Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Raise my FTP by 11% [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen some pretty good results doing around two Zwift races a week. Over the past 7-8 seasons my FTP has remained constant, and I haven't done a ton to try raising it. I kind of felt I had hit a ceiling and it was already pretty decent for a triathlete (4.5 w/kg). However, biking around 4 hours a week over the past two months with two races thrown in - sometimes as short as 20' and others over an hour - has seen my FTP raise by around 10 watts. Not a huge gain, but when you get a pretty good FTP it gets harder and harder to get higher. I'll continue what I'm doing in hopes of getting to the 4.7 w/kg range.

In the past I did the traditional 2x20' and some shorter VO2 Max stuff. However I was never doing longer intervals at 95% or more, which is the majority of the Zwift races I do. Yesterday was a 45' race at 4.4 w/kg. I definitely wouldn't have had the motivation to do those type of intervals on the trainer prior to Zwift.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Raise my FTP by 11% [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I've seen some pretty good results doing around two Zwift races a week. Over the past 7-8 seasons my FTP has remained constant, and I haven't done a ton to try raising it. I kind of felt I had hit a ceiling and it was already pretty decent for a triathlete (4.5 w/kg). However, biking around 4 hours a week over the past two months with two races thrown in - sometimes as short as 20' and others over an hour - has seen my FTP raise by around 10 watts. Not a huge gain, but when you get a pretty good FTP it gets harder and harder to get higher. I'll continue what I'm doing in hopes of getting to the 4.7 w/kg range.

In the past I did the traditional 2x20' and some shorter VO2 Max stuff. However I was never doing longer intervals at 95% or more, which is the majority of the Zwift races I do. Yesterday was a 45' race at 4.4 w/kg. I definitely wouldn't have had the motivation to do those type of intervals on the trainer prior to Zwift.
I've had the same experience. After being stuck for years at 4.7w/kg, I've hit an all-time high of 4.9 this season. No structured training, just zwift races 1-3 times a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Raise my FTP by 11% [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been doing 1-3 races / week for 2 years and have gotten close to all time highs across all durations on <50% of the volume i used to do

Huge believer in zwift races as a way to grow

Just think I need to change it up a bit to get faster.

Today I raced and hit 330 for 20 mins...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Usually it’s something like the below. I can usually do 2-3 weeks like this, and then make the next week recovery.

M - 60-70% FTP for an hour. Or easy spin if needed <== Lowest priority ; possible to time-shift this time to another day and help out the wife extra on monday? also give your wife a break as much as possible on recovery weeks.

T - 50 min zwift race. 30 mins spin on either side <== 50 minutes isn't much so maximize time with VO2 intervals instead. Make sure you don't have much left in the tank at the end. If you have another interval in you, then add intervals until you don't and then increase power of next workout. I do 4x4's but I'll do 5x4 or 6x4 if I can and then raise power for the next time with a goal of finding the maximum power I can sustain for four intervals, which is a good estimation of VO2 max..

W - rest and sleep in a bit

R - 60 min zwift race. 20 min spin <== Threshold intervals instead. First week 3x10 ==> 2x12 week 2 ==> 2x20 week 3 ==> rest week ==> repeat starting with 3x10 but with over-unders and possibly new FTP. If you struggle with any of these then your FTP is set too high. Also, same as with VO2, if you have another interval in you or are able to do more time then your FTP is too low. You want to just be able to complete workouts without burying yourself. Trial and error will show you the way. Let performance be your guide. Pay attention to the relationship between RPE and average work interval HR. If they diverge then is a sign of fatigue; especially when RPE is up but HR is down. Check data in Golden Cheetah and you will likely see suppressed (lower than normal HR) earlier on in the workout. Also pay attention to sleep quality, energy, appetite, mood, motivation and so on for signs of overdoing it.

F - easy day for about an hour <== Do laundry for the wife instead

Sat - 2 hour ride. Usually an interval workout or race for an hour <== Perform at fixed power at 70% FTP while watching TV. Check decoupling in Golden Cheetah. You want decoupling between 5-10%. If less than 5% then increase power next time. If higher than 10%, decrease duration next time. Keep a training log and pay attention to patterns over time for all these workouts and measures.

Sunday - rest or easy spin for an hour <== Help wife with kids instead. Take them hiking or fishing. No beer, though! For you, I mean, kids can have as much as they want.

Edit - Formatting.
Last edited by: fstrnu: Dec 4, 18 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Raise my FTP by 11% [fstrnu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Although your workouts are slightly different, the jist is the same as others. Race lets, focus on more quality workouts and increase total work each week.

Will report back in 2-3 weeks with another round of power updates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has Kevin Metcalf chimed in yet? 5 times 2x20 at sweetspot a week, with one outside long ride on Saturday. I've tried this, it works, but have never tried it when I was fit. Used it as a means to get back in shape after injury/kids etc.

Right now I'm semi-polarised. Here's an ideal week for me, and all the interval work is indoors with TR:
Monday - 2 hours easy
Tuesday- 4x8 mins all-out
Wednesay - 2 hours easy
Thursday - 8x4 mins all out
Friday - 2 hours easy
Saturday - Either 3 hours mixed group ride or 90 mins of sweetspot work (3x20)
Sunday - off

The problem is that the Saturday group ride always ends up being too hard. So I do better the following week with 90mins of trainer work. I average about 10 hours a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Raise my FTP by 11% [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
After being stuck for years at 4.7w/kg, I've hit an all-time high of 4.9 this season. No structured training, just zwift races 1-3 times a week.

And on the opposite side of the spectrum I hit all time highs after avoiding >FTP efforts for 5 months. Prior to that I'd done a lot of "race" efforts for years. Which did get me in good shape very quickly in the beginning.

I'd suggest that it's probably good to change it up once in awhile.
Quote Reply
Re: Raise my FTP by 11% [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m hoping for this. Did a lot
Of v02 over the years and have stagnated for quite some time. Now just doing threshold and below in season and
Leave the racing efforts for the races.
Quote Reply

Prev Next