Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM MDP (S.A. Championship). Ex-Pros....
Quote | Reply
This weekend was Ironman Mar Del Plata.
(Kona Slots will be given today, not sure if athletes mentioned below will the slots accept it or not).

But, for a person like me and many others here in ST (15 yrs doing triathlon, 2 kids, full time job, drug free) is being harder and harder to compete in AG.

1st M30-34 - Manny Huerta - 2x Olympic (2012 & 2016)
1st M45-49 - Oscar Galindez - (no resumé need here)
1st M50-54 - Laurent Jalabert - (ex-pro cycling)

I know that this topic was already discussed several times.....
Quote Reply
Re: IM MDP (S.A. Championship). Ex-Pros.... [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, been done to death, you looking for a new category, drug free dads??? Maybe overweight by 10 lbs too? (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparantly, AG not alone to complain...

https://twitter.com/BW_Tri?lang=fr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KQing at this point requires you to be smart about which race you pick and to have the race of your life. No pressure.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how much easeir do you want it to get a slot 4th in 45-49 is 1.45hours down on race winner ....

and i assume this age groups had 8 slots ?

Many won his age group by less than 2 min
Quote Reply
Re: IM MDP (S.A. Championship). Ex-Pros.... [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Apparantly, AG not alone to complain...

https://twitter.com/BW_Tri?lang=fr

I do not like doping, but some people just need to move on. They just look petty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are going to have to start your own triathlon series so you can ban all former pros, former olympians, full time coaches, independently wealthy athletes, and basically all people faster than you; then success is yours!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind the former pro occasionally racing and maybe taking a slot. I have stronger feelings about the profamateurs who decline their pro card so they can still race Kona every year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM MDP (S.A. Championship). Ex-Pros.... [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
I don't mind the former pro occasionally racing and maybe taking a slot. I have stronger feelings about the profamateurs who decline their pro card so they can still race Kona every year.

Why? If anything way too many people are taking pro cards who shouldn't be.
Quote Reply
Re: IM MDP (S.A. Championship). Ex-Pros.... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
You are going to have to start your own triathlon series so you can ban all former pros, former olympians, full time coaches, independently wealthy athletes, and basically all people faster than you; then success is yours!

Under those conditions I'm certain that obtaining qualification would be highly coveted, noteworthy and recognized world wide as a significant achievement.

Sign me up.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: IM MDP (S.A. Championship). Ex-Pros.... [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:

Racing at a level where your performance is comparable to other pros doesn't seem to jive with my general understanding of amateur sports. Perhaps I should clarify..."stronger feelings" = massive eye roll when someone who has qualified for a pro card celebrates an AG win.

Just curious, who do you think should be taking pro cards if not those who are eligible under the current system?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTRIB wrote:
(Kona Slots will be given today, not sure if athletes mentioned below will the slots accept it or not).

But, for a person like me and many others here in ST (15 yrs doing triathlon, 2 kids, full time job, drug free) is being harder and harder to compete in AG.

Put me in the camp of welcoming ex pros (who do not have confirmed doping history) to the AG ranks. If you want to go to the world championships, you have to be fast and that is as it should be.

Otherwise, just go to ITU aquabike worlds.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM MDP (S.A. Championship). Ex-Pros.... [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

Racing at a level where your performance is comparable to other pros doesn't seem to jive with my general understanding of amateur sports. Perhaps I should clarify..."stronger feelings" = massive eye roll when someone who has qualified for a pro card celebrates an AG win.

Just curious, who do you think should be taking pro cards if not those who are eligible under the current system?

The current system is too easy to gain status. There are lots of people who can qualify under the current system, and many who take pro cards, who will never be able to hit the 8% to keep their pro card past the initial qualification window. There is nothing wrong with someone who works full time, has a family etc, but is also super fast, choosing to be a dominant age grouper instead of a middling pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there is anything WRONG with that either...just one of those "what I'd do" things.

You are right about the criteria to earn versus maintaining. I'm definitely thinking of those who could maintain a pro card in all of this. If someone can maintain a pro card I personally think that's the level they should be racing at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually think the standard has gotten harder only because there are fewer and fewer races eligible for elite card status. Now they have helped by adding in power score but I think it’s as good/fair as it’ll get.

ETA: although I am on the side of the other guy. Yes anyone can choose whatever category they want, I just as well give an “eye roll” when I see someone always winning big races and not step up. But as you say athletes have choices.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 3, 18 7:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No matter how stringent they make the elite card qualification standard, someone will always be at the back of the pack.

If I just barely qualified by grabbing a couple of 103 or higher USAT scores, I would not take the card. But that's just my personal preference at age 41. If someone qualifies for the card and wants to test themselves against the best, even if they are likely to be near the back, good for them. Without taking on great challenges, you'll never do great things.

I decided to race in the 2000 US Olympic Trials for rowing despite knowing that just avoiding finishing DFL would be a mark of success for me. I knew I could not win, even if we had the best race of our lives. And of course, in my heat we (I was in the light 2x) were assigned the lane next to the favorites. And even though I knew it was not the way to get to the line in our fastest possible time, I resolved to hang with them for as long as possible, just for the experience of it because the experience is why I was there. So we rowed our faces off for the first 1000m and hung right in there. Then we totally blew up for the second 1000. But it was great. I'm so glad I did it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM MDP (S.A. Championship). Ex-Pros.... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
MTRIB wrote:

Put me in the camp of welcoming ex pros (who do not have confirmed doping history) to the AG ranks. If you want to go to the world championships, you have to be fast and that is as it should be.

Otherwise, just go to ITU aquabike worlds.

exactly that's why that was invented
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
No matter how stringent they make the elite card qualification standard, someone will always be at the back of the pack.

If I just barely qualified by grabbing a couple of 103 or higher USAT scores, I would not take the card. But that's just my personal preference at age 41. If someone qualifies for the card and wants to test themselves against the best, even if they are likely to be near the back, good for them. Without taking on great challenges, you'll never do great things.

I decided to race in the 2000 US Olympic Trials for rowing despite knowing that just avoiding finishing DFL would be a mark of success for me. I knew I could not win, even if we had the best race of our lives. And of course, in my heat we (I was in the light 2x) were assigned the lane next to the favorites. And even though I knew it was not the way to get to the line in our fastest possible time, I resolved to hang with them for as long as possible, just for the experience of it because the experience is why I was there. So we rowed our faces off for the first 1000m and hung right in there. Then we totally blew up for the second 1000. But it was great. I'm so glad I did it.

Did your partner readily agree??? Cool story regardless. I've read David Halberstam's The Amateurs three times. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IM MDP (S.A. Championship). Ex-Pros.... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Did your partner readily agree??? Cool story regardless. I've read David Halberstam's The Amateurs three times. :)

He may not have been fully on board with the plan ...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

He may not have been fully on board with the plan ...

Well, regardless I think I'd feel same way if I had Q'd for the swimming Oly Trials. Just going would be a huge honor. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply