Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Men only triathlon? [pointless_chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pointless_chip wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
[Political correctness, in essence, is just trying to avoid being an asshole.

That is BS.

*graps the popcorn* Pretty funny that triathletes find the time to have these kind of arguments.

LOL today is a rest day.
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
[Political correctness, in essence, is just trying to avoid being an asshole.

That is BS.

What do you think political correctness means? I'm going with:

"language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society"

So, perhaps I should add 2 words to my previous response as follows:
Quote:
Political correctness, in essence, is just trying to avoid being perceived as an asshole

How's that?

Of course there are actually two different "political correctness" realities.
The first is as I've stated above. The second is the use of the phrase to describe any perceived oppression of opinion. I accept some people go too far in trying to enforce political correctness to the point that reasonable discussion is subverted. If you're thinking of number two, perhaps that explains your response....perhaps not.
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:

No I just like asking rhetorical question on ST...….eyeroll. Yes seriously if you can give a serious factual answer and not some perceived challenge.

Can I ask what you consider makes something factual here as opposed to perceived?
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Huh?

First - I'm not British.

Second - What was the comment supposed to mean anyway? Are you trying to start a row about table manners?

Most Americans don't have a row and honestly don't know what a row is...or rather they have rows all the time and just don't know it.

Would you happen to be from the greater commonwealth?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whether it could fly, should fly . . . it won't fly. People are wound WAAAAAAY too tight to allow the freedom to do something like that. Our culture is much too repressive to even let it be discussed without recrimination. [Putting my helmet on. Will I be banned for typing this post?]
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Huh?

First - I'm not British.

Second - What was the comment supposed to mean anyway? Are you trying to start a row about table manners?

Most Americans don't have a row and honestly don't know what a row is...or rather they have rows all the time and just don't know it.

Nope, not from the commonwealth either. This is fun!

Next guess?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Huh?

First - I'm not British.

Next guess?

Not Canada... Your to brass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Huh?

First - I'm not British.

Next guess?

Not Canada... Your to brass.
Nope. Not Canada (plus I believe Canada is in the commonwealth, so already excluded)

What's "brass" besides an alloy of zinc copper?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not familiar with that term?

Hmm another clue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it may be the context that has me confused.

If you'd written "You're too brass" it would make more sense. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A French journalist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it has been brought to my attention that our thread here has crossed social media lines to other outlets.
The individuals have taken up this very question and have not even had the common courtesy to mention that they read it on slowtwitch. Whether you agree or disagree with me on this individual topic it should offend everyone of us as slowtwitchers that this forum is not being given the credit for its complex conversations. I believe some of these individuals either are or were former members of slow-twitch who now hide in your highly moderated areas IE there safe space.
In fact when they started this conversation saying that they read it on another forum not only did they not reference us but the individual made it quite clear he will take down any posts that sound hurtful to others. Thanks to you slowtwitch sleuths like popcorn Jones47 guys like Fred and Chris cannot just run amok not giving this forum it's just dues. And by their posts in these other forums it seems quite clear they have not taken the time to actually read the thread. We may not agree on here but as JasoninHalifax stated we are community for better or worse. You don't get to leave the community pirate our information and conversations and not give us credit for it. Obviously slowtwitch was not the place for them as we tend to weed out all non hackers.-not pink😂

Edit- I see on your group rules Fred you take the time to make a backhanded comment about slowtwitch.saying this is a bunch of white noise andn trolls but yet after a hiatus you sure as heck took the time to come back and post here about qualifying for Kona and age group Nationals.
Maybe take the time to read this entire thread and see this is an adult conversation not just a highly moderated safe space which is I guess what you prefer.

Damian
Last edited by: Fishbum: Nov 20, 18 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not really what i mean by "internalized misogyny," more like attitudes lots of people have that, at their root, are based in women or femininity being denigrated. Even things like "as a man I need to be masculine"; pause to think about what's the problem with being insufficiently masculine? Well, not masculine = feminine = bad. Internalized misogyny simply refers to what you find at the root when you follow these very common, implicit feelings all the way down to their core. Similarly, when people say they can't work with women because their wife might not approve or they might be attracted to them or whatever (i.e., the Mike Pences of the world), at root it means you're unable to see a woman as an equal colleague worthy of your engagement.

I agree with you that this sport tries to do its level best to be very inclusive.

To Fishbum, I don't think i'm minimizing or assuming away men's issues, I know they have issues. It's more that, if you take away the category of issues that are driven by internalized misogyny, I'm skeptical that whatever issues remain are ones that can be solved by excluding women.

I realize men do experience shit like stalking, harassment, etc., as the rugbydude said; in fact, my understanding is that MOST stalkers are women. But remember, the violent ones (i.e. the ones you hear about the most) are almost exclusively men, Fatal Attraction aside. And that's the critical difference between men's and women's experience, the harassment they experience is not only continuous but also can be legitimately dangerous. And as a result, they get more of a pass to exclude others in the name of not being intimidated etc.

To whoever made the point about all male sporting clubs back in the day, I guess I do see your point, but i also wonder if those were a vestige of an earlier time (i.e. one where we would have gone to the pub to socialize with just men, would not have worked with women other than secretaries) that maybe ought to go away for good. But I don't know. Maybe people see value there and would disagree.
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying. That's what makes this forum what it is. Discussion-even when it's uncomfortable.
And not hiding in a safe space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on Fred d don't sit on your highly moderated forum bashing This Thread and not come on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Would this fly?
Would there be interest?

Before anyone goes off the rails there was a all women Tri in Philadelphia and up until 2 yrs ago other ones in PA.

What say you?

In this world, there are many things I care about, some of them quite deeply.

However, the category of things that "... I've never cared about, don't care about now, and will never care about in the future ..." includes:

1) The genitalia of the other folks who participate in triathlons with me. Don't care if they have penises, vaginas, or both/neither/something else. Why anyone else would care about that is beyond me...

2) Whether a group of people that have a certain type of genitalia (or, for that matter, consider themselves to be comparable to that...) feel uncomfortable participating in triathlon events with people who have different genitalia - and, therefore, want to have an event without them.

I will continue to choose the triathlon events I participate in based on more relevant factors such as distance, schedule, location, course design, reputation of the event sponsors, etc.

All that being said, if the "he-man women haters club" can find enough participants who want to do triathlons with a "girls keep out of the clubhouse" theme, then I say "have at it". Let me know how it turns out...
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
Whether it could fly, should fly . . . it won't fly. People are wound WAAAAAAY too tight to allow the freedom to do something like that. Our culture is much too repressive to even let it be discussed without recrimination. [Putting my helmet on. Will I be banned for typing this post?]

What makes our culture "much too repressive"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting - I would be okay with a male only triathlon if one was hosted but it would not be the sole race I did/do.

I think there may be some men out there that have insecurities (maybe how they look or getting beat by the opposite sex) and would like to race with same gender. A male only race might get them into the hobby and maybe help work their confidence up to start racing with women.

I will be the first to admit - I get stomped by women all the time and being overweight earlier in my life causes me to have some insecurities.... Doesn't stop me from racing though and I don't feel self conscious about racing with either sex.

I did not read "everything" in this thread so I probably missed a lot haha, basic sum ups - if you have a significant other that's jealous of you racing with other sex - then its time to grow up or find the root cause of why that partner feels that way. If you are a type that is going to "stock" or could "harm" someone...... Seek help...
Last edited by: teddygram: Nov 21, 18 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:

Apparently it's repressive to oppose the repression of others.
Seriously, those who complain that society is threatening their freedom of speech, are almost always the same people who want to use that freedom to repress or oppress others.
IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
walie wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:

Apparently it's repressive to oppose the repression of others.
Seriously, those who complain that society is threatening their freedom of speech, are almost always the same people who want to use that freedom to repress or oppress others.
IMO

AKA white males. I totally agree with you on that point though. There are way too many people in our society now that don’t care to see things through the eyes of anyone but themselves. And those who do that have the advantage of being able to do that because most things don’t negatively impact them.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next