Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Perfect Marshmallow" Toyota Tundra
Quote | Reply
Many of you might have seen the picture of the Toyota Tundra that was used to assist folks in the Northern California fires earlier this year.

Here's a pretty good story about the guy and the truck from Speedhunters. Toyota has stepped up and replaced his truck with a 2019 Tundra TRD Pro. They couldn't buy a marketing program for 10x the cost the replacement truck that would have the same impact as the story and pictures of the "Pandra." I'd encourage you to click the link for more of the typically great Speedhunters pictures.

Quote:
Rather than getting himself to safety he checked for anyone still in the burning building, tagging doors of rooms which were clear to aid in firefighters’ efforts. Chaos broke out around Allyn as the entire town attempted to evacuate from a fire which was spreading at a rate of one acre (which is about the size of an American football field) every second.

Finally, Allyn jumped into the Pandra, his Toyota Tundra — SR5 spec, but we’ll get to the details later — and rounded up a few stragglers in the parking lot, yelling at them to jump in. From here, he fought traffic on Pentz Road and headed south making a right-hand turn onto Pearson to head into the gully towards the highway.

Small problem – the gully was already in flames, full of abandoned and burning cars, and homes engulfed in flames on either side. Allyn tried to keep everyone’s spirits up in the truck, joking “take pics, this is the last time I’ll be doing this tour!” This is where other versions of the story I’ve read seem to diverge, but Allyn insists he travelled just over a mile before sending his passengers safely off into a firetruck (and not all the way into Chico).

Eventually, neither the firetruck nor Allyn could proceed any further down the road; too many abandoned vehicles were blocking the path. At this point, the firefighters next to him tossed blankets over their truck and stopped trying to even fight the fire around them; they had to focus on surviving.

Not wanting to leave his truck and block anyone coming behind him (which is exactly why Allyn was trapped in the first place), he concentrated on trying to pilot the Pandra to a safe point. Only, there wasn’t one; the Tundra was his only hope. With no space to maneuver and fire whipping by on either side, Allyn recognized that he “really might not make it out of this alive.”

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: "Perfect Marshmallow" Toyota Tundra [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing that the heat did so much damage to the door panels but the tires did not melt or soften and deflate.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: Dec 5, 18 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: "Perfect Marshmallow" Toyota Tundra [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Amazing that the heat did so much damage to the door panels but the tires did not melt or soften and deflate.

That was my first thought also when i looked at the picture.
Quote Reply
Re: "Perfect Marshmallow" Toyota Tundra [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

That was my first thought also when i looked at the picture.

Melting point of ABS plastic is between 88 and 125C ( 190 to 257 F) (Many car components)
Polycarbonate plastics melt between 140 and 150C (about 293 F) (Headlights)

Rubber melts at 260-315C (500 to 600F)

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Dec 5, 18 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I’ve been following him on Instagram for awhile and when the pictures and story came out, his account blew up, with tons of people offering as much assistance as possible. And rightfully so in my personal opinion, guy is a badass. “Anyone would do it.” False. But this guy did and is super humble about it. And thankfully he and others are safe because of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tip o' the cap to Mr. Pierce, certified BAMF!

Love my older Tundra; only reason I didn't get one of the 2nd-gen instead is they don't offer the quad cab w/ a full-length bed anymore
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new and improved version.

https://www.instagram.com/p/By3wTT-gvun/

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Jun 24, 19 10:23
Quote Reply