Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forclosure of a home in Canada
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any experience with this?

Market basically crashed, I need to sell the house, but owe basically what it is worth. What Happens if I just walk away from it?
Quote Reply
Re: Forclosure of a home in Canada [TA3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mortgages in Canada are generally “full recourse”. The property will be sold under power of sale and if the net proceeds are less than your mortgage debt plus costs of the sale, you remain responsible for the shortfall
Quote Reply
Re: Forclosure of a home in Canada [markea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm.

That sound a little ugly.
I might just keep the place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are really under water and you can wait it out long term, that’s usually best. If you can’t service the mortgage, you are usually better off selling it yourself. You will probably get a better price than the bank, and you won’t be responsible for the lender’s enforcement costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TA3 wrote:

Market basically crashed, I need to sell the house, but owe basically what it is worth. What Happens if I just walk away from it?

I sold a commercial property right after a real estate crash/recession in the early 1990's and was fortunate to break even. Ironically, I could have made a $60 K profit if I had taken an offer six months earlier before the crash but at the time I thought the offer was way too low ball. Then the entire real estate market crashed. You know what they say about hindsight.....

Walk away and you're still responsible for paying the mortgage. If you don't your credit rating will be shot. You are still responsible for any shortfall if you do sell it for less than you owe. Might as well declare bankruptcy if you walk away from your mortgage. You'd get rid of all your debts but you'd be a nobody for at least three years as far as lending institutions are concerned and a full seven before its off your record. You had better sell it. You can maximize profit by selling it yourself rather than using a real estate agent. A number of sites online will help you with this. Would renting it out cover your mortgage? This could be an option until the market returns. Or could you rent out the basement as an apartment or take in a boarder to help with cash flow as a temporary measure?
Quote Reply
Re: Forclosure of a home in Canada [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just looked into it a little bit.

Apparently (needs full verification) the mortgage (In Saskatchewan) is a non-recourse mortgage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, well, Saskatchewan can be weird
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TA3 wrote:
Just looked into it a little bit.

Apparently (needs full verification) the mortgage (In Saskatchewan) is a non-recourse mortgage.

So do you have other assets that they can go after, which I believe is what happens with a non-recourse mortgage? They get access to your other assets, but nothing further.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What market crashed? The housing market?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The housing market in Saskatchewan crashed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TA3 wrote:

Is it your principal residence and is it CMHC insured ?
Quote Reply