Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pls critique position
Quote | Reply
Had bike fit 6 mos ago- feel I could stretch out a little more now. I do TT/Olympic distances, usually 25 mi or less.
I actually elevated seat 0.5 cm right after this, but didn't feel worth repeating pic.
Suggestions?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Pls critique position [ret123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That picture is pretty low quality, so it's hard to unleash specific abuse.

But for a 1990's era flip phone camera, the position doesn't look terrible.
Quote Reply
Re: Pls critique position [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha, sorry i realize that, but i started w/ a 10 sec video and kept having to carve it up to meet the 250 kb std upload max.
Should I be stretched out a little more?
Last edited by: ret123: Nov 16, 18 15:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per the recent discussion of fit orthodoxy, I'd say what's pictured is a reasonably orthodox starting point.

If that's comfortable, and you wanted to experiment and join the Slowtwitch Cool-Guy/Fast-Bro club, the front could be lowered so the back is flatter, you could stretch out a little more, and the hands could come up.

But what you have there could be perfectly fast and effective. In my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ret123 wrote:
haha, sorry i realize that, but i started w/ a 10 sec video and kept having to carve it up to meet the 250 kb std upload max.
Should I be stretched out a little more?

Really hard to tell much. You can take a screenshot of the video, or there is software that will turn frames into .jpg... Irfanview?

Raising the saddle was probably going the wrong direction.

Instead of reaching down with your shoulders, lower your torso, and bring your shoulders forward towards your ears. Turtle and shrug. Raise the pads if necessary. Increase reach if it helps adopt and hold the position.

Quote Reply
Re: Pls critique position [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raising the hands by 5-10cm is likely to be more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Instead of reaching down with your shoulders, lower your torso, and bring your shoulders forward towards your ears. Turtle and shrug. Raise the pads if necessary. Increase reach if it helps adopt and hold the position.

This is exactly what I did recently, my shoulders were 'reaching' as well. Raised the armpads, shrugged down, was -so- much more comfortable. I don't know if it was truly more aero, but it allowed me to actually hold the position for much longer periods Ended up faster on less watts. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ret123 wrote:
Had bike fit 6 mos ago- feel I could stretch out a little more now. I do TT/Olympic distances, usually 25 mi or less.
I actually elevated seat 0.5 cm right after this, but didn't feel worth repeating pic.
Suggestions?
Thanks.
The picture is too poor to tell. Upload a video to Youtube and share the link.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Pls critique position [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Raised the armpads, shrugged down, was -so- much more comfortable. I don't know if it was truly more aero

Was for me. Turtling the head below the shoulders seems to be key, as well as shrugging. Plenty of reach seems to help. The ends of my extensions are 10cm above the pads too, and I can get my chin pretty much in line with the top of my hands. I haven't tried lowering the hands yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Plenty of reach seems to help.

Reach fixes a lot of aero and comfort issues. A can only get so low, but Cd is much more adjustable

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply