Prev Next
Re: Tubular help [Gashman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gashman wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
zedzded wrote:
RichardL wrote:
zedzded wrote:

This is written like you'd jump on a bike with taped wheels and go 5km/hr slower. I'm sure the CRR data out there shows tape is slower, but really how much are we talking?

7.5 watts per wheel at 6 bars or 87 psi. Unlike most of you beasts, I can't afford to give up 15 watts. Heck, it would take me a month or two of hard interval training just to gain 10-15 watts.

Done in a wind tunnel with a $20k bike, specific wheels, tyres, a pro cyclist wearing a speedsuit and $1000 aero helmet... I don't think the data they get translates well to real world. An experienced triathlete is going to feel a 15w difference. Ride a set of $20 tubs with tape on, butyl tubes and over inflate them. Are you really going to be losing 40, 50w...

Um, wrong.

https://www.velonews.com/...ing-resistance_12493

You're missing his point. The scientific data says X, Y and Z should be this much slower. Real world, people aren't experiencing that. Andy Potts is a great case in point:

2015 - 4.32 12th fastest bike
2016 - 4.35 - 14th fastest bike
2017 - 4.31 - 15th fastest

His best performance was on Gatorskins with butyl tubes...

That article wasn't scientific data. It was a guy doing roll down tests on two sets of wheels. In fact, the wheels with tubular tape were 404's and still rolled slower than the other set of more conventional training wheels.

Maybe if Potts didn't use such shitty tires and tubes he would have gone faster. This isn't rocket science and it's not voodoo, it's real. If you don't want to believe it, fine, go ahead and ride slower than you might otherwise.

BTW, Mark Allen rode a 4.29 bike split in 1993. See the times here. Maybe Potts would go faster if he the same bike that Mark Allen did in 1993.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular help [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Gashman wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
zedzded wrote:
RichardL wrote:
zedzded wrote:

This is written like you'd jump on a bike with taped wheels and go 5km/hr slower. I'm sure the CRR data out there shows tape is slower, but really how much are we talking?

7.5 watts per wheel at 6 bars or 87 psi. Unlike most of you beasts, I can't afford to give up 15 watts. Heck, it would take me a month or two of hard interval training just to gain 10-15 watts.

Done in a wind tunnel with a $20k bike, specific wheels, tyres, a pro cyclist wearing a speedsuit and $1000 aero helmet... I don't think the data they get translates well to real world. An experienced triathlete is going to feel a 15w difference. Ride a set of $20 tubs with tape on, butyl tubes and over inflate them. Are you really going to be losing 40, 50w...

Um, wrong.

https://www.velonews.com/...ing-resistance_12493

You're missing his point. The scientific data says X, Y and Z should be this much slower. Real world, people aren't experiencing that. Andy Potts is a great case in point:

2015 - 4.32 12th fastest bike
2016 - 4.35 - 14th fastest bike
2017 - 4.31 - 15th fastest

His best performance was on Gatorskins with butyl tubes...

That article wasn't scientific data. It was a guy doing roll down tests on two sets of wheels. In fact, the wheels with tubular tape were 404's and still rolled slower than the other set of more conventional training wheels.

Maybe if Potts didn't use such shitty tires and tubes he would have gone faster. This isn't rocket science and it's not voodoo, it's real. If you don't want to believe it, fine, go ahead and ride slower than you might otherwise.

BTW, Mark Allen rode a 4.29 bike split in 1993. See the times here. Maybe Potts would go faster if he the same bike that Mark Allen did in 1993.

All good. I'm not being a dick. It's a bit hard to argue against people who have done studies or scientists etc all I can go on is what I've experienced. I race on fast wheels, glued tubs because I've read they're faster and they are faster. But IMO just not as much as is implied, suggested or as people think. "Tape is much slower". So when I ride taped wheels for the first time and don't go any slower I can't not mention that to people when they shy away from tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular help [Cmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since we're still talking tubulars... does this look like a typical glue job? This tire was fine, but I wanted to start fresh with clean wheels and new tires and use this tire as a spare. Just like the rear tire it was a massive effort to remove it. I would've thought that the glue would've been more uniformly spread on the wheel?

Is it the nature of the beast that some glue stays on the wheel and some sticks to the tire, or was this a hack glue job?

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Tubular help [Cmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some glue does stick to the rim, and as long as it's not "dirty" then it's fine mostly (you don't want big clumps, that way when you add new layer of glue it's not uneven)

It looks like you've got base tape still stuck to the rim from that picture. You need to remove that.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular help [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I will clean it up completely and start fresh.
Quote Reply

Prev Next