Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ant+ connection in/out during Zwift - Thoughts?
Quote | Reply
I have been experiencing some ANT+ connection drops during my Zwift training rides. I have followed the guidance that Zwift calls out (which is really good), and it has improved some, but I'm still fighting the connection. Just seeing if anyone else on the ST forum has run into this issue and what you have done to right this.

Like I mentioned, I have followed the 9 corrections that Zwift calls out, but still the HR, Watts, and cadence fall out.

I'm running Zwift using a Mac Mini(updated w/ latest iOS system), 6ft USB extension cord(plugged directly into the back of Mac Mini), Garmin ANT+ USB stick, Quarq D-Zero for power, fan on opposite side of room to reduce/remove the potential for an electromagnetic field interference. Batteries in Quarq and Garmin HR are new.
Quote Reply
Re: Ant+ connection in/out during Zwift - Thoughts? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your usb cable might be junky. Try a different one.

This isn't your same issue, but I've got a problem where my Garmin Fenix wrist HR won't transmit to the Ant dongle if my arm/wrist/hand is blocking it's line-of-sight. I think the Fenix 5 is known to have a poor Ant antenna positioning and the metal casing doesn't help.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of ideas here from Shane Miller:

Also talks about Wireless interference in this vid:

https://youtu.be/AwX1HkuSrY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Nov 27, 18 14:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had zero dropout since getting the extension cable and running it to just next to my rear wheel (Powertap PM embedded in it). I'd say there is an issue with the cable or the ant stick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a couple of years of flawless Zwifting I started to experience mysterious dropouts earlier this fall. Isolated it to the ANT+ dongle being temperamental. Replaced it with a new specimen and all is good now.

I tried:
- different USB port on computer
- other USB extension cord
- no extension cord

All these gave the same result (with on the upside the fact that I know now that in my current setup I don't really need an extension cable). Finally I borrowed a friend's dongle and that fixed it. Got a new one and no problems since (without the extension cord)

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Ant+ connection in/out during Zwift - Thoughts? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dropouts have been an ongoing problem as long as Zwift has been around. I've tried a couple ANT+ sticks (including their recommendation), plus the extension cord. Still happens.

I'm pretty sure this is at least partially a software problem with Zwift, but they don't seem to know what to do about it. a) This problem doesn't happen in other apps using the same ANT+ stick (e.g. PerfPro Studio), and b) I have never heard of this happening when Zwift is in bluetooth mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best signal I get is using one of those Tacx antennas. I’ve tested a regular usb exension with the ant chip vs the Tacx on zwiftalizer and I get way less drop outs with the Tacx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure if this was mentioned int he vid, but interference with spinning fans is a thing. Once I did an extension out of the line of sight of metal fans did I kill the drop outs
Quote Reply
Re: Ant+ connection in/out during Zwift - Thoughts? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Truly appreciate all the input and feedback here with respect to your experience with ANT+ and Zwift. Funny enough, and given that I use a Quarq D-Zero w/Bluetooth, that seems to always work as well. Sadly, I don't have a BT HR monitor, so ANT+ it is. I've read and hear that the 4iiii HR works really well. That could be a good answer too. Thoughts on the 4iiii?

Just purchased this USB Cable for cheap, worth the try.

Thanks for providing the link to the video about troubleshooting as well. Sounds like it might be time for a new ANT+ stick as well.

See you all in Watopia and Ride On!
Quote Reply
Re: Ant+ connection in/out during Zwift - Thoughts? [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this video. Mr. Miller seems to have some great insight into the workings and world of Zwifting.

nbrowne1 wrote:
Lots of ideas here from Shane Miller:

Also talks about Wireless interference in this vid:

https://youtu.be/AwX1HkuSrY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
Last edited by: XX29er: Nov 27, 18 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had dropout issues for more than a year. Finally figured out it was the USB power settings. See this article for assistance. https://support.zwift.com/...g-running--SktF2_orX

Haven't seen a dropout in 2 months since I used this fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 4iiii. It works great. The strap is comfortable too. I like it better than my Garmin HR strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was zwifting reliably for more than a year, took the summer off and came back to lots of dropouts. Nothing about my setup changed but the version of Zwift (and some windows updates). As others have suggested, a new USB cable solved it. I was previously getting away with using a 9 foot cable but new one is only 6 feet. So either my cable spontaneously died (is that really a thing?), or the program change made my longer-than-recommended cable no longer workable.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ant+ connection in/out during Zwift - Thoughts? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input here. Just wonder as I was looking over the strap, I noticed that the connection buttons for the strap are very similar to the Garmin. Just wondering if you can use the 4iiii HR monitor on a Garmin strap. I really like the feel of the Garmin strap as I've been using it for years now. This would then allow me to use the BT connection and eliminate ANT+ all together.

Anyone here running this combo?

JoelO wrote:
I have the 4iiii. It works great. The strap is comfortable too. I like it better than my Garmin HR strap.
Quote Reply
Re: Ant+ connection in/out during Zwift - Thoughts? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I was zwifting reliably for more than a year, took the summer off and came back to lots of dropouts. Nothing about my setup changed but the version of Zwift (and some windows updates). As others have suggested, a new USB cable solved it. I was previously getting away with using a 9 foot cable but new one is only 6 feet. So either my cable spontaneously died (is that really a thing?), or the program change made my longer-than-recommended cable no longer workable.

Well, I think what really happens is the ports and connections get dusty and dirty over time. Then your connection isn't as strong or as consistent. That's far more likely than the cable wires themselves degrading. Replacing or cleaning the cable tips is half the solution. The other half is cleaning out your usb ports as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ant+ connection in/out during Zwift - Thoughts? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

Well, I think what really happens is the ports and connections get dusty and dirty over time. Then your connection isn't as strong or as consistent. That's far more likely than the cable wires themselves degrading. Replacing or cleaning the cable tips is half the solution. The other half is cleaning out your usb ports as well.

OK, I'm intrigued. How does one do this?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this problem and it ended up being my computer, even changing the USB power settings the USB ports were shutting off the power to the ANT+ dongle on a consistent cycle. I switched to a different laptop and haven't had a dropout since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
XX29er wrote:
I have been experiencing some ANT+ connection drops during my Zwift training rides. I have followed the guidance that Zwift calls out (which is really good), and it has improved some, but I'm still fighting the connection. Just seeing if anyone else on the ST forum has run into this issue and what you have done to right this.
Like I mentioned, I have followed the 9 corrections that Zwift calls out, but still the HR, Watts, and cadence fall out.

I'm running Zwift using a Mac Mini(updated w/ latest iOS system), 6ft USB extension cord(plugged directly into the back of Mac Mini), Garmin ANT+ USB stick, Quarq D-Zero for power, fan on opposite side of room to reduce/remove the potential for an electromagnetic field interference. Batteries in Quarq and Garmin HR are new.

Thought I would share my corrections and findings -
1. Moved fan further away and off to the side...
- Before, fan was placed between my bike and the ANT+ stick potentially causing my drops during the rides
2. Purchased new 6ft long 3.0 USB cable
- Was able to bring the Garmin ANT+ plug closer to the bike to reduce any potential drops

I have done three rides since, NO MORE DROPS...thanks to everyone for sharing your input...
Quote Reply