Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
I also stopped checking in early for Southwest and now try and get an early C ticket. I then choose the middle seat between the two most appealing people. I think because I’m smaller bigger people chose me to sit next to.

Smart.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
My biggest beef with flying is that in all my travels, I've never sat beside an attractive girl.

You would think the odds eventually work in my favor. I see them in the departure lounge and hope they will be beside me but never.

I swear the fix is in but I just can't figure out who is out to get me.

I thought I had used up all my karma when I got sat next to a very cute girl on an overnight to Europe in college. I was having a hard time staying asleep in my seat, waking up every 30 minutes or so, until I woke up once and realized I had been asleep for a long time. Turns out she had laid her legs across my lap and was sleeping on my chest while I was asleep resting against her head. Best sleep on a plane I ever got.

Got separated from the wife on a flight back West from Florida earlier this year and was afraid I was going to end up in a bad situation as I had the middle seat. Got lucky and ended up next to a skinny girl. I guess the flight gods just smile on me. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

I thought I had used up all my karma when I got sat next to a very cute girl on an overnight to Europe in college. I was having a hard time staying asleep in my seat, waking up every 30 minutes or so, until I woke up once and realized I had been asleep for a long time. Turns out she had laid her legs across my lap and was sleeping on my chest while I was asleep resting against her head. Best sleep on a plane I ever got. :)

When I was in my 20s I had a 50yoish guy try this with me in the double seats they had on the top deck of the 747s on the way to Japan.

My karma is clearly not as good as yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's Southwest's "Customer of Size" policy:

https://www.southwest.com/...seat_policy_faq.html

Basically, Southwest asks that their "Customers of Size" buy two seats and the cost of the second seat will be refunded after the flight.

I just skimmed the policy so I may have missed it, but missing from the policy is any firm requirement that the person purchase two seats or face the consequences. Rather, the permissive "may" is used as to buying two seats. Then, the only mention of making someone move in the event that the person can't fit into their seat is the vague, "In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation."

1. Who're the "Customers" to be asked? The large person or the people who've been displaced?

2. The use of "relinquish" sure sounds like it would be the displaced people, not the person who's causing the problem.

3. What's an "accommodation" and who's to make it? Does the large person need to leave or does the person who's been displaced? Again, the use of "relinquish" makes me think the displaced people would be asked to accommodate the large one. What happens when the flight is full and there are zero empty seats for the displaced people?

4. The last sentence of the first paragraph basically says, "if you don't want to buy an extra seat then please see a gate agent to discuss your seating needs. If it's determined that more than one seat is required then you will be accommodated with a complimentary seat." It doesn't say, "accommodated with a complimentary seat on the same flight", so I'd argue that what the policy really does is incentivizes a large person buying one seat and just sitting down on the plane. In that event, the policy really just punts to the flight/cabin crews and gate agents, and, when confronted by a large person with one ticket but two seats, puts them in the position to make the peace and places them at risk of confrontation, particularly when the flight/cabin crew is forced to ask the displaced people to accommodate the large one by getting on a later flight.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:

I thought I had used up all my karma when I got sat next to a very cute girl on an overnight to Europe in college. I was having a hard time staying asleep in my seat, waking up every 30 minutes or so, until I woke up once and realized I had been asleep for a long time. Turns out she had laid her legs across my lap and was sleeping on my chest while I was asleep resting against her head. Best sleep on a plane I ever got. :)

When I was in my 20s I had a 50yoish guy try this with me in the double seats they had on the top deck of the 747s on the way to Japan.

My karma is clearly not as good as yours.

I don't fly often (why leave the best side of the country?) so I must store up all my flight karma for when I need it.
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to book seat 1B. Never have an issue.

Also get to be the 1'st off the plane except when we get off the plane from the 2'nd door.
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had status on Star Alliance I used to go to the gate agent after check in was closed to see if I had the best possible seat for my flight. This often helped me entire rows to myself for trans Atlantic flights. One time I had the four middle seats for a flight from Toronto to Frankfurt and a super weird guy came to me and asked if he lie down on my seats for the flight. Obviously I told him no. He tried to sell it as what a nice evening we could spend together. When I kept saying no, he asked if I spoke English and if i fully understood what he was asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
My biggest beef with flying is that in all my travels, I've never sat beside an attractive girl.

You would think the odds eventually work in my favor. I see them in the departure lounge and hope they will be beside me but never.

I swear the fix is in but I just can't figure out who is out to get me.

I thought I had used up all my karma when I got sat next to a very cute girl on an overnight to Europe in college. I was having a hard time staying asleep in my seat, waking up every 30 minutes or so, until I woke up once and realized I had been asleep for a long time. Turns out she had laid her legs across my lap and was sleeping on my chest while I was asleep resting against her head. Best sleep on a plane I ever got.

Got separated from the wife on a flight back West from Florida earlier this year and was afraid I was going to end up in a bad situation as I had the middle seat. Got lucky and ended up next to a skinny girl. I guess the flight gods just smile on me. :)

I knew a girl who's sexual fantasy (one of them, at least) was to give a complete stranger, preferably an older man, a handjob on an overnight flight. No talking. No romance. Just a handjob. She was 20 at the time.

I hope some lucky guy out there got to meet her on a flight at some point!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
[

I knew a girl who's sexual fantasy (one of them, at least) was to give a complete stranger, preferably an older man, a handjob on an overnight flight. No talking. No romance. Just a handjob. She was 20 at the time.

As a matter of fact...no, never mind.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
[

As a matter of fact...no, never mind.

LOL. Were you going to/from San Diego by any chance??

Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
JSA wrote:
ACE wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
I’m a pretty small female- I fly a fair deal and I’ve had seatbelt extender passengers next to me a few times. They have all been nice. It’s hard for everyone- but I will take them over an obviously sick seatmate. They are the worst IMO. Although I really hate being in physical contact with strangers.

I also stopped checking in early for Southwest and now try and get an early C ticket. I then choose the middle seat between the two most appealing people. I think because I’m smaller bigger people chose me to sit next to. My husband is 6’5” and laughs at how often a big person chose to sit next to me.

I am the guy quietly praying the small person coming down the aisle on the SW flight picks to sit in the middle seat on my row. I might even make a little eye contact and wink at you display the seat as a wonderful option.

When the large person looks at the middle seat on my row I give them the stink eye and hope they keep walking.

Ditto.

Eye contact and a smile might be better than winking. A strange guy winking at me might get put in the same category as an active cougher for me.

Ha! Yeah, I did not mean the winking part ...

I fly Southwest a lot b/c they are the only airline with non-stop flights to a lot of my client destinations. About a year ago, I boarded earlier. A guy was in the aisle seat of row 1. Jumped in the window seat. Neither of us are/were overweight, but, we were both around 6' 2", 220, broad shoulders. We left the middle seat open. The plane not full. About halfway through boarding, this guy in his 30s, about 6', 250, heavy, stops and looks at the middle seat in our row. Both me and the other guy mean-mug him. No effect. He pushes in a sits down. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why. First, there still plenty of aisle/window seat available, as boarding was only about halfway finished. Second, it was pretty clear this was not going to be a completely full flight.

Turned out to be quite uncomfortable for all 3 of us for no reason.

Maybe because that fat fuck couldn't stand the thought of having to walk further down the aisle to find a more comfortable/appropriate seat?

Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Here's Southwest's "Customer of Size" policy:

https://www.southwest.com/...seat_policy_faq.html

Basically, Southwest asks that their "Customers of Size" buy two seats and the cost of the second seat will be refunded after the flight.

"In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation."

Customers applies to everyone. Covers avoiding to have the normal person not be able to use their planned seat (i.e. move), and also avoids asking the large person to move.

But note that their policy does explicitly say that weight is not used to determine "customer of size", but "ability to lower the armrests as the gauge". Being wider than the armrests is easy these days, maybe even layer up with large puffy jacket to further meet that criteria. So you can essentially use the policy to purchase a second seat, then get that refunded after the flight. Sweet deal for those that like their space :)

Maybe the next person flying SW can test this out and report back?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on a commuter flight out of Norfolk, VA. The flight attendants thought they were miscounting the number of passengers. When they spoke with the ground crew they realized that the large gentleman on the flight had booked two seats.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Last edited by: Billabong: Nov 28, 18 15:15
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why.

Because he had a thing for big dudes.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That's really strange, it's the same fantasy I have but I'm on the receiving end.
Quote Reply
Re: Has this ever happened to you on an airplane flight? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
I was on a commuter flight out of Norfolk, VA. The flight attendants thought they were miscounting the number of passengers. When they spoke with the ground crew they realized that the large gentleman on the flight had booked two seats.

Nothing wrong with that. Thing is if a family of 3 books 3 assigned seats and the flight is overbooked they will take the 3rd seat if someone stays behind (yes this happened to me). If one individual books 2 seats will they force that person to give one up no matter how rotund?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many times but thankfully no extreme examples come to mind.

I'm 6'1 175 ish so not huge but I do have fairly broad shoulders. Prefer aile seats and travel roughly 2-3x per month.

Here is my first world travel gripe- the size of female flight attendants are occassionally large (the occassions seem to be increasing) specifically on the b side. When you combine an aile seat, broad shoulders, and a bunch of junk in the trunk doing random drive bys you are often getting ass checked. When combined with a larger passenger next to you those ass checks increase a good deal.

I fully acknowledge that out of the 3 factors (aile seat, shoulders, big butts) that I can control one of them and commit to a window seat and boom- no more ass checks.

Just can't let them win.

Stay vigilant travelers of the LR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two things:

I recall flying from Denver to Cabo years ago in steerage on United (aka Greyhound) and had a guy who was easily 300lbs and in a full suit and tie sitting in the seat next to me - or as much of it as he could fit in. He literally spilled over and I had a good portion of one of his arms, his upper chest, and stomach as a blanket over my right side, all the way to Cabo. At least he wasn't flatulent...

...like the big heavy and obviously sloppy drunk German dude I saw knocking back beers in the lounge before my flight from Frankfurt to Washington. Of course, I had to be a jackass and joke to a traveling buddy, "I'd hate to be whoever's sitting next to that guy." Yeah, it was me. And the guy farted and burped. The. Whole. Flight. I wasn't sure what was worse the belching or the farting. This was before the days of cutting people off who were obviously inebriated.
Quote Reply

Prev Next