Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart rate strap - heart block... For cardiologists
Quote | Reply
My dad can't seem to get any electrical heart straps to work. He has a heart block, that used to be partial...but, changed to a complete block about the same time he started having trouble with his strap.

He started out with a powertap powercal. That worked until about 6 months ago. They shopped him a new strap,ehich didn't work either. Then he bought a garmin hard strap, which seemed to work for a few days then stopped. Garmin shipped him a soft strap..whixh didn't work either.

But, since we are on vacation together, I tried them all... And all straps work fine for me and don't work for him. So, the variable seems to be him and his heart. My hrm-tri strap seemed to work for him... But that was the only strap out of all of them.

He has a complete block of the right nerve root to his heart. Does anyone know if/how this influences the hrm measurement, and if there is a workaround?
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate strap - heart block... For cardiologists [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea on straps not working for your dad.
Maybe try optical, like a Scosche Rythym 24?
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate strap - heart block... For cardiologists [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
My dad can't seem to get any electrical heart straps to work. He has a heart block, that used to be partial...but, changed to a complete block about the same time he started having trouble with his strap.

He started out with a powertap powercal. That worked until about 6 months ago. They shopped him a new strap,ehich didn't work either. Then he bought a garmin hard strap, which seemed to work for a few days then stopped. Garmin shipped him a soft strap..whixh didn't work either.

But, since we are on vacation together, I tried them all... And all straps work fine for me and don't work for him. So, the variable seems to be him and his heart. My hrm-tri strap seemed to work for him... But that was the only strap out of all of them.

He has a complete block of the right nerve root to his heart. Does anyone know if/how this influences the hrm measurement, and if there is a workaround?

Does he have a pacemaker?
The Wahoo optical arm band works nicely.
Not sure how the new Apple Watch does with its ECG measurements.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate strap - heart block... For cardiologists [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No pacemaker, at this time.

This all started because he has a powertap powercal. The magic heart rate strap that estimates power from heart rate and variability.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 25, 18 5:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have your dad wear a transmitter in the normal position and then spin it around so the battery piece and contacts are on his back. This helps in some cases. Let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate strap - heart block... For cardiologists [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wayne@PolarUSA wrote:
Have your dad wear a transmitter in the normal position and then spin it around so the battery piece and contacts are on his back. This helps in some cases. Let me know.

Thanks. I should have mentioned in the OP:

We tried all different placements of the electrodes: Upside down, skewed left or right, on his back (upside down, and right side up). Nothing seemed to work predictably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried an optical strap? (mentioned above)
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate strap - heart block... For cardiologists [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not yet. Originally he was trying to get his powercal to work which requires electrical hrm. Since that doesn't seem to be an option at this point...

I suggested a scosche rhythm+ as an alternative.

Thanks.
Quote Reply