Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Quote | Reply
Watched this on Netflix over the weekend. I really enjoyed it, it's a quintessential Coen Brothers' movie.

Set in the old west, 6 unrelated short stories are told. Interesting dialogue, great acting. I'm a big fan of realism but it didn't bother me that all the the stories are slightly over the top, they none feel like you're watching history but some slightly silly, fantasy version of it. And yet out of that silliness are some really nice poignant moments.

I imagine this one is going to be up for some awards.
Quote Reply
Re: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the Coen brothers work. My wife and I always try to see their movies on opening night.

I really liked the first story with Buster and the one with the woman traveling to Oregon. Some of the others just left me wondering what the point was. I need to watch again, it was late Friday night and I was having a little trouble keeping my eyes open.

I'm a little surprised the critic have mostly liked it. I really like their last movie, Suburbicon, but it got really mediocre reviews.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Watched this on Netflix over the weekend. I really enjoyed it, it's a quintessential Coen Brothers' movie.

Set in the old west, 6 unrelated short stories are told. Interesting dialogue, great acting. I'm a big fan of realism but it didn't bother me that all the the stories are slightly over the top, they none feel like you're watching history but some slightly silly, fantasy version of it. And yet out of that silliness are some really nice poignant moments.

I imagine this one is going to be up for some awards.

I really liked it, too, though I really can't say why!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh, the last "episode" I didn't understand. where the passengers already dead? was this the gateway to heaven
Quote Reply
Re: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
oh, the last "episode" I didn't understand. where the passengers already dead? was this the gateway to heaven

It's not clear. While Mad-Eye Moody and the other guy said that they were reapers, that was also understood to be bounty hunters. That's consistent with their catch being already dead, as well as the story of how they got him. But you can also notice how the outside scenery changed from bright and sunny to dark and grim. If I remember correctly, it got dark around when the one guy stuck his head out the window to ask the driver to stop. Also, while the stage coach seemed to be a bumpy ride, whenever you looked out the window, it looked as if the scenery was passing by smoothly, as if on a train.

I think the story can be interpreted both ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First episode has Willie Watson as the Kid. Used to be with Old Crow Medicine Show. I remember seeing him when he was just starting out his solo career at Alex's Bar in Long Beach, back when you could hang out with him after his set and buy him a drink. I've seen him several times at small venues. He's got such a great and unique voice. If you liked the last song he same with Tim Blake Nelson, check him out.
Quote Reply