Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High Tibial Osteotomy
Quote | Reply
Hey folks: I've been out of commission for the better part of the year, unable to run due to meniscus issues and post meniscectomy surgery in June.

To cut a long story short, between losing more meniscus, some arthritis impacts on the knee and a bit of bowleggeness, I'm told that if I keep running with things as they are, I'll be looking at a knee replacement, which I'm told will end any chance of running.

I've been presented with the possibility of doing a High Tibial Osteotomy as a means to extend my running career. There are no studies I can find out there that report on the success rate of this for high functioning athletes who want to return to a competitive level.

But I've read some accounts here of other triathletes who have had either this procedure, or the similar femoral procedure done, with some evidence of successful return to competition.

Since latest of those posts dates from 2013, I'm reaching out to see if there is current experience out there from folks who have had either this procedure or the femoral one, and what their experience is in terms of returning to competitive form.

I age up in 2020 and would like to take another run at Kona while I'm the (relatively) young guy in the AG. But this surgery looks daunting. At the same time, I don't want to just do Aqua/Bike. I don't want to be done.

My knee guys are at the Steadman Phillipon Clinic in Vail, so the best in the world. The knee guy I'm seeing is internationally known and says he has done the procedure on lots of guys my age (63) with a high rate of success.

If there are any of you who have had this procedure or the femoral procedure that is similar, I'd love to hear about your experience and post-op return to competition.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: High Tibial Osteotomy [wylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I’m 12 months post my second leg, both have been done 12 months apart.
Basically I was 6 weeks in a brace non weight bearing, next 6 gradual increase in weight. I was off work for 12 weeks, back in the pool about 7 weeks and bike trainer at 10 . I’m 53 and the amount of muscle and strength loss was pretty bad and remembering I had to line up 12 months later.
Prior to surgery I had pretty constant pain and it was gone right away.
Because I had two legs I didn’t run for about 2 and half years, I did water run though.
I still have my plates in and am having them removed next year, yes I feel them and bumping them is painful. I am holding off their removal as I am just beginning to get some fitness back. This time last year I returned to bike racing( which I have been pretty competitive in for 30 years) and started back in d grade and struggled and just this week raced b grade and was comfortable at an average speed of over 41km .
It’s a long hall back more so for me with both legs as I said I feel one plate whilst running and the other when pushing hard on the bike
Running is tough after such a long break, I was quite competitive a couple years before my operation went to Itu worlds and placed or won my age group ( I’m in Australia). I used to race long and I’M but won’t consider that now , sprint distance is enough as I want to keep my knees happy and after all the time with rehab don’t want to waste it, but each person is different. Aqua bike worlds is now a target
Hope this gives you a idea what can be a head
Quote Reply
Re: High Tibial Osteotomy [wylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a TTO surgery in October of 2016, along with an ACL repair. They were separate injuries, but to the same leg. I started back into racing in the summer of 2017 with sprints. Last summer I geared towards AG Nationals, where I was 6th in 45-49AG....and finished up the season with a half ironman. Next season, I'm racing IMLP (along with a few half IMs). So, the moral of the story is that, yes, you can get back. I'm not going to lie, I went into the surgery in decent shape, and worked pretty hard to get back. I have no aspirations of racing long course moving forward (after next season)...but wanted to prove I could come back from this and race at a high level. I've actually been documenting things at http://www.pat-dwyer.com (if interested). I'm also raising money for this one....thus the website! But, feel free to reach out directly with any questions. Happy to answer.

Pat

Pat Dwyer
@pdwyer99
Quote Reply