Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Brazil - Up to get down?
Quote | Reply
So I'm thinking of tacking on IMBr to the start of my South American Holiday but I want to know everyone else's experience there?
Any info you have would help? Tips? great race? too hard? difficult for a foreigner?
hit me with your best shot!!!
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brazil - Up to get down? [joshymino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have run Ironman Brazil from 2015 to 2018 and I am registered for 2019. I share information about the race:

1) Trip to Florianopolis. There are connecting flights from Rio de Janeiro or São Paulo. Once you arrive in Floripa, you must take a transfer (40 to 60 minutes) to Jureré or Canasvieiras. The trip is made by highway (the same one where the stage of bicycle is made). If you travel alone, a normal car can carry the bike box and a suitcase without problems. You can also rent a car for approximately usd130 for 7 days.

2) Place to stay: Jureré is the place where the race takes place. In case of not owning a car it is the recommended place to stay. You can rent houses, at that time of year there is almost no tourism, or hotels near the race. If you own a car, another place can be
Canasvieiras, which is 10 minutes from Jureré, is cheaper, with fewer athletes and more choice of supermarkets and restaurants. Even if you don't speak Portuguese, you can make yourself understood without problems.

3) Organization: Ironman Brazil has an austere organization. The athlete's kit has 2 T-shirts, one for being registered and another one for finishers, maybe some small bag and nothing else. Don't expect to receive big backpacks as they are delivered at Ironmans in USA or Europe. The kit delivery process is simple and fast, as is the Saturday delivery of bicycles. Everything is done in the same place where the Expo is held and the athlete's kit is removed.

4) Wheater: usually the temperature is from 17 to 24 degrees. In Brazil it is autumn during the race so the temperature is warm. In 2015 and 2017 there were sunny days but in 2016 and 2017 there were rainy days.

5) Swim: the stage takes place in Jureré and is easy. The circuit is a single lap but it leaves the water, you travel 50mts along the beach and then you enter again to complete the stage. Usually the sea is calm and without waves. I'm not a good swimmer and I've never had problems on the stage, with a PB of 1h07m in 2018.

6) Bike: the cycling stage takes place on the island's main highway. Cycling is done on the inner lane of the highway, on the right lane cars circulate most of the way. It is a fast circuit with high drafting that can be easily avoided, if there is the will to do so. There are 2 laps of 90km. You must climb on each turn, 2 climbs ("Morros") when going north and then, the same 2, when going south. They are climbs of about 5min maximum each. The asphalt is regular and it is necessary to pay attention to the road to avoid punctures. Street cuts are well done and cars are not a problem.

7) Run: 1 lap of 21km and 2 laps of 10.5km each. From kilometer 2 to 5 and then from 10 to 13 there are soft rolling hills. Then the course is completely flat. In the sector of Jureré there are many people encouraging and it is very pleasant to run. The sector of the route is more monotonous and with few spectators.

Ironman Brazil is a fast race, with a medium to low degree of difficulty and friendly for the athlete. It does not have the level of organization or service of other races, nor are its landscapes dazzling (I just finished IM Cozumel which is the opposite of IM Brazil with respect to landscape). It is an ideal race to do a PB. Personally, I choose to do it because of the proximity, comfort of the place and ease of the circuit.

I hope this information is useful. Do not hesitate to consult any other question.

Ezequiel
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brazil - Up to get down? [joshymino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the same... IM Brazil then back packing. I'd recommend it depending on how much time you have to travel. Places like iguacu, campo grande, pantanal are still a bit far from florianopolis if you're short on time. Local internal flights with local airlines like were cheap

We stayed in a air bnb apartment in florianopolis city which was cheap and had open late supermarkets, pharmacies, restaurants and bike shops close by... The taxi drive to jurere beach was cheap and longish but doable. If you are on time a place at jurere beach would be nice but its quite a small and well off beach town. The number pick up and race start/finish was there and after party was in florianopolis. The island itself is pretty relaxed, not chaotic and road quality and safety is great.

The race itself is beautiful, clear blue waters, white sands, spacious 2 lane motorway bike course (rolling like Roth with nice views) , enthusiastic local supporters, the run is fast but interesting enough not to be boring.

Keep in mind that the word for bike pump there is bomba.... That can be confusing at customs

The rodisio restaurants are fantastic for after the event and carbo loading ... It's all yiu can eat delicious prime beef for good price
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Dec 4, 18 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brazil - Up to get down? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankyou guys I really appreciate the information!! Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brazil - Up to get down? [ezeocampo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to revive this forum after several months but I'm curious where you did race-prep training while in Jurere? Are there nice roads for cycling?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brazil - Up to get down? [revane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
revane wrote:
Sorry to revive this forum after several months but I'm curious where you did race-prep training while in Jurere? Are there nice roads for cycling?

There are nice roads close to Jurerê, but you have to be careful with the cars. In fact, you can train in parts of the IM bike course.

Since I live in Florianopolis, I feel that I should say a few things about the city.
- I think Florianopolis is at least as beautiful as Cozumel - the thing is that the IM race course is through our highway (SC 401) and the city main avenue, and they're far from the most scenic parts of the city. The northern part of the island, where Jurerê and Canasvieiras are located, has been settled very recently and is not very aesthetically pleasing. Jurerê Internacional is a very affluent neighbourhood, so expect a kinda of "subtropical Beverly Hills" vibe. I find it insufferably tacky. The really dramatic scenery in Florianopolis is found in the southern part of the island, which by the way is also where one can find the old colonial neighbourhoods. I would love if the bike part of the race could pass by these parts of the city, but unfortunately it would be a logistical nightmare to close those roads.
- If you're into diving, unfortunately we don't have coral reefs like Cozumel, but we do have really nice diving spots by our coast. When I go OW swim, I always see sea animals swimming by.
- Also, the race is in May, which is Autumn here and since Florianopolis has a temperate weather, the days are likely to be overcast or rainy. If you're lucky to catch a "veranico", which is a two-week span of hot weather that we sometimes have in May, I bet you'll have an unforgettable stay here.
- If you like seafood, you'll eat like a king here, and the prices and quality of the seafood in the city is unmatched in the country. We have a meal here called "rodada de camarão", in which you are served several courses of different preparations of shrimps. Very, very yummy.
- Differently from other Brazilian cities, Florianopolis is very safe. I'm from São Paulo and I love how safe I feel here. I go out in my bike and I don't worry at all.
- Our beaches are a thing of legends. They're sandy, white, very clean and the water is warm!
- The city is mostly located on an island, so there are lots of places to do OW sessions.
- The locals are very friendly, and even if they don't speak English, they'll make an effort to understand and help you.
- If I could choose a place to do a prep for the IM, I would stay at Daniela, which is a neighbourhood close to Jurerê. It's very calm, there are few tourists around there this time of the year and the sea there is perfect for OW sessions.
- The city fits all kinds of pockets. It's hand down cheaper than Rio or any other big tourist destination in Brazil.

If you talk to the locals and get suggestions of places to visit here, you'll see that this island is a f*****g paradise. If you have any questions about the city, just send me a message!

Last edited by: RafaelMB: May 3, 19 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brazil - Up to get down? [revane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi revane.

In the days leading up to the race I did my training in this way:
1) Indoor trainer
2) Here: https://www.google.com.ar/...d-27.4535435!1m0!3e1
3) Here:
https://www.google.com.ar/...114f!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e1

I consider training on the highway to be unsafe
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brazil - Up to get down? [RafaelMB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rafael,

Late entry to this string, but I'm coming down for the 2020 Ironman 70.3 in Florianopolis. We are coming down as part of a visit to friends and family and race. I understand the race has been moved to Ingleses. How is the water there? I know it is more open than Jurere, but I'm curious about the conditions at Ingleses in late April.

Thanks!

Jim Lane
Rohnert Park, CA
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brazil - Up to get down? [Jim.Lane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jim,

The swim in Ingleses is WAY more technical than in Jurere. Up to early May, it's still possible to go for a swim in both beaches without a wetsuit, the difference being that Ingleses is an oceanic beach, so the sea can get quite choppy over there - a friend of mine likes to go surfing at Ingleses because of that.

Jurere, on the other hand, is a beach in a bay inside a larger bay, so it's often just like a lake.

I see that you're based near the Bay area. Don't worry about weather conditions, even our coldest months will feel like spring to you.

Best of luck!
Last edited by: RafaelMB: Nov 3, 19 18:33
Quote Reply