Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Qudos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

I'm looking to buy a Speedmax CF 8.0 and can't work out whether I should be an S or M - any help would be much appreciated.
I have previously been fitted to a Trek Speed Concept, size M.
My fit measurements are: Saddle height: 745mm, Reach (saddle nose to pads): 525mm, Drop: 95mm
I'm 5'9 with a 78.7cm inseam
I'll be switching the original cranks over to 170's as well.
Thanks!

Qudos,
I'm guessing your Pad Y is roughly 614 and your Pad X is in the neighborhood of 473. You'd be a medium in the Speedmax CF as well. You run a healthy drop so you might want to consider going even shorter in your cranks to 165.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I'm all about athletes mastering triathlon
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Cape_Horn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian
So I finally got a refit last week. (I found a FIST certified fitter in my area)
new details
Pad X - 528
Pad Y - 622
(Changing my current bike setup to accommodate this position to see how it works for longer rides)
(Just a small change)

Cape_Horn,

I'm hoping you've had enough time in this new position to confirm it. If you're good with Pad Y of 622 and Pad X of 528 then it completely changes the prescription from our earlier back-n-forth when the ONLY bike that would fit you was the CF in size large (to get the pad height high enough) but with a shorter stem (to get he cockpit short enough). Now you're so much lower and longer that the CF won't really work anymore. Now the prescription is...

The Speedmax SLX in a size medium with 30mm of riser and the pads pushed out to the max with the short stem (that one comes stock on the bike). That results in a Pad Y of 625 and Pad X of 529.

Now, if you started riding these new numbers and tweaked them a bit get back to me with the changes and I can re-prescribe.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [east31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian. I am looking at a Speedmax CF. I am guessing that I am an XL but I want to double check as I am concerned that I won't be able to reduce my pad stack much (should I want to in the future) while maintaining 30mm of spacers under a TriRig Alpha One (apparently that will keep the stem inline with the bento box). By my calculations if I have 30mm of spacers then the mono bar will be at 30. Also, I am not sure if there are any aero advantages to a larger or smaller frame.
Pad Y: 700 (ctr pad)
Pad X: 535
6'5" tall with a 37.5 inseam.
If there is an argument for the Large then I would like to know. Thanks!

east31,
Sorry for the slow reply but if you're still working on this project I'd like to walk through a few steps with you.

You mentioned Pad Y of 700 to center of pad, I'm concerned about the Pad X of 535 being center of the pad or rear - that's the current pickle we're in in the bike industry, some measure to center, some to rear.

You are for sure an XL in the Speedmax CF. The Pad Y range on the XL is 634-721 so not only are you covered there but you have some room to move. The Pad X on XL maxes out at 533. Keep in mind that this is with the Canyon 90mm stem. You could put another stem on the there, the steerer and bar are all standard. But from your notes it sounds like you perhaps planning on using a Tri Rig bar and if that's the case you'll get a little bit more out of the Pad X as it has a range of 40mm while the stock Canyon set up has a range of 37mm.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [mgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,
I am not sure you can help me given that I can’t provide the requested information but I figured I would give it a shot anyway.
Canyon is currently running a nice sale and I figured I would pull the trigger on the Speedmax CF SL 8.0. Thing is, I am somewhat unsure about the frame size. My height is 177 cm and my inseam 84 cm. Their online tool places me at a size m frame. Though at the lower end of the range. At 82 cm inseam it would be a size s.
What’s your view on this. Go with the recommended size or rather size down?
Thanks in advance for your feedback. It’s highly appreciated.

Jo,
If you're still on the fence I can help. I can even help with the info you've provided but I feel I could be more accurate with one little tid bit that you might have available. Do you know your current saddle height (from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Thanks for your help. It’s highly appreciated.

I am still in for the bike. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet as I am still unsure about the size.

The measurement from mid bottom bracket to the top of my saddle is 72 cm on my road bike. I measured straight up. Quite happy with the position on it.

Cheers,
Jo
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, really excited about this. Newbie to the site and forums, but loving all this information. This is exactly what I was looking for without many LBS or tribike options to size on. Hoping you can help us out! Wife gave me the "soft" go ahead on new bikes, so I'm running with it!

Both my wife and I are looking at buying our first tri bikes. We currently ride 2011 Trek 2.1 road bikes (mine a 54cm H2, hers a Lexa 54cm H3). She has very long legs proportionately, but i question if the 54 was right for her. We have clip-on aerobars and have been fit (as well as possible) by a fitter with them. We've done a number of triathlons in the past, but are just getting back into it after a break due to kids. We were scheduled for our first IM 70.3 this year (postponed now) and I would envision us sticking with the Olympic/70.3 level. We are age groupers and compete hard, but likely won't be podium dwellers at any point. I've seen an excellent price on P2's (Competitive Cyclist), but struggle to find sizing information - and I suspect my wife is smaller than sizes offered. I've also been looking at the Canyons and it seems like a great deal with the Reynolds wheels on the base model. Thus, I've been looking at the Speedmax CF 7.0 for both of us and looking forward to what you suggest!

Here goes - best measurements I could take with our road bike setup (and a few other measurements, not sure if relevant)

Wife (she looks stretched out, but doesn't seem to bother her):
Pad Y = 676
Pad X = 345
Pad Z (C2C) = ~245
Saddle = ~ +1.5 deg (OEM road saddle)
Saddle Height = 723
Height = 160cm (5'-3")
In Seam = 75cm (29.5")

Me:
Pad Y = 665
Pad X = 331
Pad Z (C2C) = ~183
Saddle = ~ -4 to 4.5 deg (ISM PR2.0)
Saddle Height = 770
Height = 173cm (5'-8")
In Seam = 79cm (31")

Looking forward to any suggestions you have. I really appreciate you doing this and excited about #newbikeday. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply

Prev Next