Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rivian R1T Electric Truck- Tesla competition? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been watching this for a year now. I think this could be my next vehicle if they get it to market. I drive a 2018 Chevy Volt as my commuter which I absolutely love (note to Chevy - WTF guys, the Volt is an awesome car, why did you kill it?). With the ICE backup, I never have to worry about range, but I drive mostly electric given my commute distance. For weekends, I have an old Nissan Nismo Frontier Crew Cab with a 5 foot bed that I beat the hell out of. I throw everything in it and take it everywhere including some heavy off-road.

The Rivian could become my daily driver and my weekend get away truck, but I worry I might not want to take it off-road after dropping $60K on it. Also, I don't think there is any data looking at EVs and off-road performance. Can the battery systems hold up under off-road conditions?
Quote Reply
Re: Rivian R1T Electric Truck- Tesla competition? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like James Bond is going to be driving an electric Aston Martin.
Quote Reply
Re: Rivian R1T Electric Truck- Tesla competition? [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
I've been watching this for a year now. I think this could be my next vehicle if they get it to market. I drive a 2018 Chevy Volt as my commuter which I absolutely love (note to Chevy - WTF guys, the Volt is an awesome car, why did you kill it?). With the ICE backup, I never have to worry about range, but I drive mostly electric given my commute distance. For weekends, I have an old Nissan Nismo Frontier Crew Cab with a 5 foot bed that I beat the hell out of. I throw everything in it and take it everywhere including some heavy off-road.

The Rivian could become my daily driver and my weekend get away truck, but I worry I might not want to take it off-road after dropping $60K on it. Also, I don't think there is any data looking at EVs and off-road performance. Can the battery systems hold up under off-road conditions?

Rarely electronics and off road are a good mix. But they are starting to build electric dirt bikes so who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Rivian R1T Electric Truck- Tesla competition? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:

Rarely electronics and off road are a good mix. But they are starting to build electric dirt bikes so who knows.

I think you're going to see a big change soon, especially with dirt bikes. As racing expands, so will the technology. Dirt bikes could see some real growth because electric dirt bike tracks could be built within city limits or areas sensitive to noise. Dual suspension electric bikes have some incredible capability now and can be ridden nearly anywhere.

Electric vehicles also have some significant advantages as well. Greater torque and better balance really could enhance off road performance. You could also have independent traction control that is pretty much instantaneous.
Quote Reply
Re: Rivian R1T Electric Truck- Tesla competition? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
getcereal wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:

I think you're going to see a big change soon, especially with dirt bikes. As racing expands, so will the technology. Dirt bikes could see some real growth because electric dirt bike tracks could be built within city limits or areas sensitive to noise. Dual suspension electric bikes have some incredible capability now and can be ridden nearly anywhere.

Electric vehicles also have some significant advantages as well. Greater torque and better balance really could enhance off road performance. You could also have independent traction control that is pretty much instantaneous.

All exciting stuff! I was riding my buddy's Specialized Levo (e-bike) a few weeks back, nothing but pure fun. I had to get off it after a short ride because if I rode it much longer I was afraid that i would go down and buy one right away. I am afraid if I had one I would get soft, I still like to grind the endless hills.
Quote Reply

Prev Next