Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Off-season swim technique overhaul
Quote | Reply
I have plateaued a bit with my swimming, staying at 1:40-1:42/100m for a 1500m swim in LCM since early 2017. My first improvement (coming from 2:05+/100m) came with a group tri-swim class (taught by a triathlon coach) and now, I have access to an awesome actual swim coach who runs the main masters program in portland and gives very cheap lessons pretty much weekly. I have already done a few sessions and after my race this weekend, I want to shut down any conditioning/continuous swimming for a period while I completely focus on the drills he assigns and stuff he points out.

My question is, I feel I have about 3 months to really focus on this, should I set a length of time to not do actual swimming, like 4/8 weeks of only drills? Should it be fluid to when I feel like it has become more habitual? Should I do a weekly test of say 400 and track time over the weeks? Or am I thinking about this wrong and should continue to join the masters sessions while going through this overhaul?

Thanks in advance

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Off-season swim technique overhaul [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if it's desirable or necessary to switch all your training to technique drills. If you feel like there is some low hanging fruit with technique improvement just dedicate a third of your time available to doing drills and the rest to a structured program. Personally I hate pool swimming and never do drills but I've improved my technique considerably just by watching a million youtube videos and thinking about my form as I swim. The drills would probably do me good but I'm going have to get a tri coach to force me into it.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience of working on technique, there is definitely diminishing returns when you try a "volume" approach. Your brain (your neuromuscular system) can only relearn/rewire so many things in a period of time. I don't think there is benefit (and probably a detriment) to focusing so exclusively on technique improvements. I think it makes sense to incorporate technique focused sets (including some drills) into every workout, but I wouldn't make that the bulk of every workout. And I definitely wouldn't do it to the exclusion of working on speed, different gears, endurance, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The High Cost of Good Form by Dan Empfield

https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Good_Form_3273.html
Quote Reply
Re: Off-season swim technique overhaul [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
The High Cost of Good Form by Dan Empfield

https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Good_Form_3273.html

Thanks! good read, I'd like to think I have some of that engine, given I've been conditioning for a race this saturday... Until I remember that I swim very slow in real swimmer terms. However, I get the point that this isn't a 3 month plan, more like a 3 year plan. I was hoping to start the jolt now and even if I end up swimming through 2019 at the same or slower speeds as I adapt to the high elbow catch (by far the biggest thing I am currently missing) and other things, it will eventually pay dividends.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strive to swim according to my plan using the best form that I can. I always concentrate on my swim limiters, sometimes they slide a little bit but I do my best to correct them on the fly.

I'm wired in a way that I constantly analyze the things I do when I swim. Some people aren't like that and require someone else to tell them. You gotta do what you gotta do to get faster but swimming easy to concentrate on form to me teaches me to swim slow with good form.

I choose to swim my prescribed speeds with the best form I'm able to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I have plateaued a bit with my swimming, staying at 1:40-1:42/100m for a 1500m swim in LCM since early 2017. My first improvement (coming from 2:05+/100m) came with a group tri-swim class (taught by a triathlon coach) and now, I have access to an awesome actual swim coach who runs the main masters program in portland and gives very cheap lessons pretty much weekly. I have already done a few sessions and after my race this weekend, I want to shut down any conditioning/continuous swimming for a period while I completely focus on the drills he assigns and stuff he points out.

My question is, I feel I have about 3 months to really focus on this, should I set a length of time to not do actual swimming, like 4/8 weeks of only drills? Should it be fluid to when I feel like it has become more habitual? Should I do a weekly test of say 400 and track time over the weeks? Or am I thinking about this wrong and should continue to join the masters sessions while going through this overhaul?

Thanks in advance

chiming in with my 2 cents worth, the bolded is a terrible idea. I can't think of anyone who would recommend doing that.

You can do 4-6 weeks of a technique focus, where you do more drills than usual, but what I would recommend is that you mix drills with swim. for example, do a set of 100's as 25 drill, 25 swim, 25 drill, 25 swim. That technique focus is a good time to also work on speed.

Stick with masters. Do the lessons with the coach, and try to apply those lessons to the masters practice.

As far as test sets go, weekly is far too frequent to be doing that. You'll get a feel for whether things are progressing anyway by looking at your pace in normal training.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO if you are only doing drills those technique changes probably will not integrate themselves into your actual swimming stroke. You want to have a combination of stroke drills and regular sets. This is similar to doing weight training as a swimmer, if possible you want to spend a little time in the pool after weights to feel that strength work integrate into your stroke. Otherwise, you run the risk of reverting back to your old ways when you go back to volume training.
Quote Reply
Re: Off-season swim technique overhaul [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
hadukla wrote:

Thanks in advance

chiming in with my 2 cents worth, the bolded is a terrible idea. I can't think of anyone who would recommend doing that.

You can do 4-6 weeks of a technique focus, where you do more drills than usual, but what I would recommend is that you mix drills with swim. for example, do a set of 100's as 25 drill, 25 swim, 25 drill, 25 swim. That technique focus is a good time to also work on speed.

Stick with masters. Do the lessons with the coach, and try to apply those lessons to the masters practice.

As far as test sets go, weekly is far too frequent to be doing that. You'll get a feel for whether things are progressing anyway by looking at your pace in normal training.

Thank you, looking back at my thought process, that was indeed a terrible idea but I'm glad I asked because I tend to lionel myself sometimes with terrible ideas :) yes, I think this is worth turning him into a verb.

This is also the first time i've been exposed to masters so I am quite excited and hopeful, but realize I need to be patient.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply