Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Slowly watching my father die [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Things have taken a turn for the worse. His health is degrading quickly and his mental status, although sharp, is getting mean. He hasn't given up, but I'm pretty sure the realization has come home and it is hitting him pretty hard.

It only gets worse...

He has been living with a GF for the better part of 5 years and she is kicking him out. She's no spring chicken, but she is in great shape and doesn't want the burden of my father. Sad, but real. So his options have changed. He is either going to live with my sister, or go to a home. The thought of my father in a home is really hitting me hard. I'm not sure why, we weren't close, but I feel I should be doing something more than just dumping in a home. I have no room in my house and I think he is at the stage of needing care, at least part time, which I don't have the time to do.

Shit!!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the kind of situations where there is no good answer. You have my sympathy.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Situation sucks, you have my sympathy. Haven't had to go through it with a direct family member, but my uncle died of cancer earlier this year and the last 6 months was really tough on his wife and adult children and on my mum. Imagine it's even worse if there's nobody really there for him. Has the GF thrown him out as in wants nothing more to do with him, or just can't handle having him in the house? Later is understandable, former is pretty tough after 5 years.

No practical advice I'm afraid, other than to do whatever you can to make sure you have no regrets after he's gone. You don't want to spend the rest of your life wishing you'd spent more time with him. Would also say that if he does stay with your sister instead of at a home, and if there's money to cover it, then worth looking into getting some professional help. E.g. a nurse who can come in as needed and is used to dealing with patients at the end of their life. Things can get pretty messy towards the end, having some extra help and experience around can help stop it from turning into a situation where you resent the burden your parent has become rather than remembering the person they were.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Slowly watching my father die [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for you. Losing a parent it tough. As a retired medical person I do stick by my thoughts of the #1 issue in the dying process. Are we extending life here or prolonging death? I know I felt better of the decision process of putting my pets down over the years than watching my parents die. I think the worse of the bunch was mom in a memory care unit, that ain't living... it is just using air and taking up space on the planet. I tip my hat to the hospice folks helping folks get over the hump day in and out. God speed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next