Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boardman Tunnel Interesting Test Data
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else noticed the data starting to trickle out of the Boardman Wind Tunnel? Lots of very very low CdA numbers. Granted, some of these numbers are on testers/track riders who are very slippery, but seeing decently sized men under .17 and a few in the .15* range seems abnormal.
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman Tunnel Interesting Test Data [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with this. However I’ve only seen a handful of data points: one here, two from aerocoach, and one from TTUK forums.
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman Tunnel Interesting Test Data [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
a few in the .15* range seems abnormal.

Who?
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman Tunnel Interesting Test Data [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We’re actually trained up as independent tunnel operators so collect and process the raw data differently than Boardman personnel. There are two organisations operating out of the tunnel - AeroCoach are separate from Boardman and so our sessions have blacked out windows etc (as we work with other bicycle companies and manufacturers in the industry, we have an agreement that Boardman don’t have access to our sessions or the data).

I’m not sure how Boardman collect or process their data but I doubt it’s too different to ours. We’ve been really happy with how the data has tracked with our indoor velodrome, outdoor velodrome and outdoor field/race day data - and worked with Boardman and KWSP (who built the tunnel) before it opened, to check protocols and perform testing to ensure everything was fine. If it wasn’t we wouldn’t be using it!

We can’t release identifiable info about our clients individual CdAs (except for team/sponsored riders), but I can say that we’ve seen <0.160 on the indoor velodrome and outdoor velodrome for both men and women and also <0.160 in the tunnel. When you see something low like 0.17x or under you can often tell! We had a 183cm team rider down at 0.168m^2 recently, that sort of thing does require a lot of attention to detail however.

At the moment we have a fair bit of public data out already/coming out on our 2019 (UCI legal!) clothing project with Nopinz (mostly Facebook and Instagram), including the ubiquitous “arm on a stick” this week! We've also done public disc wheel data and the Conti GP 5000 aero data too.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Last edited by: Xavier: Nov 30, 18 23:58
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman Tunnel Interesting Test Data [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hello

183cm guy (6') at 0.168 SCx/CdA is impressive indeed.
I suppose it was disk wheell front and back, track bike, and specific speed suit fabric (UCI compliant ?).

I'm sure progress in textile fabric will continue to bring a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman Tunnel Interesting Test Data [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Hello

I suppose it was disk wheell front and back, track bike, and specific speed suit fabric (UCI compliant ?).

Yes track bike with double discs and UCI legal kit. All the new stuff we're doing is UCI legal as well (thankfully, as we were well underway before the rules got changed!)

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman Tunnel Interesting Test Data [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
a few in the .15* range seems abnormal.

Who?

A couple of the HUUB/WattBike boys showed some results in the .15 range on Instagram a few weeks back.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Xavier

In 2015 I did calculated Alex Dowsett at 0.174 during its Hour Record (also a 183cm guy). Was it near ?

Seemed very low, given relatively "classic" position, but then Dan Bigham said he was .175, so it seems realistic.
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman Tunnel Interesting Test Data [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
A couple of the HUUB/WattBike boys showed some results in the .15 range on Instagram a few weeks back.

Which ones? Not the Tanfields surely....

And note that removing brakes and derailleurs does result in a substantial reduction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigham looks a lot more aero to me. Dowsett has some "magic" aero going on I think...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Xavier mention 0.168 as the better perf he saw for a 183cm guy on a track bike with double disk, then a CdA below 0.160 come from a smaller guy (or girl). Probably below 175cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it was low for his hour record ride - I was track centre at the time with a weather sensor and it started raining outside right before he started, so the air density absolutely plummeted! I think he might have been using a road P2M for the stated 358w.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Hello

Yes track bike with double discs and UCI legal kit. All the new stuff we're doing is UCI legal as well (thankfully, as we were well underway before the rules got changed!)

Any time frame for the new 2019 skinsuits?
Quote Reply
Re: Boardman Tunnel Interesting Test Data [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Xavier wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Hello

Any time frame for the new 2019 skinsuits?

I hope a low yaw version is ready by June. Elite track nationals starts July 2nd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Yes it was low for his hour record ride - I was track centre at the time with a weather sensor and it started raining outside right before he started, so the air density absolutely plummeted! I think he might have been using a road P2M for the stated 358w.

He was lucky with air density, more than Wiggo :-)
However, 53km/h with 358w is impressive.

Alex was the only one (to my knowledge) revealing HR power average ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

Which ones? Not the Tanfields surely....

And note that removing brakes and derailleurs does result in a substantial reduction.

Here is the picture with the very low figures : https://www.instagram.com/p/BpnGuiMFViF/

The comment mention Dan Bigham CdA. The one designated by the finger ?
I don't think so. Dan is 183cm / 75kg (from British Team site), so I guess Dan is the CdA 0.168 183cm guy mentioned by Xavier.
1 or 2 years ago Dan indicated being .175, so make sense.

The figures from the pictures are at yaw ? Don't know.
Sometime 5° and 10° yaw CdA lower than 0°yaw CdA, see this post :
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...da_target_P5496638-5

About UCI rule (pad / tip of aerobar height being +/-10cm), don't know if it is still valid, but looking at Dan and other Huub Wattbike riders, know how they avoid it to go high mantis :
1) 2 or 3 fingers lay above the top of the bar : 3 to 4 cm gain
2) pad is situated upper in the bar, elbow being significantly below bottom of pad : 3 or 5 cm more...

In LD tri, life is easier for high mantis :-)
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Dec 3, 18 6:02
Quote Reply