Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Group Rides - use a support car?? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I should say "sagging" the ride as a driver is stressful as hell. Always paying attention to cars behind, making sure your not holding up traffic, etc. I think the most stressful part is when you know the road is clear and the 1 car behind you just sits there, and you know your pissing them off; you can wave them through and it's like they don't understand what's going on. My guys always laugh at the end, it looks like I exerted more energy on the 3 hour ride then they did.

I agree - it’s very challenging for the driver. I’ve driven sag for my local team’s Califronia coast tour, as well as for Epic 5 and Ultraman a number of times. In those situations, you cannot impede traffic (by event rule), so it’s a lot of leapfrogging, but only when safe to do so. In Ultraman - specifically if you’re crewing for riders the caliber of Tim Sheeper or Rob Gray - you also have to pick your hand-off points carefully, as the flats are super challenging and downhills near impossible. There also isn’t always a spot where you can safely pull completely off the road and leave room the rider(s) when there’s traffic.

Ian
Quote Reply

Prev Next