Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why the shade on Rudy Project
Quote | Reply
I have found myself in the market for a new helmet. One on my short list is the Rudy project boost 01. I very often find people bad mouthing Rudy helmets on slowtwitch and am wondering where this all comes from. I think I remember someone once saying that specifically the Rudy wingspan performed poorly in a wind tunnel test, is that correct? Are there other tests in which the other Rudy helmets performed poorly as well? Or do people just think that since they made one helmet that underperformed that all of their helmets will do so as well?

Thanks for the clarification.
Quote Reply
Re: Why the shade on Rudy Project [Thestevebrandon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about the individual non-Rudy sponsored testing, but Rudy has a long history in Tri racing. Many wins, many happy customers. Other helmets don't work for some & visa-versa. Their helmets may not fit well on a certain shaped head due to the molds made, even with adjustability. Then again same for Giro, LG, Kask, Bell, you can say that about any helmet. It is really individual on fit. You want comfort for sure--aero and painful skull spots from an ill-fitting helmet is hard to live with.

I go with what fits, what vents, then what is light. Aero helmets are too hot so I use a road helmet & it's done quite well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wingspan is a good helmet, the wing57 simply didn't test well for most people. I think the boost 01 is fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RP helmets test fast on very very few people. Are you the norm or are you the exception? DesertDude on here does a lot testing with aerocamp. He encourages anyone in his age group to wear a RP helmet..... ;)

Lots folks also have issues with RP's marketing. It is very similar to an unnamed wetsuit company. There is always and I mean always a sale or discount. I don't think there is anyone that pays for a RP helmet at retail. The marketing is rather nauseating. I unsubscribed from their e-mails years ago as I was getting weekly emails about 40-50% off.

Then there was the year they gave out free helmets in Kona, which the ST population believes was only to boost their Kona count. Naturally, RP marketed their kona count win like crazy and continued to do so for several years. Though I will say their marketing has died off the last year or so.... or maybe that's because I unfollowed them and no longer see it???

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others mention it was the constant 50% off when that is really the MSRP. $400 for the Boost??? Giro came out with a best-in-class Aerohead helmet, which is going to be in all likelihood the fastest helmet for the most people besting the old best-in-class LG P09 and debuted at a reasonable $250. You can score select colors and sizes on the Aerohead for $170 right now. When you look at the Giro, specifically the visor and its special shape, and how it all integrates into the shape of the helmet it really seems like a deal. I am sure Giro could have charged quite a bit more. Giro sponsorships are quite difficult to obtain for any pro, even just a gear deal, and yet look at all the Aeroheads out there. My own Giro Aerohead tested significantly fasater than the LG P09, which was the fastest helmet I otherwise tested. Originally, I chose that LG P09 based on the ST feedback of it being very fast on most riders. It didn't disappoint.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's also the "50% off" while it's very obviously not a $400 helmet. I was happy with my wingspan, but now use aerohead. Mips, better construction, visor, etc. And I also see them for $175 frequently. Rudys pricing/marketing make it feel like a cheap TV infomercial product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest beef with anything I have ever owned from RP (2 helmets and 2 pair of sunglasses) has ALWAYS broken with minimal to no trauma. It seems like the plastic they use is cheap.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Why the shade on Rudy Project [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rudy Project isn't terrible, but their pricing is odd because they're always on sale at 40-50% off, team deals will get you 60-75% off, they give great deals and they have wins, but their pricing is just unstable.
Quote Reply