Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Continental Podium TT
Quote | Reply
I've just bought some second hand Zipp 808 tubs. Love them. They have Continental Podium TTs and they roll great, I flatted in a race, however at the weekend, and am querying whether or not to buy another Podium TT or switch to something else. I did a quick google search and it seems they have limited puncture protection and only suite for short course. I did have sealant, but the hole was too big. I was thinking of perhaps Conti Competition, not fussed about butyl tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Podium TT [Gashman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well a butyl tube is really a bad idea in so many ways. One you probably didn't consider is that sealant doesn't work well.

I would look at the Specialized tubular or the Zipps. The Specialized tire was pretty much the Goldilocks race tire a couple years ago. Great Crr, very durable, good flat and cut protection. Zipps are good and probably have the aero edge as they were designed with that wheel in mind
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Podium TT [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have Zipp 808 tubular wheel as well. My biggest concern was getting a flat during the race, so I read some reviews and went with durable tires. They are Continental Sprinter Gatorskin Tubular Tire 28'' x 25 mm Black Chili. No flat so far and they are pretty fast too. Overall, I'm very happy with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Podium TT [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Between the butyl inner tube and the glue, Cotinental Sprinter Gatorskins are in the neighborhood of 3-4W/tire worse than the clincher version. Here's the clincher version vs a Vittoria Corsa G+ tubular. Net somewhere in the neighborhood of 10W/tire would be best guess and you'd be hard pressed to find something slower, durable as they may be. Tom A was the datapoint clincher vs tubular Gatorskins. Bicycle Rolling Resistance doesn't have data on the Conti Podium TTs but you'd be doing yourself a disservice not sending them out and having a latex tube sewn in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I do have Zipp 808 tubular wheel as well. My biggest concern was getting a flat during the race, so I read some reviews and went with durable tires. They are Continental Sprinter Gatorskin Tubular Tire 28'' x 25 mm Black Chili. No flat so far and they are pretty fast too. Overall, I'm very happy with them.

Did I just read this correctly?

Quote Reply
Re: Continental Podium TT [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
s13tx wrote:

Did I just read this correctly?

I don't know well about the tires, but faster than what I used before. 23mm Cosmic clincher tires.
Can you recommend me durable and relatively fast tubular tires then?
Last edited by: s13tx: Dec 4, 18 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the Mavic tires were made by Tufo and those are some incredibly slow tires. No wonder the Conti's seem fast. The nice thing is good tubulars with a good glue job will make you faster still. A free 10 watts is nothing to sneeze at.

I am still voting for the Specialized tires. Tom A used the clincher/open tubular version for riding gravel with good results. They are just a touch slower than the Corsa TLRs and the Vittorias arent durable tires by any measure. The guy who designed them was also one of the chief designers at Conti before taking a job at Specialized.
Quote Reply