Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IT band knee pain
Quote | Reply
Short version: The leg swing (2:45) and 90-90 (4:15) exercises demonstrated in this video eliminated my knee pain.
Long version: In August of 2017 I had sudden onset of severe hip osteoarthritis. Naturally I started limping while awaiting hip replacement. About this time I started having lateral knee pain on the same leg. Hip replacement went really well and the hip is fine. But the knee pain persisted till last week (yes, a year and 3 months). I saw two orthopedic docs who both told me I would just have to live with it and manage it with NSAIDs. I saw four different PTs who gave me various exercises including some hip abduction exercises. These seemed like they might help a little but the pain would always return. I finally gave up on medical care and realized I was on my own to figure it out. By process of elimination I determined that the pain had to be associated with IT band. So I searched for IT band stretches and stumbled onto that video. The first time I tried the 90-90 I couldn't even make my foot move. With serious concentration I got it to move a little and did about 12 reps. When I stood up from that first effort, I had NO knee pain. GONE! I've had no NSAIDs in 4 days and still have no knee pain. Unbelievable!! I continue to do both the leg swings and the 90-90s but I think its the 90-90s that are the real solution. I can now do ~30 reps and my foot is coming up higher every day. Might or might not work for you but it probably can't hurt to try.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: IT band knee pain [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got the video link?

I really need this!
Quote Reply
Re: IT band knee pain [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was linked in my post but here it is just in case its not showing up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuRhjYqOjz0
Good luck,
Jim

EndlessH2O wrote:
Got the video link?
I really need this!
Quote Reply
Re: IT band knee pain [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing! Yeah, that 90-90 stretch really activates and stretches the gluteus medius which (when tight) is core culprit of a tight IT Band. When in the 90-90 stretch you can also just straighten the lower leg, and lean straight forward, down toward the floor like a push-up position) with your leg tucked under you. That will also open your hip, and stretch the heck out of the gluteus medius. I've got it down where I can almost lie flat on the floor. Been doing that stretch for close to 10 years and ITBS hasn't shown up again since.
Quote Reply