Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Direct drive trainer power drift with temperature
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I started riding trainerroad using virtual power provided by Misuro sensor with the Elite Turbo Muin trainer. I ride the trainer more or less outside in an unheated garage. Now that the temperatures start to fall I realized that it takes 15-20 min or so until the trainer is warmed up and the watt numbers start to make sense. Do all direct drive trainers have this kind of issue? Or would a smart trainer display the correct power even if the temperature and the internal resistance of the flywheel is off?

Thanks for your input.
Uli
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive trainer power drift with temperature [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is fluid viscosity. When you start cold, the fluid in the resistance unit is thick and high resistance. As you ride, the fluid heats up until it stabilizes. As it heats up, it becomes less viscous and therefore less resistive.

The nut is that there is no fix for virtual power for any fluid trainer. But, if you have an external PM or your trainer has real power, this solves for the variable resistance of fluid or whatever the braking mechanism.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive trainer power drift with temperature [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fluid trainer (older el-cheapo fluid trainer from Nashbar, I think) actually does the opposite: After 7-8 minutes, there is a fairly quick jump in resistance... as if the fluid got thicker. My guess is that it expands as it heats up, and with higher heat/pressure, it is more resistive.

It doesn't really matter in the end. I used to train by HR (now I have a powermeter), so finding the ride load for a given cadence is just a matter of shifting. I know I'll have to shift to an "easier" gear sometime in the first 10 minutes, so it is no big deal.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply