Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trump ends White House press briefings and news Conf.
Quote | Reply
Is it a possibility? Given his tweet line to people and the press, why continue with the press conf.

I don't think Trump would go this way as he would probably see it as retreating, but just a thought.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump ends White House press briefings and news Conf. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess he wants more time to preach to his base - and be unchallenged.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump ends White House press briefings and news Conf. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure it's a possibility.. they are not required. I seem to remember early he rarely had one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He just tweets all day anyway, so what's the point? So Sarah can explain what he "meant to say?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see why he couldn't continue having them and just not call on the "Mic Hog".
Quote Reply
Re: Trump ends White House press briefings and news Conf. [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
sure it's a possibility.. they are not required. I seem to remember early he rarely had one.

His immediate predecessor barely held any, and he holds way too many. There has to be a happy medium somewhere in between.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump ends White House press briefings and news Conf. [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His immediate predecessor barely held any, and he holds way too many. There has to be a happy medium somewhere in between.

In his first year of office Obama had 7 press conferences and Trump had 1.

Also in the first year, Obama gave 187 interviews and Trump gave 95.

Trump tends to hold a lot of quick Q&A where he can of course control who asks questions and he can also respond superficially without going into any policy depth, something he has mastered.

I realize you can't do press conferences and interviews while golfing which can explain why Trump hasn't done as many but to suggest Obama wasn't out in front of the public as often as Trump just doesn't relate to the facts.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump ends White House press briefings and news Conf. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

In his first year of office Obama had 7 press conferences and Trump had 1.

Also in the first year, Obama gave 187 interviews and Trump gave 95.

Trump tends to hold a lot of quick Q&A where he can of course control who asks questions and he can also respond superficially without going into any policy depth, something he has mastered.

I realize you can't do press conferences and interviews while golfing which can explain why Trump hasn't done as many but to suggest Obama wasn't out in front of the public as often as Trump just doesn't relate to the facts.

Did you pull that data for Barack Obama from the CNN analysis? From Newsweek (7/21/17):

Though Trump has only given one solo news conference since taking office, as CNN pointed out Monday, data from the American Presidency Project show that he participated in 11 joint press events through Thursday. That gives Trump an average of 2 news conferences per month, compared to Obama's 1.71 monthly average throughout his term."

It depends on how the term "news conference" ("press conference") is defined, I guess. I don't remember Mr. Obama having nearly the press availability that this fellow has and Major Garrett, the CBS News chief White House correspondent, has remarked that the current occupant of the Oval Office is far more accessible than Barack Obama was. I kind of agree. I fact, I'd say he just can't stay away from press availability opportunities, as you noted. The man simply can't, and won't, SHUT THE HELL UP. Which, at this point, I fervently wish he'd do posthaste.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply