Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now)
Quote | Reply
Please, for the love of God, just lower the damn drinking age already: ;-)

Teens are now getting drunk on boiled tampon juice.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmm, Bloody Mary :>
Quote Reply
Re: Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now) [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

Now that's just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. ;-) ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now) [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

Nah, they’re getting high from the chlorine.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now) [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
they’re getting high from the chlorine.

i'm doing this pool thing all wrong
Quote Reply
Re: Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should go back to sniffing glue or huffing gasoline like when we were kids... or that little whiff of gas that comes out of a can of whipped cream, right before the cream itself... :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The title of this thread should be, "Old fucks will believe almost anything if it sounds like kids these days are dumb".

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of states used to have 18 yr old drinking ages. Don't now why the feds made it 21 across the board.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now) [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
The title of this thread should be, "Old fucks will believe almost anything if it sounds like kids these days are dumb".

Yup "new york post" a great source of info. OH you could title it how some folks will twist a questionable story about people in Indonesia into something about American kids.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now) [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yup "new york post" a great source of info. OH you could title it how some folks will twist a questionable story about people in Indonesia into something about American kids.

Sorry it wasn't it in the New York Times, and also sorry it didn't meet the posted Lavender Room standards for truth, justice and the American way. Do you mind forwarding me those standards again? I must have lost my 2004 copy. ;-)
l

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does seem a bit hypocritical that you can vote for the president and die for your country, but not drink legally. I can see wanting to keep it out of high schools...but that's about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
j p o wrote:

Sorry it wasn't it in the New York Times, and also sorry it didn't meet the posted Lavender Room standards for truth, justice and the American way. Do you mind forwarding me those standards again? I must have lost my 2004 copy. ;-)
l

To be fair, it is as credible as anything else you post. :)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My family was just talking about this this past weekend. My sister turned 21, but at home with the family and close family friends my parents would always give my sister a drink or two, as long as she wasn't driving herself anywhere after.

After reading through the Washington laws regarding minors drinking, we found that it technically isn't illegal.

"(3) Subsections (1) and (2)(a) of this section do not apply to liquor given or permitted to be given to a person under the age of twenty-one years by a parent or guardian and consumed in the presence of the parent or guardian. This subsection shall not authorize consumption or possession of liquor by a person under the age of twenty-one years on any premises licensed under chapter 66.24 RCW."
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/....aspx?cite=66.44.270

However, we were trying to figure out what the case is for my wife and I. Technically we wouldn't fall under this exemption, because obviously, we don't live with our parents. Then we were trying to argue that we could be each others guardians and give it to each other, but we don't fall under the legal definition of a guardian.

Then my dad told us that without a warrant no one can come in to see what were doing at home :D

In all reality, it would probably be about a drink per week, if that, so we aren't hugely concerned. But we think it's funny we can be fully independent adults but we can't get a rental car, some hotels, alcohol, or a myriad of other things.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now) [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
My family was just talking about this this past weekend. My sister turned 21, but at home with the family and close family friends my parents would always give my sister a drink or two, as long as she wasn't driving herself anywhere after.

After reading through the Washington laws regarding minors drinking, we found that it technically isn't illegal.

"(3) Subsections (1) and (2)(a) of this section do not apply to liquor given or permitted to be given to a person under the age of twenty-one years by a parent or guardian and consumed in the presence of the parent or guardian. This subsection shall not authorize consumption or possession of liquor by a person under the age of twenty-one years on any premises licensed under chapter 66.24 RCW."

However, we were trying to figure out what the case is for my wife and I. Technically we wouldn't fall under this exemption, because obviously, we don't live with our parents. Then we were trying to argue that we could be each others guardians and give it to each other, but we don't fall under the legal definition of a guardian.

Then my dad told us that without a warrant no one can come in to see what were doing at home :D

In all reality, it would probably be about a drink per week, if that, so we aren't hugely concerned. But we think it's funny we can be fully independent adults but we can't get a rental car, some hotels, alcohol, or a myriad of other things.

I let my kids, once they were around 16 or so, to have an occasional drink at home. I always thought there was merit in not making a taboo too attractive. And then, I could also provide the example of a responsible drinker . . .Oh wait. Fuck!
Quote Reply
Re: Lower the Drinking Age! (What Teens are Getting Drunk On Now) [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:

The majority of countries around the world peg the legal drinking age at between 16-19, which I believe is appropriate, while there are some countries where there is no age limit and others where alcohol is banned.

https://drinkingage.procon.org/...hp?resourceID=004294
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter, 13, admitted she got drunk at her friends house a few weeks ago.

I was happy she told me but unhappy she even did in the first place.

I discussed with her the damage underage drinking would do to her brain, how hangovers feel, what might happen if she were drunk, etc.

Talked to the parents of the kids whos place she went to. We are a joint force now.

Cant stop kids from being stupid all the time, but can certainly educate them on the stupidity of their choice.
Quote Reply