Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I bought a laptop
Quote | Reply
I have a home computer, but it's huge and all the USB ports are bad. They have all pushed in, piece of crap. I decided that I don't use the home system unless I'm going to print and to back up my phone.

I bought this. https://www.bestbuy.com/...6400.p?skuId=6266400

Worth it? Seems to have everything I need and It'll fit in the draw so I won't have a huge monitor on my desk.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: I bought a laptop [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is a “home computer” and “monitor” grandma?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
I have a home computer, but it's huge and all the USB ports are bad. They have all pushed in, piece of crap. I decided that I don't use the home system unless I'm going to print and to back up my phone.

I bought this. https://www.bestbuy.com/...6400.p?skuId=6266400

Worth it? Seems to have everything I need and It'll fit in the draw so I won't have a huge monitor on my desk.

It will handle email and some surfing on the web. Anything processing/graphics intensive and it will struggle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lenovo, not a bad choice if you don't mind the Chinese spying on you.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: I bought a laptop [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Lenovo, not a bad choice if you don't mind the Chinese spying on you.

Nope, don't care if they spy on me. I'll tell them straight up I have 11 dollars in the bank and a 10 in my wallet. If they wanna watch me through the non existent camera, they can have fun doing that too. ;)

All they are gonna see on my computer are pictures of my dogs. Pretty boring for a snoop.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: I bought a laptop [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
What is a “home computer” and “monitor” grandma?

I'm getting there. I didn't wanna just toss the old computer before I could find something to replace it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to get something with a solid state drive. Disc drives make the computer much slower. 4gb of ram is also pathetic. It's going to run like a turd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother and I were talking about this last week. A salesperson at Best Buy told him, "you get what you pay for." Most of their returned laptops were the super-cheap ones people weren't happy with.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: I bought a laptop [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
You want to get something with a solid state drive. Disc drives make the computer much slower. 4gb of ram is also pathetic. It's going to run like a turd.

I seriously will not be doing anything on it but backing up my iphone and saving pictures. Printing the occasional document too. I won't even be using it to search the web unless I need to print the web page for some unknown reason.

If I get it and it sucks, I'll return it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

I seriously will not be doing anything on it but backing up my iphone and saving pictures. Printing the occasional document too. I won't even be using it to search the web unless I need to print the web page for some unknown reason.

You should be able to do that all on your phone. You can back everything up online. You can print from your phone. For the same price you can get an ipad which will be faster, have a much better screen with far more battery life.

It's your money. You can buy the Yugo. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Quote Reply
Re: I bought a laptop [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Nova wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

You should be able to do that all on your phone. You can back everything up online. You can print from your phone. For the same price you can get an ipad which will be faster, have a much better screen with far more battery life.

It's your money. You can buy the Yugo. Don't say we didn't warn you.

I have an Ipad and I don't wanna back up on line, I want it on a portable hard drive. The only way to get it form my phone to the hard drive is a computer, so I'm getting a cheap one.

I asked, you answered, thank you for your input. Like I said, if it's complete shit I can return it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll be fine for what you want. Until a couple of months ago, I was using an HP with an i5 processor and 4Gb of RAM for work, and it did everything I wanted it to. It was slow when calculating my 5-10gig excel workbooks, but most computers are.

If you find it's slower than you'd like, you can always throw in more RAM.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really sure what Fishy's problem is for you needs it would be fine.

Another option would be to get a low end chromebook. That would save the overhead of windows on the machine and help it work a bit better. https://www.bestbuy.com/...0703.p?skuId=6170703

But really either would work.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply