Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Proportional representation vs first past the post voting systems
Quote | Reply
Our province is having a referendum to see whether or not we should ditch our current voting system (FPP) in favour of one of three systems of Proportional Representation.

Id like to hear from those who live in areas that use proportional representation. What do you like/dislike about it? For those who use FPP, would you switch? Why or why not?

Personally, I feel that voter apathy is a bigger problem then which system we use, and that switching won't really solve any of our issues. I think getting 70-80% voter turnout would do a lot more to help our political systems. It's hard to say that the system is currently broken when we have never really used it properly.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Proportional representation vs first past the post voting systems [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes

Same problem in UK but you get to move away from a two party system too OK nebthat has more interest in representing those that elect them
Quote Reply
Re: Proportional representation vs first past the post voting systems [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We currently have 3 major parties provincially and 4.5 nationally.

Greens: (hard left on environmental issues, not really pro-union though)

NDP: more of a traditional pro-union left leaning party.

Liberals: centerist, probably closest to USA's Dem party under Hillary in how they are described as 'corporate democrats'.

Conservative: business focused conservatives, not particularly socially conservative compared to US cons.

Bloc: Bunch of racist, whiney French people. Primarily concerned with preservation of quebec culture and french language. Part of the national election, yet, only represented in Quebec.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Proportional representation vs first past the post voting systems [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess you need to describe the options your being given. Isn't one of the rights, not to vote. I vote, but more and more feel like it doesn't matter. None of the candidates really talks about what there going to do when elected or more correctly how they are going to do it.

We just elected a Govt, who ran on the campaign that she is going to fix the Dam roads. No explanation how. All I can say if she doesn't she is done in 4 cause thats all she really ran on. And there is no way, ZERO that she can fix the roads in 4 yrs. She wont even be able to make a dent in the problem cause its so bad, she is going to have to find money, then get it reappropriated then start then projects. Her best hope is the entire state is full of Barrels in 4 yrs. But again thats pretty normal also.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Proportional representation vs first past the post voting systems [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny,

Running errands today and I just mailed ours off.

I personally voted FPP, the primary issue was the way the ballot was worded. In effect giving you the choice of FPP...or three separate PP voting systems.

I’ve been in the interior for 21 years and a lot of our MLA’s were local councillors/mayors etc before, I know a few personally so you get to know the face of the person who is responsible for your area....for better or worse they represent your community.

With some models of PP you would essentially get another beurocrat who “could” be appointed and doesn’t have a local stake in the game.

2c

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot Bernier's People's Party. If anyone is going to capture the whiney racist vote, I think its them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rather than FPTP vs PR, I'd think that ranked choice would be the better option.

If our elected representatives are crappy, it's because it is a reflection of voters responding to crappy incentives - specifically partisanship. If we're to have better incentives, we need a way for our representatives to play nice and appeal to voters beyond the immediate base. FPTP and some of the PR systems seem to do the opposite.
Last edited by: timbasile: Nov 17, 18 14:15
Quote Reply