Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frozen Cable Housing in Titanium Frame
Quote | Reply
I have a piece of brake cable housing frozen in the braze-on at the rear of the top tube. The braze-on is slotted.

So...…. suggestions on how to remove the piece that is still stuck in the braze-on.

Frame is an unpainted 2002 Lemond Victorie

thanks

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Frozen Cable Housing in Titanium Frame [TooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you able to get a small flat head screwdriver in from the back and tap it out?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Frozen Cable Housing in Titanium Frame [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not yet tried. I just discovered the problem, but I got a little zealous in my attempt to free the housing so here we are.

I will get some liquid wrench and let it soak the then attempt the screwdriver to push it out

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A picture would help
Quote Reply
Re: Frozen Cable Housing in Titanium Frame [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tap with a screw driver should work, done it multiple times. A little grease or anti seize for next time will help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whink's Rust Stain Remover. You can buy it at hardware and grocery stores. Be careful with it cause it's kinda nasty stuff.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Frozen Cable Housing in Titanium Frame [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Tap with a screw driver should work, done it multiple times. A little grease or anti seize for next time will help.

Yea, I’m going to tear down both of my ti rides and grease/anti-seize the ends of the housings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume the brake cable housing end cap is aluminum, so you want to use ammonia to remove the aluminum oxide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whew.....it is out. I did spray it down with WD-40 before I posted this initially. So I assume that helped. I used a small screwdriver from the back end of the fitting and then lightly hammered the screwdriver.

Thanks to everyone that offer up suggestions and help.

thanks again

Mike
Quote Reply