Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maui Suggestions
Quote | Reply
So the wife and I were originally planning to go to Belize or Costa Rica this winter (previous thread). However I was reading on the CDC about Zika and they recommend (1) pregnant women don’t travel to Zika countries and (2) don’t try to conceive for at least 3 months after. So given that, pretty much all Central America and the Caribbean are off the list now. So current plan is Maui in the first week of February.

Any advice on what to do or where to stay (deciding between West and South). Just the wife and I. Early 30’s, not into nightlife, wanting to snorkel, hike, sit on the beach and play in the water (will be escaping the gray cold NW winter). Not going to surf, but I do like boggie boarding and jumping around in the waves. Also, I’d like to fit in a little but of SBR in the mornings.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Maui Suggestions [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife and I went on kidless trip last time and stayed up in Napili at Napili Shores (the place where the Gazebo Restaurant is).

- Super quiet and away from all the resort crap - but the drive into Kaanapali or Lahaina is very easy
- Beach was perfect for swimming
- Location was awesome for West Maui Loop almost every day (and able to avoid the shitty area near Lahaina/Kaanapaili which is basically a freeway with lots of traffic)
- Loads of great running around Napili with almost zero traffic - some decent hills too
Last edited by: y_nigel: Dec 3, 18 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
So the wife and I were originally planning to go to Belize or Costa Rica this winter (previous thread). However I was reading on the CDC about Zika and they recommend (1) pregnant women don’t travel to Zika countries and (2) don’t try to conceive for at least 3 months after. So given that, pretty much all Central America and the Caribbean are off the list now. So current plan is Maui in the first week of February.

Any advice on what to do or where to stay (deciding between West and South). Just the wife and I. Early 30’s, not into nightlife, wanting to snorkel, hike, sit on the beach and play in the water (will be escaping the gray cold NW winter). Not going to surf, but I do like boggie boarding and jumping around in the waves. Also, I’d like to fit in a little but of SBR in the mornings.

We were there two summers ago. The best snorkeling we found was Honolua Bay, which doesn't have a beach. Much less crowding, even with two large snorkeling boats anchored when we were there. At least one sea turtle swam through when we were there.

Napili Bay has a nice beach and a decent restaurant (and many turtles), but it gets crowded. There's not a lot of "surf" as we would describe it here in NJ around this area. The surfers are east of Kahului.

We stayed in Ka'anapali at some VRBO-found condo. There's a path from there to Black Rock that's a couple of miles, which I used for some runs. Iao Valley is nice to walk through.

Haleakala for the sunset is pretty nice. The drive up and down (especially down in the dark) can be a bit harrowing. You could hike in the crater (remember that it's at altitude, and on the side of a mountain).

The road to Hana is hard to do, but there's a black sand beach and a volcanic tube you can visit (turn off your flashlights to "see" the blackest dark you'll ever see).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Haleakala sunrise (need online res. for sunrise entrance...get it now, they go super quick) or pay at booth if during the day entrance
  • Road to Hana (rent a jeep, take the covers off, download road to hana tour Gypsy tour guide app and go)...6am-6pm if you start from ~Kapalua
  • If your on the west side just past Maalaea, pull off Honoapilani Hwy (notice where locals parking their trucks) and enjoy your own private beach
  • Check out the lava fields at La Perouse Bay
  • Mama's Fish House in Paia for "fine" dining in Maui where you can still wear chanclas
  • Lahaina if you must...

Last edited by: Pelotontopodium: Dec 3, 18 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having stayed at both locations I prefer kaanapali beach. Not many better places on the planet IMO. Great for all beach activity, except surfing is just ok. Paddle boarding and snorkeling around blackrock are great. Great location for SBR. You are a short hop to Lahaina, which is one of the best beach towns in Hawaii, but there is also a lot of food at the beach as well. Lahaina also has a number of charters you can take (I recommend the snorkel trip to Lanai). You are close to olivine pools, honoloa bay, napili, and other attractions. It is a long drive to the volcano and Hana is a whole day trip (but worth it).

Buy the book “Maui Rvealed”. It has literally everything in it to see, do, eat, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a charter to molokini or lanai for snorkling. There's guided tours, many leave from Lahaina.

I personally like the west coast, kanapaali and thereabouts. If you stay near there, Slappy Cakes is fun and different for breakfast. And there's a great sushi restaurant in Kapalua- maybe called Dolphin? I can't remember but shouldn't be hard to find.

Wailea is also nice and chill. Morimoto (Iron Chef fame) has a restaurant down there. Great food, and amazing views.
Quote Reply
Re: Maui Suggestions [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
Take a charter to molokini or lanai for snorkling. There's guided tours, many leave from Lahaina.

I personally like the west coast, kanapaali and thereabouts. If you stay near there, Slappy Cakes is fun and different for breakfast. And there's a great sushi restaurant in Kapalua- maybe called Dolphin? I can't remember but shouldn't be hard to find.

Wailea is also nice and chill. Morimoto (Iron Chef fame) has a restaurant down there. Great food, and amazing views.

We took a boat to Lanai. Be warned that Lanai is pretty barren, so you need to bring everything you might want (chairs, food, water, etc.) It's a hike from the dock to the beach. I wasn't overly impressed by the snorkeling the day we went.

We stayed near Slappy Cakes, and ate there once. It was good.

Don't forget whale watching will be in season when you are there.

Oh, and Snorkel Bob's for renting snorkeling equipment for the length of your stay.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been a couple times, stayed on West side both times. I'd reco a whale watching tour with Gemini I think it is...was great, plenty of drinks as well, and your timing will be perfect for when they are all over there. I'd skip a luau no question. South side seems more regular life if you are VRBOing it, beaches seem a bit bigger too, might have more luck with boogeyboarding but no good info for you there. Miso Phat sushi, Coconuts Fish Cafe, and shaved ice for food...Maui brewing company has a couple taprooms too to check out. Easy little hike on westside is the blowhole/heart rock, worth the easy and scenic drive. Great trip, can't go wrong, enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: Maui Suggestions [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
Wife and I went on kidless trip last time and stayed up in Napili at Napili Shores (the place where the Gazebo Restaurant is).

- Super quiet and away from all the resort crap - but the drive into Kaanapali or Lahaina is very easy
- Beach was perfect for swimming
- Location was awesome for West Maui Loop almost every day (and able to avoid the shitty area near Lahaina/Kaanapaili which is basically a freeway with lots of traffic)
- Loads of great running around Napili with almost zero traffic - some decent hills too

Co-sign. Napili is our favorite place to stay.
Quote Reply
Re: Maui Suggestions [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
jw13 wrote:

We took a boat to Lanai. Be warned that Lanai is pretty barren, so you need to bring everything you might want (chairs, food, water, etc.) It's a hike from the dock to the beach. I wasn't overly impressed by the snorkeling the day we went.

We stayed near Slappy Cakes, and ate there once. It was good.

Don't forget whale watching will be in season when you are there.

Oh, and Snorkel Bob's for renting snorkeling equipment for the length of your stay.

I saw a shark at that snorkeling spot on Lanai! Hadn't see one in any other place I've snorkeled on Maui, so that was a highlight.

Napili is great for snorkeling if you go out to the second reef and along the north wall. There are so many turtles that they didn't even warrant a second look by the end of my week there. It's like, oh yeah, there's a turtle (again). Some beautiful colorful coral out there. You can also rent a paddleboard at Napili Shores for dirt cheap.

eta: Trilogy is my favorite snorkel boat. Took a trip with them to Molokini and Lanai.
Last edited by: Erin C.: Dec 3, 18 19:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.napilikai.com

I begrudgingly agreed to vacation at Napili Kai with my wife 16 years ago and have enthusiasticly returned just about every year since. My 13 YO daughter plans to have her wedding there. It’s that good.

Scott
Quote Reply