Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scanning and Electronic Check-In Help!
Quote | Reply
I volunteered to assist the membership committee of my swim club. Don't judge me.

The club is in the dark ages regarding technology. Everything is paper and snail mail.

Anyone have experience creating electronic check-in to a location using a phone, etc.

It can't be that hard or expensive, right?

Can you get me started?
Quote Reply
Re: Scanning and Electronic Check-In Help! [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s wrong with a list on a clipboard that has a pencil attached?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I dont take my phone to the pool, don't want to have to worry about it getting stolen. Our Subdivision pool has member cards, they collect when you come and give back when you leave. Easy peazy and cheap. Has worked for Decades why change.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
I volunteered...

This is your first mistake.

Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Scanning and Electronic Check-In Help! [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
DJRed wrote:
I volunteered...

This is your first mistake.

Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?

Au contraire, my Northern Friend. We have an annual $100 "Maintenance Assessment" each year that will be waived as a result of my volunteerism. So I've got that going for me.

I know this ends with the clipboard and pencil method, but at least I tried to do something better. My goal is to at least kill the paper registration forms and get that on-line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
as a result of my volunteerism

There's an ointment for that.

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Igibd most convenient is a tab with a bar code that hangs on my key ring.

I leave wallet and phone in car when at the gym. I am forgetful and often forget to lock my locker and don’t leave anything of value, except for car keys in my locker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughters choir went from paper tickets to an electronic system where volunteers use iPads to find your name and confirm your tickets. It keeps everything in one place, all online and it runs seamlessly.

Except for the part where it's 1000% slower, and the lineups to get in are huge to the point where it delays the start of the performance. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on how sensitive the information is, you could use a Google Form pretty easily for initial signup. Have a series of questions, and the results will be available to you in a spreadsheet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
I volunteered to assist the membership committee of my swim club. Don't judge me.

The club is in the dark ages regarding technology. Everything is paper and snail mail.

Anyone have experience creating electronic check-in to a location using a phone, etc.

It can't be that hard or expensive, right?

Can you get me started?

Stick with paper for sign-in sheets. paper always works (as long as there's a pen handy). electronic check-in opens up a whole can of worms. iOS vs Android, what version if iOS do you need, what Android do you need, will the app break if there's an update, what if someone's phone is dead, etc. etc.

for registration, our triathlon club uses raceroster.com for club registrations. It seems to work well, sign up and pay all via raceroster. You could probably go to them or a similar service.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Scanning and Electronic Check-In Help! [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
What Igibd most convenient is a tab with a bar code that hangs on my key ring.

I leave wallet and phone in car when at the gym. I am forgetful and often forget to lock my locker and don’t leave anything of value, except for car keys in my locker.

The gym I used to belong to had those. I hated them, the tab would break off every 2-3 months or so. They're too small to put in a wallet without losing them.

My current "gym" (actually the hotel across the street from our office) just uses a credit card sized hotel pass.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply