Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon wheel questions
Quote | Reply
Short version:

1) Is it normal for alloy nipples to start breaking after a certian age on carbon wheels?

2) what is a fair price to have a set of wheels rebuilt at a LBS?

Long version: I've got a set of Chinese carbon wheels from one of the better reputed brands that I have been very happy with for 2.5 years, except in the last 3 months, 4 nipples have spontaneously broken. 1 on a ride, 3 while the wheel was stored.

Is this just a normal thing with age? These are alloy nipples that are breaking. Not overtensioned, yet just popping.

I have a truing stand and have replaced the first few, but if I have the entire wheel rebuilt, I'd like a pro to do it, but I have no Idea what is considered fair for the labor. I called one LBS, and the quote was more than a whole new wheel would be...

Any input would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel questions [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't use alloy nipples unless you intend to service them properly.
Carbon rims and alloy nipples is the worst combination.
You need to lube them regularly, make sure you rinse down the bike after a wet ride in coastal areas and relube them.
If looked after, alloy nipples are fine, if you just ride the thing and only do something to the wheels when they go out of true then they will fail for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alloy nipples are used for weight saving, the disadvantage is they WILL corrode, and they go pretty fast if you don't take care of them. Most serious wheelbuilders use brass. it isn't 'wrong' to use alloy, just that you should know what you're getting.

A total wheel rebuild would run me about ~$100, not counting the cost of spokes and nipples. Call it ~$150-180 and it sounds about right. Most shops have lost the skill to build a good wheel, however, make sure you find someone who knows what they're doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not just carbon, the stock wheels on my last bike did the same thing. Only happened during rides for me, and it was only the front wheel. Had both rebuilt with brass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes a true alloy nipple isn't really intended for a day-to-day wheel. I am actually surprised you got a pre built wheel that came with them.

You may have better luck with a name brand alloy nipple or just swap to brass. My wheel guy charged me 60$ to put a powertap in a wheel off a new Madone and this price included cutting the existing DT spokes.

If you continue to have problem remember that cheap spokes and nipples are just that,.... Cheap. Life is too short to fiddle with poor quality spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel questions [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious of the statement about alloy nipples not intended for day to day use. RRuff built me a few sets of Kinlin hoops. I bet one wheel has 25,000 miles on it and its never been trued. Other set is on my wife"s bike probably 15,000 miles. Maybe i was lucky.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel questions [Piche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input all!

I'm gonna swap for brass nipples as I am shit for periodic maintenance as alloy apparently requires.

lbs wanted almost 300 to rebuild the wheel. Glad to find that isn't the norm. Will shop around more.

ST knowledge pool for the win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wheelbuilder charges me $35 per wheel, but he does hundreds for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel questions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nipples do not break with age but they can sag... I don't think lubing them up really helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel questions [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
Nipples do not break with age but they can sag... I don't think lubing them up really helps.
aluminium-carbon is a galvanic cell. It will corrode.
Lube or some sort of coating will help but not if it is penetrated.

Aluminium nipples in aluminium rims is fine as long as you don’t overstress them.
Quote Reply