasional smack down (within reason) and willingness to handle all that in order to get up to speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Surf spat [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PS: when you read a book, or article in Outside Magazine, about the rules of surfing you need to understand they don’t factor in pecking orders, spot specificities and other more nuanced situations.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Surf spat [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say that it was her wave.

Ya, go back to post #15, once I saw the whole video, it became more clear what happened. This whole episode can be filed under, "Mountain out of a Mole hill"....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

For sure! It was always like this, it's not a new thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well well welll.....

https://beachgrit.com/...ash-pull-hate-crime/

Quote:
Rhonda Harper, Danielle Lyons, and Khadija Sambe show up at the Venice Pier to meet with a crew from NBC.

Once there, the group of women became “bossy”, “territorial” , “acting like they run the place”, “telling other surfers they can’t surf here because they are going to film”. They were snaking several other surfers repeatedly. (This is coming from several surfers questioned about that day, all were asked separately about what happened and all were saying the same things.)

Wagner Lima, noticing the film crew, went up and asked who they were filming. “The pro surfer out there,” he was told by the cameraperson. Being told she was a pro surfer and with her own camera crew, Lima watched to check out her surfing. Not impressed with her level of surfing, Lima laughed it off as being a “joke”, which he told the camera person. (This is coming from Lima.)

Lima then hits the water to surf. Once in, he starts getting the same treatment the other surfers were getting from the women. Getting snaked too. After putting up with it for awhile, the wave with the leash pull happens.

Lima mentions how her leash went around his board, so he yanked it.

He attempt to say sorry right after, but she wasn’t having it.

They all go on about there day, Lima leaves the water, gets smoothie, does some business. He sees the women again in the parking lot and goes up to them to apologize again. He gets cursed out and sprayed head-to-toe with water from the women’s rinse kit.

Soon after is when Harper starts her ruthless online vendetta against Lima. She shows up at the Venice Pier the next day and tells Lima she is going to ruin him. (This comes from Lima.)

Apparently, Harper is infamous in Southern California for showing up to surf spots with her group and acting like they run the place. (This also comes from surfers that said they recognized who she was and know how she acts. There’s even comments on surf forums about her. Her personal Facebook page is filled with posts she made showing anger towards men, white people and the surf industry in general.)

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well there goes any sympathy for her and this situation. He is still an ass, but at least it is bringing to light what her and her crew are like. I suppose they are going to now have some trouble at some breaks, well for sure they are....
Quote Reply
Re: Surf spat [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can have half a dozen people on a shit wave like that riding longboards.
Quote Reply
Re: Surf spat [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then the rest of the rest of the rest of the story comes out. My best thinking is it was not a good day for the sport of surfing on a sloppy 2 foot day with everyone showing their collective asses. Oh my.
Quote Reply
Re: Surf spat [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Then the rest of the rest of the rest of the story comes out. My best thinking is it was not a good day for the sport of surfing on a sloppy 2 foot day with everyone showing their collective asses. Oh my.

Problem is, too many people have watched Point Break and think that's how they need to act. Accidents, ignorance, inexperience is ignored. If you're new to the sport and you f**k up, too bad. I'm not big, but can handle myself. I've had many potential altercations in the surf and/or on the beach. And I say potential, because 99% of the time, the surfer that is aggressive pushing for conflict very quickly changes his tune when he's not surrounded by his mates, when he's met with rationale and when he has someone that looks him in the eye with a smile on his face. Most of these guys are cowards. I had a run in with some guy last year, I dropped in on him, I just didn't see him, my fault. I apologized, he went ballistic, screaming at me to meet him on the beach etc etc I just paddled off. 2 hours later, I saw him 500m down on the beach as I paddled in. Put the board in my ute and drove down to him. I walked up to him and he looked down at his feet pretending to fiddle with his legrope, like an ostrich with his head in the sand. I pulled him up on his bad attitude and he apologised. He was a good bloke. We shook hands and I walked off. So it's not really a problem with the individuals, more of a problem with how the sport is portrayed, how surfers are encouraged to act. It's a shame, because to some extent it's ruined the sport or at least the reputation of the sport. Gromms and noobies are too scared to go out at certain breaks in Western Australia because of localism. Most of these cocks, never grew up in that area anyway. And people that would never normally be aggressive or combative act that way, because they think they need to or they should do. Or some shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Surf spat [Gashman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gashman wrote:
Problem is, too many people have watched Point Break and think that's how they need to act. Accidents, ignorance, inexperience is ignored. If you're new to the sport and you f**k up, too bad.
Point Break was a competitive cycling movie?
Quote Reply
Re: Surf spat [Gashman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gashman wrote:
G-man wrote:

Problem is, too many people have watched Point Break and think that's how they need to act. Accidents, ignorance, inexperience is ignored. If you're new to the sport and you f**k up, too bad. I'm not big, but can handle myself. I've had many potential altercations in the surf and/or on the beach. And I say potential, because 99% of the time, the surfer that is aggressive pushing for conflict very quickly changes his tune when he's not surrounded by his mates, when he's met with rationale and when he has someone that looks him in the eye with a smile on his face. Most of these guys are cowards. I had a run in with some guy last year, I dropped in on him, I just didn't see him, my fault. I apologized, he went ballistic, screaming at me to meet him on the beach etc etc I just paddled off. 2 hours later, I saw him 500m down on the beach as I paddled in. Put the board in my ute and drove down to him. I walked up to him and he looked down at his feet pretending to fiddle with his legrope, like an ostrich with his head in the sand. I pulled him up on his bad attitude and he apologised. He was a good bloke. We shook hands and I walked off. So it's not really a problem with the individuals, more of a problem with how the sport is portrayed, how surfers are encouraged to act. It's a shame, because to some extent it's ruined the sport or at least the reputation of the sport. Gromms and noobies are too scared to go out at certain breaks in Western Australia because of localism. Most of these cocks, never grew up in that area anyway. And people that would never normally be aggressive or combative act that way, because they think they need to or they should do. Or some shit.

You kind of sound like one of these, “the ocean is for everyone” guys.

It isn’t.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Gashman wrote:
G-man wrote:

It isn’t.

In a typical surf break there is a finite zone where waves are going to break. There are a finite number of waves coming through, and the set waves are the good ones. So there are a limited number of opportunities to catch a wave. You might be out there for a couple of hours and get 5 waves and each wave might be only a few seconds long. If it's slightly bigger and a bit punchy then it's much more fun and worthwhile but it's also somewhere that newbies should respect the pack and their limited position in the pecking order because they can ruin someone's chance of a waves or, worse, do something dangerous. (Ever gone over the falls in double overhead next to someone else and 2 boards after being dropped in on anyone?) As someone else said though - it is a meritocracy. I've paddled out with mates who were South African pros before and seen them fairly instantly gain respect in the pack through a) being cool and b) taking off waaay deeper than everyone else and ripping!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In a typical surf break there is a finite zone where waves are going to break. There are a finite number of waves coming through, and the set waves are the good ones. So there are a limited number of opportunities to catch a wave. You might be out there for a couple of hours and get 5 waves and each wave might be only a few seconds long. If it's slightly bigger and a bit punchy then it's much more fun and worthwhile but it's also somewhere that newbies should respect the pack and their limited position in the pecking order because they can ruin someone's chance of a waves or, worse, do something dangerous.

Mmm... Very interesting. I’ve heard this before. Are you sure about this?

Quote:
As someone else said though - it is a meritocracy.

Who said that? Probably a kook.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
In a typical surf break there is a finite zone where waves are going to break. There are a finite number of waves coming through, and the set waves are the good ones. So there are a limited number of opportunities to catch a wave. You might be out there for a couple of hours and get 5 waves and each wave might be only a few seconds long. If it's slightly bigger and a bit punchy then it's much more fun and worthwhile but it's also somewhere that newbies should respect the pack and their limited position in the pecking order because they can ruin someone's chance of a waves or, worse, do something dangerous.

Mmm... Very interesting. I’ve heard this before. Are you sure about this?

Quote:
As someone else said though - it is a meritocracy.

Who said that? Probably a kook.

LOL. Well i guess it is in the sense that most meritocracies are subject to real world forces such as who's got the biggest gob, is the most obnoxious, or most likely to hit you, as well as who is actually any good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This surfing stuff sounds weird.

Those tight suits are gay.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Well well welll.....

https://beachgrit.com/...ash-pull-hate-crime/

Quote:
Rhonda Harper, Danielle Lyons, and Khadija Sambe show up at the Venice Pier to meet with a crew from NBC.

Once there, the group of women became “bossy”, “territorial” , “acting like they run the place”, “telling other surfers they can’t surf here because they are going to film”. They were snaking several other surfers repeatedly. (This is coming from several surfers questioned about that day, all were asked separately about what happened and all were saying the same things.)

Wagner Lima, noticing the film crew, went up and asked who they were filming. “The pro surfer out there,” he was told by the cameraperson. Being told she was a pro surfer and with her own camera crew, Lima watched to check out her surfing. Not impressed with her level of surfing, Lima laughed it off as being a “joke”, which he told the camera person. (This is coming from Lima.)

Lima then hits the water to surf. Once in, he starts getting the same treatment the other surfers were getting from the women. Getting snaked too. After putting up with it for awhile, the wave with the leash pull happens.

Lima mentions how her leash went around his board, so he yanked it.

He attempt to say sorry right after, but she wasn’t having it.

They all go on about there day, Lima leaves the water, gets smoothie, does some business. He sees the women again in the parking lot and goes up to them to apologize again. He gets cursed out and sprayed head-to-toe with water from the women’s rinse kit.

Soon after is when Harper starts her ruthless online vendetta against Lima. She shows up at the Venice Pier the next day and tells Lima she is going to ruin him. (This comes from Lima.)

Apparently, Harper is infamous in Southern California for showing up to surf spots with her group and acting like they run the place. (This also comes from surfers that said they recognized who she was and know how she acts. There’s even comments on surf forums about her. Her personal Facebook page is filled with posts she made showing anger towards men, white people and the surf industry in general.)

Right, but the only reason anyone uses the terms "bossy," "territorial, and "acting like they run the place" to describe them is because they're black women. This is racist sexism 101. Now beat it, kook.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

It isn’t.

Not at all.

There's not enough room. Most decent breaks in WA are overcrowded and that's going to cause an issue. My problem is with guys that aren't cocks acting like cocks because they think that's how they're supposed to. Getting aggro in the surf, threatening violence, but being unable to follow through. Ridiculous over-reactions, wanting to fight because someone fucked up. If someone continually acts like an arrogant cunt then fair enough, have a "polite" word. I'll fight if I have to, but I prefer to surf. Generally fights end up with hospital visits, broken bones, X-rays, police involvement, $$ etc all this for shit that can be easily avoided.
Quote Reply
Re: Surf spat [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post actually reminds me of this incident I had. This guy was furiously paddling around everyone to score waves and was getting quite a few. It wasn't too busy though.

I couldn't be assed getting all competitive, so next time he tried to paddle around me I didn't move my legs (I'm a bodyboarder). His leash got caught around my legs, and he then confronted me. He thought I had pulled his leash. I simply said you've been paddling around everyone for the last hour, I just didn't move my legs when you tried to do it again.

He went off in a huff, and that's all I remember from that.

Localism in surfing is hilarious. But it can be dangerous too. There is a place here in New Zealand where the local maori have fired gunshots into the water when surfers have been surfing at 'their spot'. Albatross Point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next