Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Used Trucks........ Hilux, Ranger, Navara or L200
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a used diesel truck, 5-10 years old

I am leaning towards a hilux because all I know about it is thag Clarkson put one in the seven estuary, set it on fire and put it on top of a building that was demolished and in every instance it kept starting.

So that sort of bodes well for me.

Needs to be a double cab. Have seen the wildtrak - looks good.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Used Trucks........ Hilux, Ranger, Navara or L200 [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in the USA and would do anything for a diesel Hilux!
Quote Reply
Re: Used Trucks........ Hilux, Ranger, Navara or L200 [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of those, at that age, probably the Hilux

Had a Navara of that vintage (D40) and because they are built in Spain, they tend to be less reliable than the previous generation built in Japan
The one I had before that (D22 with the ZD 3.0 l motor) was brilliant and was the reason I bought the (disappointing) D40
Which Ranger?
With the 3.2l 5 cylinder diesel or earlier?
Either way, its basically the same as a Mazda BT-50 and at least here in Oz, the Rangers have better resale value so you may get a better equiped BT-50 for less money

The L200 of that vintage had issues with conrods escaping the block, so may be best to steer clear of those
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't know much about the other trucks that you've listed, but i had a (japanese) hilux when i lived in africa.

man . . . i loved that car.

when i was thinking of buying it (used), i took it to the local toyota shop to ask them to have a look. they asked me about the mileage - i think it was something like 100 000 or 150 000. the mechanic sort of laughed and said, "oh, fine. come back when it's got about 300 000 and we'll give it a once-over."

i drove that thing through rivers, across deserts, i rammed it with cargo and people, slept in it, you name it. it took a pounding and never complained one bit. a 3L V6 that churned out wild amounts of torque.

at one point i thought the transmission was busted - i had to do 100+ highway miles with no clutch. made it to the mechanic who yanked a huge bolt out that had wedged into the pressure plate, wiped everything down, and gave me the keys back. a few bucks and it was good as new. once i thought the motor was dying on me, and it turned out someone had split the air intake hose while leaning over the engine. bit of duct-tape and eventually a new hose - 20$ and it was good as new again.

if it made any sense to own one in my current situation i'd love to, but i'm a hatchback man (for practical and environmental reasons) these days. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been driving Toyota pickups (mostly 4WD) since 1988.

Just buy the HiLux. You won't regret it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't think the Ranger was made in a double cab version. Or is that just a North America issue?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hands down the Hilux. It is the only vehicle for the coming zombie apocalypse. As you stated Clarkson did everything he could think of to stop that little truck and it came back and asked for more.
Quote Reply
Re: Used Trucks........ Hilux, Ranger, Navara or L200 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not 5-10 years old though. I meant the old Ranger.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Used Trucks........ Hilux, Ranger, Navara or L200 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aha. Not sure how far back it goes. Good point. Search has been limited to doubles and a price range. I will check about the ranger.
Quote Reply