Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there a way to get a rough stack/reach estimate at home?
Quote | Reply
I know, I know, and I will get a full on bike fit when I get a bike. But I lost track of time, and now it’s almost Black Friday/cyber Monday and my work is crazy this week. I’m hoping someone somewhere has a deal that’s too good to pass up...

Anyway, is there a way to grossly estimate my stack and reach based on measurements? Just so I get the right size bike frame if I buy something online?

Thanks,
Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to get a rough stack/reach estimate at home? [Kwalton839] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stack and reach database + stem calculator + rough estimate for your bars = pretty easily +/- 10mm
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to get a rough stack/reach estimate at home? [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, I only have a road bike right now, looking to get a tri bike. Would that work for estimating correct frame size? I was thinking something like I’m 72 inches tall, 75kg, on the more flexible side, inseam is x, etc...telling me very roughly what stack and reach usually works with those stats. Is that crazy?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to get a rough stack/reach estimate at home? [Kwalton839] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have an existing bike that fits why not just measure it? Only takes 5 min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This got be pretty close before I got my fit done:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp#results

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to get a rough stack/reach estimate at home? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just the kind of thing I was looking for! Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also look at Mr. Slowman's orthodoxy chart. https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ld_Example_6852.html

If anywhere gives you a number out of the norm. It's probably non-optimal (for the vast majority of people). Your tri bike fit stack should not be significantly higher than your current road bike bar stack.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Nov 19, 18 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are ways to estimate this, but going to a fitter on a retul bike will get you the exact dimensions you need so you can see what bikes fit you best. You may be a 54" in 1 brand, but a 52" in another just based on your personal geometry. It's almost always worth it to get the fit first and then find the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kwalton839 wrote:
I know, I know, and I will get a full on bike fit when I get a bike.

you really should get a fit *before* you get a bike, not after.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply