Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Good Reads and Recommendations [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
I reluctantly read the first few chapters of the Goldfinch, was hooked at some point and ultimately amazed. On that point alone I'll put the Secret History on the list, but the Goldfinch may have been a one-of-a kind experience for me!

Touching the Void scares me.....I know the premise. How deep do I want to go into that story?

Scott

It's a superb book. As well as the underlying story it is very well written. (and then you can layer it with watching the documentary which is also a superb example of the genre)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved Running the Rift - its about the Rwanda genocide and there are some tough parts, but a very inspiring book about a young runner growing up in that country.

It's old, but Kaffir Boy is a GREAT true story as well.

I would second The Nightingale. Just fantastic. The Great Alone is Kristin Hannah's newest book and it is amazing.
Last edited by: uptown423: Nov 19, 18 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Good Reads and Recommendations [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For anyone who enjoys the ocean or surfing, I suggest:

Caught Inside-Daniel Duane (Very well written. I have read it three times over ten years.)

Dirt Music and Breath, both by Tim Winton. He is from Australia. His descriptions of the ocean and people are amazing. I think these two novels are his best.

I may not be fast, but once I get going, it is hard to stop me...
Quote Reply
Re: Good Reads and Recommendations [BigPat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice; the spirit of the ocean and surfing does speak to me. Thanks for the share.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Good Reads and Recommendations [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely read it. Those dudes went through hell!
Quote Reply
Re: Good Reads and Recommendations [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man. I love that genre as well. I put them all in my queue. The human ability to suffer and spirit to survive is amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Good Reads and Recommendations [TriLes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barbarian Days is phe-no-mi-nal.

Sir Isaacs Storm is a good one.

Devil in the White City as well.

"This ain't no wedding dance, get moving" - SS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for "Shoe Dog" by Phil Knight - I just finished it, couldn't put it down.

Some great ideas here for my next one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prince of Tides.
Once an Eagle.
Both are fiction and not related, but are very good reads during the cold months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the non-fiction end of things.....

"Role Models" by John Waters (the film maker)

"White Line Fever" (semi auto) biography of Lemmy (from Motorhead)

I don't even know where to begin with a description of what's in these two books. I really enjoyed both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fly Girls, How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History
by Keith Obrien

https://www.amazon.com/...irls+keith+o%27brien

Superbly well done. It chronicles the history of the women aviators of the 20's and 30's who demanded the same right to die in an airplane crash as men.
Quote Reply
Re: Good Reads and Recommendations [sametime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sametime wrote:
Fly Girls, How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History
by Keith Obrien

https://www.amazon.com/...irls+keith+o%27brien

Superbly well done. It chronicles the history of the women aviators of the 20's and 30's who demanded the same right to die in an airplane crash as men.

New York Times have this as one of their best books of the year; getting it for one of the kids this x-mas

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Christopher McDougall

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hello,

It's reading season and I need a new book. Ideally, something with a combination of inspiration and entertainment.

Personal favorites include Once a Runner, The Rider, The River Why (fishing), Old Man and the Sea.

Recently read all Gaimon's stuff (light, entertaining), Running with Buffalos (good), Gold in the Water (didn't work for me). Previously read Iron War (great), Slaying the Badger (good), Racing in the Dark (ok), Rough Rider (ok), Unbroken (good), Into Thin Air (breathtaking).

Unrelated from sport, I recently took a recommendation from the Wife and loved The Goldfinch (amazing read).

What should I read next? Share your favorites here.

Scott

Highly recommend: Pre - The story of America's Greatest Running Legend
Decent read: Out of Nowhere - The Inside Story of how Nike marketed the culture of running

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Good Reads and Recommendations [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In search of lost time by Marcel Proust. It has sentences as long as American contracts/legalese except it’s actually well written.
Quote Reply
Re: Good Reads and Recommendations [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not surprisingly, it appears that we all read the same stuff!

I’ll add “The Yellow Jersey”, about an aging (experienced) cyclist competing in the Tour. Hoping it’ll be a movie some day.

Started , Boys in the Boat this morning after it’s sat on my shelf for the last year.

boilerup wrote:
Second for Boys in the Boat, and Unbroken. Also, Born to Run, and Running with the Buffaloes. Lots of recommendations for fiction too, if you want....
Quote Reply

Prev Next