Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Daytona 70.3 [Sullbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sullbk wrote:
The weather played a huge factor into the lack of spectators. By the time they started most people were finished by well over two hours and it poured rain until about an hour before they started. Everyone was wet and cold and ready to go home. I was a spectator with a 4hr drive to get home so we were not hanging around. It's also not as spectator friendly as you would think. We were way back from the oval and there were only a couple of spots to get close to an athlete on the run. Looking at the run map i thought we could find an athlete anywhere on the run but lots of sections were fenced off. Nothing to do with the race yesterday it's always that way. All you would have seen on the bike yesterday were the pros going by the finishing stretch and they were about 100yrds away from you.

Challenge was extremely unlucky to get crap weather for their inaugural event. At the same time, there are a number of posts on this thread talking about how neat the event was. But since ST is a microcosm of the tri-space, I take those comments with a grain of salt. From your perspective, do you think the race was a success and the majority of triathletes will be back next year? What kind of buzz was their among other spectators and the athletes you knew who participated?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 70.3 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a whole everyone seemed very happy with the event despite the shortened distance due to weather. I think the $200 entry (until 12/31) and the experience of racing on the track (I’m not even a NASCAR fan, and that was cool) will bring people back. There were a couple people I overheard whining about it being shortened, but far less than I expected when I heard the announcement. Like you said, anyone familiar with winter in Florida knows the odds of a storm day like that are slim to be a repeat.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 70.3 [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it holds and grows over the next several years, maybe they should try a Challenge Indy for a midwest equivalent?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possibly. I will say I did the last year they did Venice as well, and this was much better done
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came to spectate but left around 930 once it really started to come down.

From my spectators perspective, Challenge did as best they could with last minute decision. Only real issue I saw was some athletes making a right down pit lane going towards the finish line as apposed to continuing straight around the oval to exit the track. Was it poor course marking or someone just playing follow the leader? I don't know since i was all the way down near the finish. An athlete from the race the day before said the bike course out on the roads weren't marked well. Not sure how much truth is in that.

I think it's really unique and awesome experience that Challenge could build off of. The main announcer guy wasn't stationary in a booth but rather walking around with a mic and headphones in the infield talking which.I thought was cool in itself. The abnormal distance made it more interesting IMO. I know people are drawn to the 70.3 distance, but i think it changes the dynamics of a race. You could have a shorter swim, then athletes could ride the oval on the way out and on the way back in. By then, last athlete should be out of the water, on the bike, and completed their lap around the track making it clear for the first athlete to head back into the track. Then make the run whatever distance you want.

I had planned to register for the race after IMCanada, but a lingering back issue prevented me from committing to any race for the remainder of the year. I'm in for next year though. I hope that Challenge can gain some popularity for this one as it's an awesome experience for both the athlete and the spectator as well.

Can anyone comment on the clarify of the water? Was it gross or murky?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 70.3 [Tall_Coffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wurf raced as well, this is race how many this season? Looks like his tank got empty though, outbiked by Starky by almost 2,5 min in 60K and then faded hard on the run, 12 min slower than winner Heemeryck on a <13k run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was a success but i'm not sure a majority will be back. I think for many once you have done it, the novelty is gone. I was there with my husband and 4 more friends. 3 of them have been doing triathlons for over 15 yrs, two were 1 and 2 yr racers. They were all happy with the experience but won't rush to go back. My husband is new to racing so this was only my second time spectating, I have been racing tri's for almost 20 years. Even if the weather was nice i would have been disappointed with the spectating experience. I thought it would be easier to get closer to the run action. I did hear a few negative comments about how far back we were from the track. Maybe this can be changed in the future or maybe my expectations were too high. It would have been nice to be able to walk to the end of pit row to get closer to the action. The organization was good and the volunteers were great in those conditions. If someone were to ask me if they should go i would say yes. What i think would be great though would be to run the pro race like yesterday but do it on Saturday afternoon. You already have people there registering and checking in bikes. So overall a good experience but maybe a one and done for anyone more than a few hours away.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 70.3 [teetopkram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teetopkram wrote:
I did both the AG sprint and shortened half this weekend. For the Sprint bike we did two laps which included a loop around the track and an out and back on a road outside of the speedway but within the grounds (about 13.7-13.9 miles). For the shortened Half bike we did 1 loop of the track then 2 out and back loops on the city streets, returning into the speedway to transition (about 17.4-17.5 miles).

Shortening the swim and bike was disappointing but the right call. On the original course we would have had to go up and over an open, exposed bridge across the Halifax River 2x, that could have been dicey for some in the wind and rain that came through. As it was, many people were safely onto the run by the time it got somewhat nasty.

Gotta admit, racing inside the speedway was pretty dang cool.

I thought about racing the sprint and if the whole race was on the track I would have flown down in a heartbeat. 1 loop wasn't enough.

The "shortened" 70.3 for the pro's sounds like it was awesome. Too bad they didn't give the AG the same awesome course. (or at least what sounds awesome to me - but then I'm a NASCAR fan)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
It looked like they let spectators get closer to the pro race than they did the AG race. I had to drive home and was freezing after finishing. Had I known ahead of time, I would have planned on staying for the pro race though. Was an awesome experience. Starky gained even more points in my book. Heading out of T1 he’s sitting in a chair rooting on the AG athletes while other pros are in a staging room elsewhere. Its no wonder he’s a bit of a fan favorite. The lake was freezing for this Floridian. Was dizzy and had a headache in T1. Bike was fun, but really congested by the second out and back. Run was fast and pretty cool running down pit row. I’ll sign up for next year for sure! Hope Jake had fun TG. Had a bit of a laugh following your IG race to Daytona only to have and wait.

If you followed the insta story than you are probably aware that it was essentially an impromptu all-nighter for both me and Jake, albeit I didn't have to race. Since he showed up at my house and made me audible to his work Christmas party (his wife got sick) I figured it was only fair to keep him out as late as possible. After-all, who figures someone who has never met his co-workers would want to stay out late at a Christmas party... In the end, he said if he didn't have fun it would be his last race. I think he had fun and I was certainly impressed and give him the "suck it up award" given the level of debauchery the night before.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 70.3 [Sullbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although the venue and the time of year does not attract me in the least, I know a lot of people that were excited by it. Your point about the novelty wearing off is a good one, and it will be interesting to see if the race grows or starts to contract next year. I hope the race succeeds if only to provide some needed competition in the tri-space.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 70.3 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
teetopkram wrote:
I did both the AG sprint and shortened half this weekend. For the Sprint bike we did two laps which included a loop around the track and an out and back on a road outside of the speedway but within the grounds (about 13.7-13.9 miles). For the shortened Half bike we did 1 loop of the track then 2 out and back loops on the city streets, returning into the speedway to transition (about 17.4-17.5 miles).

Shortening the swim and bike was disappointing but the right call. On the original course we would have had to go up and over an open, exposed bridge across the Halifax River 2x, that could have been dicey for some in the wind and rain that came through. As it was, many people were safely onto the run by the time it got somewhat nasty.

Gotta admit, racing inside the speedway was pretty dang cool.

I thought about racing the sprint and if the whole race was on the track I would have flown down in a heartbeat. 1 loop wasn't enough.

The "shortened" 70.3 for the pro's sounds like it was awesome. Too bad they didn't give the AG the same awesome course. (or at least what sounds awesome to me - but then I'm a NASCAR fan)

I can’t speak for how many raced the sprint or Olympic distance, but there were too many people racing the middle distance to have the race on the track. It would have been a disaster. There really isn’t much flat ground on the track and it would be a cluster doing multiple laps.

The lake really wasn’t bad at all. Freezing cold but was cleaner than most bodies of water I’ve swam in the state.

The run really was spectator friendly with the exception of the pit row section where the grass was. Every other section of the run spectators could get right next to the athletes. People just gathered there because it was near the announcers and finish line. 200 yards in either direction and you could high five athletes
Last edited by: rjrankin: Dec 10, 18 18:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I liked it. We’ll be back. If nothing else to support Challenge and hope to have them grow their footprint. I thought it was well done on all fronts despite the crappy weather.

We went back to finish watching the pros but only to finish line where we were away from track. Finishing close/on the track might bring things together nicely - can be close to course and be at that natural gathering spot the finish line is.

Fast course so people like that right? That should help.

Novelty wearing off is true anywhere. Not unique to Daytona.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 70.3 [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AY Thanks for watching my IG stories!

It was a pretty sweet weekend at a very sweet venue.

Challenge made some amazing last min course changes due to weather. They started the AG right at 7am and had them off the bike just in time for the rain. Pros went at 12:45 and were spot on with the weather. Soon as the Pros made it on the bike, the sun came out with some wind but turned out to be a pretty sweet race to watch. Watching Starky, Wurf and Russell crush the bike was pretty cool. Potts ended up having a rear flat and didn't notice till after the race. bummer! Majority of the Pros mentioned to Zibi (Challenge CEO) to keep the same course for next year because it was simply an awesome. 15 laps with really no chance for drafting. Pretty cool how they can adjust the course and keep the Pro race inside the Daytona Speedway. No need for road closures or police. If the race was held at a different location, they most likely would of cancelled the whole thing.

Cant wait to race next year! Challenge Daytona 2019!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 70.3 [rudygt88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
l have done well over 200 triathlons. This was the neatest coolest venue l have ever raced in. Bummed about weather but there is nothing we can do about that. l have raced several challenge races including their only venture at full distance (Atlantic City 2014.) l agree about l think it would have been neat to ride around track on way out and then again on way back in. That would have made it the 20 miles they told us we were going to race. l and several of my friends had the bike course at 17-17.5 miles.
l am not a fan of self seeding on swim. l made the mistake and know better about not starting far enough up on swim. l was honest about my ability but it appeared lots of people were not. ( l swam 13 and change in race) l was swimming around people the whole way.
l liked the run course even though they always said 3.75 loops. Several people have complained about watching us run. They had more chances to see us than most half runs do. There were lots of fences and "off limits" areas in venue. That seemed a little confusing but as a NASCAR fan, l understand why they have them.
l have a few suggestions.

Swim warm up on Sat. And also let us ride around track even if for just a few minutes on Sat.
l really hated that the awards ceremony was 5 hours after l crossed the finish line. l had to leave and get home. Really would treasure a picture in victory lane. l thought they should have held it before the pro race.
l will plan to return and hopefully race the whole distance next year.
Look forward to hopefully going to Slovakia if finances allow.
Quote Reply

Prev Next