Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you ride stationary in the aero position... [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
harshc wrote:
1. nothing different, the only difference would be the towel across the bars
2. usually i will have my laptop to the side with Zwift running and Netflix or some thing playing on the TV. I use the TV for the treadmill and the squat rack as well so cant really keep it low to the ground. Its a old 51inch TV that is on its last legs.

Your off centre set up would drive timr crazy I bet.
Quote Reply
Re: If you ride stationary in the aero position... [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love that poster! The full quote is:

When people say to me; maybe I'll become something great, I say "sit down, if you think
this way you're gonna be a loser, there is no Maybe"
You have to get up and say "I want to be a champion!"
"I'll do whatever it takes, any amount of hours, whatever it takes I will do"
-- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: If you ride stationary in the aero position... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Older Tri bike, same config as new (outside) bike. Towel over aero bars, front riser block. Stay in aero probably 95%, but sit up to drink from water bottle off a side table - my bts bottle cages went on new bike.

2) TV is 46”, sits about 5” above the top of a 30” bookcase, with no up/down angle. My bike and wife’s bike both sit about 48” back, each angled about 15-20 degrees.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
...and you watch something on a screen...

1. what do you do differently, position-wise, on your tri bike indoors verses outdoors?
2. how LARGE is the screen, and where is it, relative to you? straight ahead of you? angled down? to the side? on the ceiling?

1. you loose all the equilibrium feel, with several consequences :

you do not work the muscles contributing to balance, both on a muscular point of view AND neuromuscular reflex
you do not learn how to operate the bike swiftly and relaxed on the road, while in this position

Then, when on a real road, like Lionel Sanders, you look like shit on the bike, you are not relaxed and easy, and when something happen in front of you on the road (pot hole, cat, dog, triathlete who trained too much on Swift, ...), you crash like a wingless turkey... seen Chicken Run ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVdlxwX6A7g

Pink ? Well, depend on the proportion of time you really spend practicing the position on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I don't have a helmet, glasses, etc which I guess act as some "position pointers". Other than that, same thing.

2. Laptop screen (14"), angled down ahead of me. It's essentially where I'd be looking at the road if I'm out in a race (IE, reasonably clear road, no reason to look 100m ahead).

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: If you ride stationary in the aero position... [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rollers set up with iPad on music stand in front of the rollers for Zwift.
Try to spend as much time in position as possible, but although my trainer bike is roughly the same position as race bike it's harder to stay in aero.

Also I note that whenever I'm on the road, it's FAR easier to stay in the bars than on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) My indoor TT position is very similar to my outside position. I try to ride on the extensions as much as possible.

2) I watch Netflix on a standard iPad about 1' in front of my face on a Wahoo table.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Yes - I think I hold a bit differently because I am not watching for potholes, traffic, etc.
2. 32" TV straight ahead, 2' off the floor, 6' in front of me. Remote is in the bottle holder of the treadmill which is right next to me. I need a Kickr!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cell phone laying on the aero bars.
Wireless ear buds.
Mobile app for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling,YouTube, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

1. what do you do differently, position-wise, on your tri bike indoors verses outdoors?
2. how LARGE is the screen, and where is it, relative to you? straight ahead of you? angled down? to the side? on the ceiling?

Nothing
20 inch tube TV or 16 inch computer watching Spinervals I have an ironing board next to me with a small fan towel and my phone

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a relatively large screen close enough that I can touch the screen while still on the bike. I have it angle slightly up but at a height which requires I maintain proper head position to see the power numbers. I adjust the setup when I use my road bike on the trainer so it is specific to the aero position.

I have found if I allow myself to get lazy and put the screen where I don't have to look up and ahead I really really suffer outdoors. I don't think I have raced on closed roads in ~5 years so looking at the ground is not an option. To help in terms of getting the setup right I actually installed a mirror so that I can check my position as a reminder not to drop my head.
Quote Reply
Re: If you ride stationary in the aero position... [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, rollers make you work as on the road, much more than trainers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello

I use apple tv.
Main TV of the dining room, in the middle occupying everything, when they are all sleeping, if I do not have to use the one in the room and in that step heat badly badly.
One or two fans according to the training, if it is test the 2.
The TV is 40Cm from where I have the bike.
to the left I put a chair, with the liquid always with ice inside, also what I will use to feed myself.

The position is not the same sensation as in the street, normally the indoor workouts are with very strong intervals, when I have these intervals I do not usually do aero positions, I often end up making animal noises suffering jajajja.
In the intervals of rest, regenerative, rhythm of race, heating or cooling, if I try to be in aero position.

Now I change the position a bit and I'm in adaptation, the feeling of burning quadricep is high, it could also be that I'm on the low of 70.3 from 1 week ago.

Really for me it is not the same inside that outside to be in aero position

sorry my english
Rafael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

1. not much, but I think my indoors position is probably better than my outdoors. Indoors I can concentrate on getting my head down without the distractions that come from riding outside. But the bike itself is the same.

2. Not sure of the size, I think it's either a 32" or 36" flat screen, straight ahead and the top of the screen is below my eye level when I'm sat on the trainer. I'd guess it's 4 or 5 feet in front of me, sitting on a metal cabinet. my phone and remote sit on a box that's just below basebar height just to the side, but that's gonna change so they go directly in front in my line of sight.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. keep it the same
2. I use a music stand with 2 ipads side by side - one running TR or Zwift and one running Netflix. I have the music stand adjusted so i'm in a relatively close position to where I would be looking if outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No changes to TT bike set-up, but I place a 2 inch block of wood under front tire, so riding slightly “uphill.” Seems a bit more comfortable, but maybe all in my head.
2. Laptop screen on table directly in front of bike, so feels like looking approx the same “up the road”
Quote Reply
Re: If you ride stationary in the aero position... [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
1. Nothing

2. 42" situated appx 5ft in front of handlebars about 18" off ground, angled slightly up l,
Allowing for identical head position as good outdoor riding.

+1 w/ a 55"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Nothing, isn't that a marker of a great fit? (plug for ACME, fit by Colin who is also quite excellent)

2) Mostly just the computer on a lowered chair in front of me which seems to mimic race head position the best. Sometimes the TV is on, usually when a race is on, which requires a bit more upturn in the neck

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my laptop at about the same level as my aero bars and a tv on a desk about a foot or two in front of me. The tv is set at a height that mimics where (for the most part) I'd be looking if I was outside. I always had a hard time with my neck when outdoor season started until I did this with the tv. I always try to do the meat and potatoes of the ride in aero and the warm up, cool down, and recoveries out of it. Just my two cents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

1. No change in position. Dedicated trainer bike is set up to match my TT bike exactly
2. Tablet screen approximately 3' from my face (about six inches away from my hands when in a TT position) positioned such that the middle of the screen is about where I'd be looking if I were outdoors on a TT bike (I can see about 75-100 yards up the road while in TT... I'm probably ten to fifteen degrees down from the horizon if that makes any sense).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Same position on the trainer as outdoors. Ride in the aero position about 90% of the time (change positions when the computrainer course has hills that warrant sitting or standing up).
2. Screen #1: 32" diagonal screen TV, located about 4 feet in front of my front wheel. TV is on the floor, so down about 30 degrees from the aerobars. Screen is tilted up slightly (maybe 5 degrees). Screen #2: My laptop sits on a small table next to (just left of) the TV on the floor. Laptop displays the computrainer program that I'm running. Laptop screen is maybe 11".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have
  • a Monitor that is on a table directly in front of my handlebars and angled up at me.
  • an iPad just below it
  • a Fan above it

No difference between road bike an aero bike as the monitor sits pretty low in both cases...
Typically Zwift on monitor (via AppleTV), sometimes Youtube on the iPad. Bluetooth headphones to connect to one of them depending on application...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Two set ups:

TT bike + Tacx Neo at home:
1. Similar on the extensions for intervals and work, but not wearing a helmet / visor with the same position cues. I think my head is about the same place. Often sat up / on basebars during recovery. It is much easier to stay on the extensions for longer periods of time on the road. 120W fan in front and to the left of the bike + wide open doors to the outside just in front of the bike.

2. 13" Macbook about 40cm in front (so screen 60cm) of the extensions and base about 25cm below the arm pads running Zwift or Sufferfest.

Wattbike at work:
1.) Probably a bit different in all respects, regular long nosed, thin saddle and the bars are non adjustable, but set as close as I can. Head probably a touch higher. I can do an hour at threshold sat on the extensions / nose of the saddle, but the saddle is distinctly uncomfortable like that, so most of the time swap between extensions and bars every 10mins or so during work intervals and sat up on recovery.

2.) iPad mini sat just below the Wattbike display running Zwift or Sufferfest + wireless headphones.
Quote Reply

Prev Next