Prev Next
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [ksb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ksb wrote:
It re-airs on NBCSN December 12.

or...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR9e_mO-xSc
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [dswezey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dswezey wrote:
I love the idea to provide AG winners coverage. would take 60 seconds and it brings the "every guy/gal" element to the forefront.

Yes, it's not like it's any extra trouble, as they already have the cameras set up. It's just a matter of paying the crew to hang around till midnight - and Union rules regarding hours & overtime

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They'd get out earlier if they were covering the AG winners VS the Midnight tumblers. : ) Put it in their suggestion box.

Tri is my Tribe! "Sometimes you need to slow down in order to go fast."
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [dswezey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dswezey wrote:
I love the idea to provide AG winners coverage. would take 60 seconds and it brings the "every guy/gal" element to the forefront.

No. It's a professional championship. The AG'ers are just there to help pay for it.

And showing even less of the the pro race would be ridiculous. We learn nothing about the various athletes, the rivalries, early season results and qualifying. Let's fix that before they show fucking age groupers.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, this is the Super Bowl of long distance triathlon we don’t need Age Group winner stories. They already missed so many opportunities to add story/colour to the pro race.

NordicSkier wrote:
dswezey wrote:

No. It's a professional championship. The AG'ers are just there to help pay for it.

And showing even less of the the pro race would be ridiculous. We learn nothing about the various athletes, the rivalries, early season results and qualifying. Let's fix that before they show fucking age groupers.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll probably be gone soon. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kula wrote:
It'll probably be gone soon. Thanks!

Yep. Your welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Agreed, this is the Super Bowl of long distance triathlon we don’t need Age Group winner stories. They already missed so many opportunities to add story/colour to the pro race.

NordicSkier wrote:
dswezey wrote:

I didn't suggest having stories about the age group winners, only showing all of the winners crossing the finish line. That would take 1 or 2 minutes of coverage which is already being recorded, it would just take some editing. And they are all world champions, not just Patrick Lange & Daniela Ryf.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
ksb wrote:
It re-airs on NBCSN December 12.

or...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR9e_mO-xSc

Thx, I watched it with my wife tonight. She cried over the guy who lost his wife and youngest son to brain cancer. That was a real tear jerker ... she got up to grab a box of tissues for that segment. Other thoughts:

- Decent enough announcer but he was a little monotone compared to Al.
- Decent enough broadcast but could have been better.
- Music selection was not compelling.
- The editing and flow of the production seemed slightly off and at times disjointed.
- The ending of the show seemed rushed. They barely mentioned the finish of the mother of five, nor do I really understand why they picked her. They showed Sarah Reinertsen finishing but did not say who she was or the significance of her finishing even faster. They did not spend enough time on the 85 year old finisher...the most stupendous feat of the entire race and one I don't expect to see beaten again in my lifetime.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Nov 27, 18 18:32
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
We need one of those "behind the scenes" of the NBC telecast...5 years later type of show. This mom of 5 suddenly became a divorced mom of 8 because she's remarried to some guy named Doug who had 3 children in his 1st marriage. They have her on the couch interviewing with the camera guy while 3 kids in the background are running around trying to kill each other. Mom with baggy eyes remembers the "great" memories of that day in the lava fields....Tears roll down her eyes, as one of the kids from the top of the stairs yells at her to stop crying, "you did this mom, it's your fault"....as the show cuts to a black screen she says "i did it for them"................

That's what we need....IM reality.

Since you are a WTC hating ITU fan boy, I wanted to share a post someone made on the Ironman Legacy Facebook group today. The OP asked Legacy finishers what they are doing after Kona. The not surprising answer is that many are still doing IMs. But this one stood out and needs to be included in your IM reality show:

Posted 27 Nov 2018: "Did my first IM in '92 and went to Kona in 2015. 23 IMs so far for me and 21 for my wife. No plans to stop anytime soon... it's a lifestyle that keeps us active and healthy..."
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
We need one of those "behind the scenes" of the NBC telecast...5 years later type of show. This mom of 5 suddenly became a divorced mom of 8 because she's remarried to some guy named Doug who had 3 children in his 1st marriage. They have her on the couch interviewing with the camera guy while 3 kids in the background are running around trying to kill each other. Mom with baggy eyes remembers the "great" memories of that day in the lava fields....Tears roll down her eyes, as one of the kids from the top of the stairs yells at her to stop crying, "you did this mom, it's your fault"....as the show cuts to a black screen she says "i did it for them"................

That's what we need....IM reality.

Since you are a WTC hating ITU fan boy, I wanted to share a post someone made on the Ironman Legacy Facebook group today. The OP asked Legacy finishers what they are doing after Kona. The not surprising answer is that many are still doing IMs. But this one stood out and needs to be included in your IM reality show:

Posted 27 Nov 2018: "Did my first IM in '92 and went to Kona in 2015. 23 IMs so far for me and 21 for my wife. No plans to stop anytime soon... it's a lifestyle that keeps us active and healthy..."

Couple is sitting on the couch with an IM pillow between them, an IM finishing photo behind their left shoulder and a bunch of IM medals hanging off the wall over her right shoulder......Camera on them and producer asks "so where's the family"? Couple (guy wearing an IM visor, wife wearing a IM shirt w/ compression socks w IM sandals)- "What family? This is a lifestyle man, we take advantage of IM's early sign up by signing up for next year's races before we even start this year's race". Producer- "So what kind of job lets you have all that time off"....Couple- Oh I sold my biz and now "consult" and every trip is a business expense (winks at the camera).

(send me some more please

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [drkoontz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drkoontz wrote:
And they are all world champions, not just Patrick Lange & Daniela Ryf.

LOL. No.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watching it right now.

I like the new narrator.

For European ears, the previously one was a little over-the-top (US-)American in a stereo-typical kinda way. It sounded like a one-hour movie trailer...

I think Arnold Schwarzenegger would be awesome for the job aswell....

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [tankinisusanne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed! Devoid of gravitas and emotion compared to prior broadcasts. I didn't even watch the very end.

Also, very obvious how IM is trying to bring females into the sport as they focused heavily on how a busy mom w multiple kids can do an IM. Sadly they did so at the expense of a compelling broadcast overall.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [ksb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2018 SOS Triathlon coverage will follow the Kona show at 5pm on NBC Sports...
hoping I don't get BBQ'ed like the kona guy

runrshi a.k.a. voice over guy for SOS...
Last edited by: runrshi: Nov 30, 18 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [runrshi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone have a version online that hasn't been removed? Private msg me if you have a link please :)
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman has it posted on one of their Facebook pages...

https://www.facebook.com/...eos/334434490690256/
Last edited by: Uncle Phil: Nov 30, 18 21:42
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [tankinisusanne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinda like when they phased out Warren Miller- just not the same!

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked Warren Millars Endless Winter, but did you mean Peter Millar perhaps?
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Costas or Al Michaels.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [tjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha I dont think IM can afford either of those 2. I'd imagine their asking price would be $500k + .

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Puddy would be a step up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I thought the new guy was way better than Al. That mother of 5 was pure torture. If you didn't shed a tear watching/listening to the guy who lost his wife and son....
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seemed like the low fat version of tried and true formula. Not because it was bad but just because it had been so impressively good in the past.

They delivered what you'd expect a huge team delivering footage of a 15 hour event that takes place on 180 miles of course on a overly sunny day to look like.

How they used to afford cinematic quality filming, slow motion footage, helicopter footage, underwater footage and capture a bunch of key moments, then edit it all with music and a dramatic voice over was an amazing achievement ... Award winning no surprise. I always wondered how they got the resources to treat it like it was the super bowl.

Just look at the start.... that moment was in slow motion captured from 4 or 5 angles, they played with different ways to deliver the canon blast each year... Silence after the boom, echo boom, slow motion boom, repeating the boom from a few angles quickly..... all cinematic quality perfect sunrise lighting. Now it really looked like a canon going off being filmed digitally, nothing extra. Not too many start swim shots (maybe this had less importance already since the mass start for everyone was stopped). I think they even recycled a underwater shot. Which is all understandable, why pay for new footage that will roughly look the same?

The quality is still high for what it is, but just not ridiculous high quality.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Broadcast: not sure if I miss Al Trautwig or not [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed the show in general. Respect for the mother of five (?) who survived cancer.

But the tears after watching the Ozzie who lost his wife and child made the rest of the show a bit blurry for me. What a sad but powerful story. Just incredible.

As for the record-breaking 85-year-old, Inada Hitomi, there's a very good chance he'll break his own record next year I imagine!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next