Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts?
Quote | Reply
Been looking at the stryde foot pod. For the next few months, by the time I get home from work its dark or too cold for me to want to run out side. So at least till February I'll be running at the gym on a treadmill mostly. But after that I mostly run outside.

Interested in hearing about your experience with the stryde foot pod as far as:
-did you use it on the road or treadmill
-what kind of watch did you use with it to see your numbers in real time
-how did it affect your training and/or pacing during a race
-anything else you'd feel relevant to share about your experience with it

I don't know anybody that has one and wanted to get more info before shelling out the money.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [Kaywould] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering the same thing! However, I am very wary of this just being a gimmick. I don't doubt that the info is somewhat useful, but I have doubts. I've never once heard of runners or run coaches talk about run power. You get power from the biomechanics of how you run, meaning how your leg(s) strike and push off the ground. Stryd does not measure that push off the same way a bike power meter can measure the way you push the pedals. I'm not an expert, but there's a reason that it's not a mainstream product. They are pushing the ads pretty hard on Facebook and Instagram though I've noticed...

Nourish - Sports Nutrition Made Easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- I use it on the treadmill and the road/trail. Good results with both.
- Garmin 735 and 935 - Works perfectly with both. You can change what data you get as well. Real time power, NP, etc.
- It has really helped my training/racing and I am running faster than ever before. Particularly good for me to pace hills and really crazy winds.
- Stryd has been game changing for my run. Nothing but good things to say.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Would you share why you think it's game changing? What does it help you to do? I feel like with running, I'm suffering/out of breath/struggling/whatever when it's a tough run and that Stryd would try to make me keep going when I can't. Curious to know your feedback!

Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [TrainHrdRaceEz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are just many external variables that for me made pace unreliable and as a result, I ran too hard too often. You can debate accuracy, but there is certainly precision with the Stryd and because that is all I run with now, I am able to more precisely execute my run workouts. My easy days are better executed; the hard efforts and intervals are executed without blowing myself up. The Stryd isn't anything magical, but it just allows me to actually get my training in as prescribed. Without it I never went easy enough and I frequently went WAY too hard.

I don't look constantly at my watch, but I can spot check myself easily enough to stay on my power targets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Stryd footpod and I love it. It's just like training on the bike with power. I'll do one 1 mile at x watts, then 1 mile at y watts. It's great for the treadmill, especially if you're on multiple treadmills. You'll quickly figure out if a treadmill's MPH is off because the power is very consistent. For example, the treadmill at work at 7mph is roughly an 8:50 pace at 250 watts, but mine at hime at 7mph is a 9:20 pace at 240 watts.

It's great for running on zwift, but that's not the reason I bought it. I use it for pacing. After my crappy run at Chattanooga, I realized I needed something that I could use to help me pace better. Running with stryd pod is just like riding with a power meter. I use the same logic. I know I can hold 250 for so many miles then that's the power I hold. For example, I used it to race in a 5k on Thanksgiving. My threshold power was 380, so I pulled back on the uphills, and pushed on the flats and downhills and ran under 18 minutes for the first time and my NP was 380 watts.

I use a 920xt to show my power. There's also an app for the phone. I recommend checking out the FB page and doing some research to better understand the pod and how to use it. There's a ton of information out there. Makes you realize that "if" you're at race weight you can run faster. hahaha Who know if the power is accurate but it's been pretty spot on for me.

Just my 2 cents. It's expensive but so far so good.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THanks. Maybe it is worth it!

Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a correlation between your wattage zones in running vs your wattage zones in cycling? For example, is your threshold power running close to your threshold power riding?

Is a 1hr run at threshold still 100 tss points, or is there a different formula to determine tss from a run workout? Do you feel like 700 tss per week from running would feel like a similar amount of training stress as 700 tss points per week of biking?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't speak to the poster you are responding too, but run zones in general are a bit different though not wildly. Jim Vance has written about this. Regarding threshold power, I am fairly close in both disciplines though I don't know if its just a coincidence. Cycling vs run threshold power for me is within 20 watts.

In Training Peaks you can input the Vance run power zones the same way you would for cycling zones.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Nov 30, 18 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kaywould wrote:
Been looking at the stryde foot pod. For the next few months, by the time I get home from work its dark or too cold for me to want to run out side. So at least till February I'll be running at the gym on a treadmill mostly. But after that I mostly run outside.

Interested in hearing about your experience with the stryde foot pod as far as:
-did you use it on the road or treadmill
-what kind of watch did you use with it to see your numbers in real time
-how did it affect your training and/or pacing during a race
-anything else you'd feel relevant to share about your experience with it

I don't know anybody that has one and wanted to get more info before shelling out the money.

Thanks

1. Both
2. 935, 920, 230
3. Not much, started training to power in the late summer/early fall. Very similar to training with Daniels paces.
4. The change in effort is immediate like a bike PM but it really tracks to pace quite closely. So close that I feel one could be used for the other. The footpod distance/speed is very accurate/consistent compared to the Garmin footpod which is still pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
... and really crazy winds.

Stryd does not take wind into consideration

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wonderting the same. I own a Stryd, actually like it, but windy/gusty conditions really mess up everything. I assume the elevation measurement fails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using mine for almost a full year now with the Apple Watch 3. Use it on the treadmill and outside and only use it for exact accurate real time pace, never for power and it's been really useful! Like another poster said fantastic for spot checking.

Used it for Chicago Marathon this year as well and self-paced near dead even splits every single mile staying between 6:20-6:25 the entire race.

It's been especially running outdoors since I live in NYC and the GPS is mostly a crapshoot when it comes to accurate pace. Now I can train very precisely and use the live pace numbers to self-check what I think I'm running as far as effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. However, there is something going on where it is adequately compensating for this enough to assist in my training objectives. When I am working harder, but going slower than normal because of a 20 mph headwind my data fairly clearly shows the increased power despite a slower pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [sryke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sryke wrote:
I was wonderting the same. I own a Stryd, actually like it, but windy/gusty conditions really mess up everything. I assume the elevation measurement fails.

That is really interesting. Are you running the most up to date firmware out of curiosity?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Stryd for a couple of years and really find it helpful. I would agree with most assessments so far but would add that it has really helped with my cadence.

I found it really ingrained that faster cadences use less energy. As I worked on increasing my cadence, the RPE "seemed" harder than a slower cadence - but Stryd was showing that the "power" was actually less. Over time I got used to the higher cadence and became a better runner.

I'm in my late 40s now and running better than I ever have (I'm not a natural runner) and I attribute it to the data that proved to me that faster cadence is actually easier - even though it doesn't feel that way to start.

As for watch - I have a first version Vivoactive that works like a charm still.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waste of money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWESOME!!!
e.g. I go do a 20 km out and back goal of run
5 km in 22 min ( power 270-280)
5 km in 21 min ( 280-290)
5 km in 20 min ( 290-300)
5 km sub 20 min ( just over 300 )

I go out at 270-280 but run a 21:38 due to tail wind and 30 m descend
next 5 km 280-290 but a run 20:44 Due to same factors as above.
back run 290-300 but into wind and sight hill do 20:25
then 300 watts 20:21 due to same factors.

mission accomplished time doesn't matter or else I would have gone 260 watts, 275 watts 305 watts 310 watts not a great training effort it I had gone but time/pace. Just like biking on the trainer or outside with a better pacing strategy.

Plus just power on the screen for me is preferred.

Hill pacing is a big deal to. Have done some work with clients getting them to hold back on a 500 m climb 20% that leads to a faster position the next 500 m ahead then normal pacing.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [reedsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to get form power in the high 60s. I brought my cadence up and now I'm in the high 50s. It's been a slow process.

I don't know if that number is meaningful or not but the runs feel easier. I've been working on it since early October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
sryke wrote:

That is really interesting. Are you running the most up to date firmware out of curiosity?

Yes, however, we haven't had real gusty conditions in a long time. According to Stryd's support forum people were still experiencing this in August 2018. Stryd said they were trying to approach this via a firmware update in 2-3 months time.

This is how it looks like, only the uphill climb was hit by wind. I guess this can be tied to the barometer.

The same run a few days earlier without any wind.

Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
AWESOME!!!
e.g. I go do a 20 km out and back goal of run
5 km in 22 min ( power 270-280)
5 km in 21 min ( 280-290)
5 km in 20 min ( 290-300)
5 km sub 20 min ( just over 300 )

19:25 avg pwr 315W for me, so this yours is supercomparable to mine
Stryd rocks!
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I post this every time this gets asked (which seems to be every few weeks). I've had 2, the first was just ok, it was as accurate and precise as a Garmin pod, I found the power metric of no use so I sold it.

Got sucked back in by the kool aid hype, second one I got was garbage. 7% under read as calibrated on a university's lab treadmill and both a certified outdoor and an indoor track. Treadmill values in particular were meaningless.

Customer service was useless and repeatedly said it must be my mistake as the product is infallible. It now lives in a drawer and I use the charger for other devices.

If you would like some kind of aid for pacing for those windless, hilly routes in favourable temperatures, you get a good one and have no concept of your own RPE then stryd may be of use. Otherwise I'd save your $$$.
Last edited by: hutchy_belfast: Dec 1, 18 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve owned one for about 8 months now and only use it to connect to Zwift running at this point. If you’re interested in accuracy then skip it but if you just want to make the treadmill more fun get the live version for half the regular one or find a used one probably from one of the posters above that keeps his in the drawer. It’s good enough for that but to train with power it’s useless as are any running power meters at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [sryke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sryke wrote:

So its like heart rate except not accurate?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryde foot pod users - your thoughts? [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the light version Stryd live. That means no power data, only pace, distance, cadence. I keep it on the shoe all the time. Battery is good. I run about 4 hours a week and I dont remember the last time I charged, probably a couple of weeks ago. Mine is extremely consistent on every treadmill without calibration. Pace is a little below the prescribed treadmill speed but consistent. Speed outside is also much more "reactive" compered to gps speed.
Quote Reply