Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike fit help
Quote | Reply
Hello

Recently I went for a bike fit for a new TT bike. Specifically a Trek Speedconcept. My brief to the fitter was that the longest race I will be doing will be 40km. I want a position that I can hold for an hour and it doesn't need to be longer than that. I got the following output in the image below.

I got this emailed to me a few days after the fit and when I saw the bb to arm pad stack and reach I was very surprised to see that I was shorter and higher than my road bike with clip ons.

I am 5 ft 11 inches tall (180cm) and my torso is slightly longer than average for that height with my legs being slightly shorter but its too much of an effect.

Does this look correct to you? 665/416 stack/reach.

On the slowtwich chart I would be an outlier

thanks for any help

Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit help [davidwilcock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to see a picture of you, but yeah that seems pretty high and short. We are of similar size but your stack is 45mm higher than mine, like two inches. And since you're shorter than me, your stack would likely be lower than mine in a *proper* TT position.

can you post a pic?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit help [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I dont have a pic from the fit. The bike is still on order (I was sold a large with a medium near stem) so dont have it yet. Not so helpful I know. Im just worried the fit felt good because i was in a super relaxed upright position...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no worries, just get the long low stem and you'll be good to go for later

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thankyou Eric

I forgot to mention the reach is to the back of the pad, not the center
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I'd have to see a picture of you, but yeah that seems pretty high and short. We are of similar size but your stack is 45mm higher than mine, like two inches. And since you're shorter than me, your stack would likely be lower than mine in a *proper* TT position.

can you post a pic?
This.

A picture and/or video is an expected output from a fit, in addition to the bike measurements.

If you're not getting that, odds are you aren't getting a great fit.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit help [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if this is useful or not, but as the image upload failed, I will just have to state that the Closed hip angle was 55 degrees

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a very shallow saddle angle and just a 6 cm armpad drop. Impossible to know without pictures, but my intuition tells me your fit isn't very good. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you long legged and short torsoed by chance?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I'm quite the opposite I believe.

Trent - thankyou your thoughts are consistent with mine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will see if the bike shop gave anything that they haven't sent me in terms of photos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too and concerned about the seat angle/set back. I have two questions:
1) was this fit done on a dynamic fit bike?
2) what saddle were you sitting on for the fit?

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit help [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi ian

The saddle. Was an ism pn1. 1 if I remember correctly

The bike was a stationary bike with retul branding on it where they could adjust most of not all dimensions by turning some handles and wheels.

The crank length used was 165mm

I hope that helps, let me know if you need any more details

I am trying to get some images from the bike shop now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David,

This is good news and here's why I asked - we have an idea of where the seat is positioned, it's told to us via two metrics: seat angle and set back. The ISM is a nose-free saddle so those numbers are possibly acceptable if (and this is the big if) you were sitting on the seat where it's supposed to be ridden - which is to say, on the nose of it, near the tip of it, with quite a bit of saddle sticking out behind your bum. Also, yes the fit was done on a dynamic fit bike, good. It gives me more confidence in the numbers.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit help [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's very helpful ian

As a general point - I have since found out that my reach is actually 456mm to pad center which puts me closer to a reasonable range as per the slowtwitch scatter plot.

There are no pictures to come as there were none taken sadly
Quote Reply