Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have S-Works TT helmet: scared to wear it..
Quote | Reply
For fear of looking like 'that guy'... how fast/strong does one need to be to justify wearing (this) aero helmet?
Last edited by: Pmswanepoel: Nov 29, 18 5:47
Quote Reply
Re: Have S-Works TT helmet: scared to wear it.. [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
For fear of looking like 'that guy'... how fast/strong does one need to be to justify wearing (this) aero helmet?

2 or 3 years ago it was considered "top perf", and difficult to find. Rare.
Now, there is more than 3 or 4 other models, with equivalent or better perf, and easy to find.

Whatever your speed, nobody will notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously? I've rocked disc and 90 front at the beach and I've done intervals around my neighborhood in full Time Trial kit (helmet, speed suit, race wheels). Basically, I could care less what others think.

Now, I am assuming you mean in a race and not out training. Which if you're doing it right then you should not be leaving anything on the table regardless if it makes you feel like "that guy".

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:

Why did you buy it if you don't want to wear it?
It's to make you faster. If you want to go faster, wear it. If you're overly worried about appearances, you're in the wrong sport. Most people think everyone in lycra looks like an idiot anyway. Other athletes know what the helmet is for.
By the way, what's the difference between looking like "that guy" and being "that guy"? Maybe you are "that guy"!

But basically, get a grip and stop being "scared" of what other people think. That's ridiculous.
If you want to wear it, wear it.

Having said that, I wouldn't wear a TT helmet for training except to test it and/or get used to it. A normal road helmet will be safer and more comfortable for your routine rides.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Nov 29, 18 6:15
Quote Reply
Re: Have S-Works TT helmet: scared to wear it.. [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the kick up the arse I needed -thanks! haha... I'm a fool..

Ai_1 wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:

It's to make you faster. If you want to go faster, wear it. If you're overly worried about appearances, you're in the wrong sport. Most people think everyone in lycra looks like an idiot anyway. Other athletes know what the helmet is for.
By the way, what's the difference between looking like "that guy" and being "that guy"? Maybe you are "that guy"!

But basically, get a grip and stop being "scared" of what other people think. That's ridiculous.

Having said that, I wouldn't wear a TT helmet for training except to test it and/or get used to it. A normal road helmet will be safer and more comfortable for your routine rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:

super strong.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For racing, not training

Pmswanepoel wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
This is the kick up the arse I needed -thanks! haha... I'm a fool..

Ai_1 wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:

You're welcome ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
honestly nobody else will care. I doubt they'll give a second look. I wear my aero helmet in races and at least a few times during training to make sure there are no issues. Most of the time I wear my road bike helmet during training as it's more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear what you want when you want and how you want. Who cares what somebody else thinks?

That said, I don't wear my skin suit or TT helmet unless racing. I only use my race wheels for a couple of short rides before a race to make sure everything's ready to race. But that's just me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wear it.
During the summer I need to ride through town to get to my local tt.
Aero helmet, skinsuit aero Calf guards and overshoes. Plus a dinky back pack for my phone and keys. I know how stupid I look. I'm more concerned about my tyres and avoiding flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:

If you are ashamed of how you look, ride as fast as you can, so no one can take a closer look of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all -this Sunday I will be 'that (fast) guy' :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:

It's not about how fast you are. It's about how much committed you are.
Last edited by: elquike: Nov 29, 18 23:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being that guy isn't so bad as its a very small proportion of the population who even notices.

I commute to work on a Brompton folding bike but my helmet of choice is a Kask Infinity aero helmet. I needed to replace the rear light I attached to my helmet a few weeks ago and as I was given a gift card to a random LBS for my birthday I went in to have a look. Standard helmet light mounts require big vents so I knew they wouldn't work on an aero helmet. Two different employees literally could not understand why anyone who wasn't a pro racing a TT would wear an aero helmet and refused to make any suggestions other than to ride with a different helmet. One went as far as suggesting it was better to commute without a helmet than to commute with an aero helmet (keeping in mind the Infinity is NOT a TT helmet). At the same time my wife (and 99% of rest of the public) had no idea WTF we were on about as its just a piece of foam with a plastic shell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my Rudy project training. It's one of the most comfortable helmets I've ever worn.
Quote Reply
Re: Have S-Works TT helmet: scared to wear it.. [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The infinity seems like an eminently appropriate commuting helmet.
It may be aero, but more importantly it's got variable ventilation which is great when the weather changes. I use a Lazer Genesis when on the road bike or not racing and I have an aero shell for it which is just a piece of vac formed acrylic that clips on and looks like an unvented version of the helmet. I don't use it for it's aerodynamic properties, I use it to make the helmet warmer in winter and drier in the rain! It works great.
The Infinity seems even better since you can tweak it on the fly.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Nov 30, 18 3:42
Quote Reply